Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP - Inside Fraud? This is CRAZY!!

tag
rexbolt
Valued Member

CSP - Inside Fraud? This is CRAZY!!

During the summer I applied for and got a CSP with a $5000 CL. I never activated the card when it came, as I was using some other card at the time. Seriously, this card has never seen the light of day beyond being moved from the envelope it came in to the drawer. Again, never even activated the card. About a month ago, I get a fraud alert text from Chase. Somebody tried to use the card online to buy shoes. So we cancled the card and a new one was sent out. Again, I got it, never activated it. Went right intop the drawer. So I wake up this morning, a lo and behold, another fraud alert text form Chase about someone trying to use this new unactivated card, to buy shoes online. **bleep**??!!!

I went ahead an just canceled the card altogether this time. This has to be an inside job. IMO. 

My Wallet: Amex BCP $19.5K | BOA Cash Rewards $15K | BOA Better Balance $10K | Cap One Venture $10K | Cap One QS $3K | Chase Freedom $4.5K | Barclay Rewards WMC $5K | Citi Simplicity $8.4K | Discover It! $2K | Huntington Voice $5K | PNC Cash Builder VS $17.5K | Total Rewards VS $12K | Sams Club $7.5K
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: CSP - Inside Fraud? This is CRAZY!!

It happens and it's not unique to Chase.  It does not have to be an inside job either.  Make sure you monitor all your open accounts whether the card is activated or not.

Message 2 of 26
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you apped for a card and never activated or used it? CSP has a sign up bonus, so why bother if you weren't going to use it?

FYI - just because it has not been activated does not mean it cannot be used. In fact, unactivated cards are at risk for fraud as are any other card:

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/sticker-activate-new-credit-card-1282.php

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@emptypockets wrote:

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you apped for a card and never activated or used it? CSP has a sign up bonus, so why bother if you weren't going to use it?

FYI - just because it has not been activated does not mean it cannot be used. In fact, unactivated cards are at risk for fraud as are any other card:

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/sticker-activate-new-credit-card-1282.php

+1.  Seems very strange to do that. Why take the hit for an inquiry just to sit in your drawer. Missed a golden opportunity to get some valuable points with Chase

Message 4 of 26
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Just for the irony factor I think I would've had them replace the card, activated it, and immediately bought shoes online.
Message 5 of 26
NRB525
Super Contributor

@disdreamin wrote:
Just for the irony factor I think I would've had them replace the card, activated it, and immediately bought shoes online.

Gives new meaning to the concept of "stealing someone's shoes"

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 26
Strogen
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@emptypockets wrote:

+1.  Seems very strange to do that. Why take the hit for an inquiry just to sit in your drawer. Missed a golden opportunity to get some valuable points with Chase

Some people just dont care about credit cards or rewards, such as OP. 

My former roommate did this garbage. I had him apply for 4 credit cards and he only activated one and just left the rest on the floor in the corner of his room. 

I eventually forced him to activate the cards but it was an ordeal. Ill never understand some people. 

807 TU FICO Score 8.
Message 7 of 26
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It's fine not to care about rewards or bonuses (the CSP rewards don't do much for me since I don't travel), but if that's the case, get a card with no AF. An unused AF card is an expensive thing to keep in a drawer.

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

It's fine not to care about rewards or bonuses (the CSP rewards don't do much for me since I don't travel), but if that's the case, get a card with no AF. An unused AF card is an expensive thing to keep in a drawer.

I hope you realize that the UR points you earn on the CSP can be used for a lot of other things besides travel including gift card, product purchases and cash back

Message 9 of 26
kdm31091
Super Contributor

They can, yes, but there's no benefit to a CSP vs. my Amazon Visa in that case. I get 2x dining on Amazon, and it can be redeemed at full value for gift cards, statement credit, whatever. CSP would be the same thing in that regard but it has an AF. The points aren't any more valuable when redeemed outside of travel, unless I am just wrong. Since I don't really travel, I'd only really use CSP for dining, and wouldn't make up the AF.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.