cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP Primary Rental Car Insurance vs American Express Accident Coverage

tag
huntman21014

CSP Primary Rental Car Insurance vs American Express Accident Coverage

Here is my dilemma and I am not sure which is the better option.  Chase recently added Primary Rental Insurance to the CSP and my plan was to use that but I also have the AMEX BCE and they offer additional insurance for $24.95 for up to 30 days.  Does that provide any additonal benefts over the CSP primary insurance that is free?

This is the AMEX insurance I am referring to : https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
jd352
Regular Contributor

Re: CSP Primary Rental Car Insurance vs American Express Accident Coverage

I was wondering the same thing as I rent a car a few times a year. I used to always use Amex, but now that the CSP is basically offerring primary for free, it seems CSP is the way to go.

There is always the issue with if the accident should actually happen, who would you want on your side, Amex or Chase. But, aside from that, what do you guys/gals think?

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 2 of 8
Jdear148
Valued Member

I'm not going to say what my profession is, but let's just say I am specifically I'm knowledgeable on the subject. 

From what I see the chase sapphire preferred is simply a primary collision damage waiver similar to one of the products offered at car rental locations... No need to make a claim with your insurance for damages to the Rental only, it will cover those up to a total loss on most standard sedans, minivans, and maybe a small SUV.  I don't know the road side assist program it offers but it's likely it only covers a tow on rental, not lockout or running out of fuel. 

Amex primary rental coverage does all that, for longer length of time, with more car types, and includes accidental death, dismemberment, and injury.  For a pretty small and fixed fee included on your statement each time you rent. 

Neither have eave any type of third party liability coverage so in the event of you hitting a bus of nuns, you should have your liability card handy. 

All in all, I come to this conclusion, pay the meager amex fee each time you rent and you will have much deeper and broader coverage than the csp

Message 3 of 8
hyprble
Regular Contributor

@Jdear148 Thanks for your input!  I'm curious as well about using CSP for car rentals as I do not have collision coverage on my auto insurance (I have an older vehicle).  I usually call my insurance company to add on collision every time I rent a vehicle.  Will using CSP be ok for covering that?

Starting Score: 557 (2005)
Current Score: 803
Goal Score: 805

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 8
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@hyprble wrote:

@Jdear148 Thanks for your input!  I'm curious as well about using CSP for car rentals as I do not have collision coverage on my auto insurance (I have an older vehicle).  I usually call my insurance company to add on collision every time I rent a vehicle.  Will using CSP be ok for covering that?

If I read the fine print right it only covers if your in an accident and your not at fault. I don't drive at all so couldn't help more then that 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 5 of 8
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@Jdear148 wrote:

I'm not going to say what my profession is, but let's just say I am specifically I'm knowledgeable on the subject. 

From what I see the chase sapphire preferred is simply a primary collision damage waiver similar to one of the products offered at car rental locations... No need to make a claim with your insurance for damages to the Rental only, it will cover those up to a total loss on most standard sedans, minivans, and maybe a small SUV.  I don't know the road side assist program it offers but it's likely it only covers a tow on rental, not lockout or running out of fuel. 

Amex primary rental coverage does all that, for longer length of time, with more car types, and includes accidental death, dismemberment, and injury.  For a pretty small and fixed fee included on your statement each time you rent. 

Neither have eave any type of third party liability coverage so in the event of you hitting a bus of nuns, you should have your liability card handy. 

All in all, I come to this conclusion, pay the meager amex fee each time you rent and you will have much deeper and broader coverage than the csp

Great info!  

I am also wondering if this all applies to international car rental as well.  I will be renting a car in France and in Italy in a few weeks (for a few days).

Are you also saying we should buy the extra liability insurance (I assume the rental company provides this)?

Message 6 of 8
Jdear148
Valued Member

@Dw4250 wrote:

@Jdear148 wrote:

Great info!  

I am also wondering if this all applies to international car rental as well.  I will be renting a car in France and in Italy in a few weeks (for a few days).

Are you also saying we should buy the extra liability insurance (I assume the rental company provides this)?

I do not have a CSP but I know that the T&C for the amex Primary coverage states that it does not work in Italy and 4 other random countries. But living in France, I know you are more than ok with the amex there, also considering driving in another country, with differing traffic flow and regulations, I would suggest supplemental liability protection from your rental company... Just incase

Message 7 of 8
HiLine
Blogger

I believe Amex does not cover loss of use, but I'd love to be proved wrong.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.