Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP Sign-Up Bonus

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSP Sign-Up Bonus

2 days in, I am currently at $445.41 out of the $3,000 for 40,000 UR points. That leaves me with $2,554.59 to spend in ~101 days. Since I received the card, I have been using it for every purchase while temporarily "sock drawering" my other cards. But my daily purchases are not that much, and I spend about $70-80 in gas every week and a half. I should be able to put a dent in it after Christmas shopping and buying the MacBook that I want (~1,600 after tax).

Any tips on how I should go about spending all that money? I have been asking people to let me make purchases for them, if they have the cash up front. And obviously I don't want to go out of my way, spending money that I normally would not. Any advice is appreciated.

On a side note, I purchased some business supplies (to be reimbursed later) at Sam's Club, but of course, they don't accept Visas so that's $220 I lost out on.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: CSP Sign-Up Bonus

@Anonymous wrote:

2 days in, I am currently at $445.41 out of the $3,000 for 40,000 UR points. That leaves me with $2,554.59 to spend in ~101 days. Since I received the card, I have been using it for every purchase while temporarily "sock drawering" my other cards. But my daily purchases are not that much, and I spend about $70-80 in gas every week and a half. I should be able to put a dent in it after Christmas shopping and buying the MacBook that I want (~1,600 after tax).

Any tips on how I should go about spending all that money? I have been asking people to let me make purchases for them, if they have the cash up front. And obviously I don't want to go out of my way, spending money that I normally would not. Any advice is appreciated.

On a side note, I purchased some business supplies (to be reimbursed later) at Sam's Club, but of course, they don't accept Visas so that's $220 I lost out on.

I'd just run all of my normal expenses through it and don't even look for unnecessary stuff to buy. Groceries, utilities (internet, cable, cell phone, etc.), auto insurance, etc. My monthly expenses run at least $1500, so for me, spending $3k in 3 mos would be easy. I guess the pain would be if you have those set to automatically run through a different card and you would have to change the billing.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 2 of 24
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:
I'd just run all of my normal expenses through it and don't even look for unnecessary stuff to buy. Groceries, utilities (internet, cable, cell phone, etc.), auto insurance, etc. My monthly expenses run at least $1500, so for me, spending $3k in 3 mos would be easy. I guess the pain would be if you have those set to automatically run through a different card and you would have to change the billing.

+1...I hit about 1100 last month...no groceries.  you shouldn't have to look too hard, your budget would be a good place to look first.

Message 3 of 24
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Visa gift cards from walmart, you can use them for your normal purchases later on down the road, so it's money spent... but not really spent... lol

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 4 of 24
Involus
Regular Contributor

The Visa gift card thing is actually a pretty nifty trick depending on your bank. You could purchase a reloadable one for like 2.6k with your CSP, go buy your Macbook and go to your bank and have them deposit the rest from the card. I bank with Chase and whenever I get a Visa giftcard I go down there and they deposit the amount the card is worth no problem. I'm not sure about other banks/branches but mine doesn't give me any greif.

Edit: Accidently put Amex where I meant to put CSP.

Message 5 of 24
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@CotySinz wrote:

The Visa gift card thing is actually a pretty nifty trick depending on your bank. You could purchase a reloadable one for like 2.6k with your Amex, go buy your Macbook and go to your bank and have them deposit the rest from the card. I bank with Chase and whenever I get a Visa giftcard I go down there and they deposit the amount the card is worth no problem. I'm not sure about other banks/branches but mine doesn't give me any greif.

I don't think I'd do this unless you want to trigger a FR. I think that would raise a huge red flag with them, IMO.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 24
Involus
Regular Contributor

I didn't mean Amex, I ment CSP. He has no use to do it with an Amex as it won't help his sign-up bonus for the CSP. I mistakenly did that thinking about my BCE sign up bonus. My mistake.

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

All good advice so far, thanks guys. Also another question, I just added a friend on my csp as an authorized user. If he uses the card, will his transactions apply towards the $3000 I need to spend?

Message 8 of 24
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

All good advice so far, thanks guys. Also another question, I just added a friend on my csp as an authorized user. If he uses the card, will his transactions apply towards the $3000 I need to spend?

Be careful with that.  Monitor what your friend charges as you will be responsible for the bill.  Yes, the transactions will count towards your 3k goal.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 24
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey add me too!  I'll help you get some points.  lol.  This thread just made a wrong turn.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.