Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP Sign-Up Bonus

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CSP Sign-Up Bonus

Yeah he's responsible he just hasn't been enlightened about credit yet. Ill recommend him to these boards lol. But yeah I told him to apply for a credit card over the summer and he was at the stage where only capital one secured would approve him. 

Message 11 of 24
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah he's responsible he just hasn't been enlightened about credit yet. Ill recommend him to these boards lol. But yeah I told him to apply for a credit card over the summer and he was at the stage where only capital one secured would approve him

No problem with that.  That was where I started my rebuild.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 24
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

OP- an authorized user gets the benefits, credit-score wise, whether he actually gets a physical card or not. I could see how you might think having him help you earn the bonus would be worth it, but you are playing with fire. He may make a purchase the day before your statement cuts (messing up utilization, number of cards with balance). He may be tempted to use the card on something he'll have the money for "next week" (next week is always next week), etc.

But its your decision. I hope you don't pay for your kindness. As to ways you can hit the target spend:

1. pay your insurance premiums with a credit card (you can often pre-pay if you are anywhere near renewal).

2. use amazon payments to send money to someone, up to 1000/month (not yourself, despite what the interwebs say, its a setup for getting your card closed), 

3. kiva- yes, you run the risk of not being repaid, but they claim a 98% repayment rate. So you loan a third world farmer some cash, he pays you back when the crop sells (for example), you get the miles and your money back, eventually.

4. charitable donations- if you itemize, time is running out to hit your max deduction. Use a card for the donation, get the points/bonus, your charity gets the benefit of your cash, you get some benefit from tax deduction.

5. There are other ways to make the minimum, but would only use if you are running out of time, as they all have fees: auto loan, mortgage (through chargesmart.com, watch out for the "large payment fee"), taxes (several sites, expect to pay about 3% fee).

Hope this helps. I wouldn't have had to look any of these up if the card had gotten here before Xmas shopping was done (it didn't), so may have to at least use Amazon payments to send some money to the wife. I'll probably hit the spend anyway, but it is nice to not have to stress.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 13 of 24
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Never just buy something you would otherwise not have, had you no spending requirement to make.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 14 of 24
LesWH
Established Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

Never just buy something you would otherwise not have, had you no spending requirement to make.

+1000000!!!!!!

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Repo-ed wrote:

+1. Yeah that's what I'm trying really hard not to do

Message 16 of 24
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Amazon payments.
Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 17 of 24
Kendro
Contributor

I typically spend $600 a month on bills such as gas, phone, gym, cable, etc.  If I had to charge more, I'd put purchases that I normally pay with cash on the card such as lunch and coffee.  Whenever I sign up for these promo offers, I always make sure it coincides with my car insurance payment (I pay twice a year in six-month installments).

I wouldn't get nervous so soon though.  You have plenty of time.

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kendro wrote:

I typically spend $600 a month on bills such as gas, phone, gym, cable, etc.  If I had to charge more, I'd put purchases that I normally pay with cash on the card such as lunch and coffee.  Whenever I sign up for these promo offers, I always make sure it coincides with my car insurance payment (I pay twice a year in six-month installments).

Yeah I luckily got approved in time for holiday shopping. Was originally going to apply sometime in march next year. If that was the case then I would have to worry 

Message 19 of 24
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@Kendro wrote:

THIS!

I will be doing this if I get either the BCP or Freedom which both have promo bonuses. 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.