cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP better for dining spend than Forward?

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Re: CSP better for dining spend than Forward?

Perhaps I need to do more research on TYP and UR and see how I can use what. I know UR will definitely be used for transferring.
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 21 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Honestly, I'd keep the Forward and continue to try out the CSP. You can evaluate later if the CSP actually will work for you with it's AF.

I understand the intent of what you are saying, but there is no real need to "try out" a card to see if it will work with the AF. Instead, simply do the math. Numbers don't lie. What do you spend every month? On what categories? This will tell you what your rewards total will be. Compare that against the AF and decide if it makes sense over a no AF card.

I just don't understand the whole "try it out" thing when you can simply run the numbers (there are plenty of charts around here as well!) and figure it out without applying. I know OP already has the CSP anyway, but obtaining cards to then decide if they will work for you or not is IMO unnecessary.

Why run the numbers when the bonus makes it worth it the first year? You evaluate it while you have the card, and THEN make the determination whether it's worth to keep it.

Message 22 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Honestly, I'd keep the Forward and continue to try out the CSP. You can evaluate later if the CSP actually will work for you with it's AF.

I understand the intent of what you are saying, but there is no real need to "try out" a card to see if it will work with the AF. Instead, simply do the math. Numbers don't lie. What do you spend every month? On what categories? This will tell you what your rewards total will be. Compare that against the AF and decide if it makes sense over a no AF card.

I just don't understand the whole "try it out" thing when you can simply run the numbers (there are plenty of charts around here as well!) and figure it out without applying. I know OP already has the CSP anyway, but obtaining cards to then decide if they will work for you or not is IMO unnecessary.

Why run the numbers when the bonus makes it worth it the first year? You evaluate it while you have the card, and THEN make the determination whether it's worth to keep it.

Yes, but for real bonus chasing, you probably don't intend to keep the card anyway, so not really trying it out, as much as meeting minimum spend!

Message 23 of 32
myjourney
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, but for real bonus chasing, you probably don't intend to keep the card anyway, so not really trying it out, as much as meeting minimum spend!

X2 

Meet spend, collect bonus and unless it has another useful category SD until time to assess AF

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 24 of 32
rlx01
Established Contributor

TYP are best used by transferring to a travel partner like Singapore Airlines.

A Suites redemption would value each TYP at over 10cpp, making the Forward basically return 50% on dining.

I flew Singapore Suites using a combo of MR/UR and saved close to 34k.

It was awesome.
Message 25 of 32
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@rlx01 wrote:
TYP are best used by transferring to a travel partner like Singapore Airlines.

A Suites redemption would value each TYP at over 10cpp, making the Forward basically return 50% on dining.

I flew Singapore Suites using a combo of MR/UR and saved close to 34k.

It was awesome.

an estimate of 50% is a little high Smiley Tongue 

Message 26 of 32
greasypeanut
Established Member

If I'm not mistaken, this is your second post about the forward card and whether you should keep it or in this case use another card. In the previous thread you said you spend a lot on dining. If you do, you should be able to hit the 10,000 threshold to obtain the $100 gift cards fairly easy. $100 gift cards aren't devalued like statement credits and the lower denomination gift cards. Also fwiw I used my forward points to rent a car through the typ portal and it was not devalued either.
eq score 789-----ex score 794

CSP $10k - - - - - Freedom $11k
TY Pref $6.8k - - - - - Forward $13.1k
Blue $20k - - - - -Cash + $19.5k
Venture $15k - - - - -Best Buy RZ MC $4.5k (1st card 10 years ago, refuse to attempt CLI due to HP)
Message 27 of 32
jsucool76
Super Contributor

10k spend gets you a 500$ gift card, not a 100$ gift card

#5%
Message 28 of 32
icyhot
Valued Contributor

10000 points for $100 gift card = $2000 spent. Hmm ok. Got some things to figure out
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 29 of 32
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Why run the numbers when the bonus makes it worth it the first year?

Because not everyone churns and those that do not churn should consider the long term.  Do not assume your situation and preferences to be universal.  In any case, running numbers is really no big deal if one has been properly tracking spend and is budgeting.

As longtime points out, churners don't need to evaluate the card by using either since they're just bonus chasing.  The bonus itself is all they need to make the determination.

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.