cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP in-branch application without banking relationship?

tag
C24Webb
Regular Contributor

CSP in-branch application without banking relationship?

I've been eyeing the CSP for a while now, and I'm looking to apply this summer... I've read that the signup bonus is the same when applying in a branch, with the minimum spending amount reduced to $2,000.  My relationship with Chase is solely through my Freedom (no checking or other banking accounts).  Would I be allowed to just walk in and ask to speak with a banker to apply for the card?  Would that be odd?  Or am I just thinking into this too much?  Has anyone here applied for a Chase card with a banker with just a CC account?

Thanks in advance for the input... I know this might be a lame question, but I like to be prepared for customer service situations (especially credit-related) as best as possible!

Card/Limit/Opened — Discover it: $27,600 2/14 | Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10,500 7/14 | Banana Republic Visa: $10,000 7/14 | USAA Cash Rewards Visa Signature: $9,000 6/11 | Chase Freedom: $2,000 3/12
History — AAoA: 42 months | Oldest account: 119 months (including AU) | Inquiries: 1 EX 0 EQ 0 TU | Score: 765 (Discover TU) 750 (USAA CreditCheck Monitoring EX FAKO)
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Shock
Established Contributor

Re: CSP in-branch application without banking relationship?

I have. I had no checking/savings. Only a chase amazon. denied for a chase freedom 8 months prior. applied for a chase freedom and got my foot in with a $500 dollar limit.

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 2 of 9
Cookie2120987
Frequent Contributor

@C24Webb wrote:

I've been eyeing the CSP for a while now, and I'm looking to apply this summer... I've read that the signup bonus is the same when applying in a branch, with the minimum spending amount reduced to $2,000.  My relationship with Chase is solely through my Freedom (no checking or other banking accounts).  Would I be allowed to just walk in and ask to speak with a banker to apply for the card?  Would that be odd?  Or am I just thinking into this too much?  Has anyone here applied for a Chase card with a banker with just a CC account?

Thanks in advance for the input... I know this might be a lame question, but I like to be prepared for customer service situations (especially credit-related) as best as possible!

It's not odd IMO, my employer uses chase as there local bank and while on a bank run for the company I talked to the teller for a bit about there cards and she said they average a few applications a day. Though I didn't personally apply she did give me a paper application which I nearly filled out last month but stopped midway through when she mentioned with my lower income I might need a co-signer.

Message 3 of 9
C24Webb
Regular Contributor

Thank you both for your input.  I feel better about applying in a branch now, haha.  

Card/Limit/Opened — Discover it: $27,600 2/14 | Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10,500 7/14 | Banana Republic Visa: $10,000 7/14 | USAA Cash Rewards Visa Signature: $9,000 6/11 | Chase Freedom: $2,000 3/12
History — AAoA: 42 months | Oldest account: 119 months (including AU) | Inquiries: 1 EX 0 EQ 0 TU | Score: 765 (Discover TU) 750 (USAA CreditCheck Monitoring EX FAKO)
Message 4 of 9
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

I would.  All the employees at my local Chase branch are very friendly.

Message 5 of 9
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I would have done it but Chase is like 8'000 miles away with the nearest branch...so online only for me and 3K spend ..Smiley Happy..Go for it and Good luck!

Message 6 of 9
lmashimaru
Valued Member

I have my own banker who has dealt with several generations of my family and it's no difference between applying online and in branch. The only difference is the minimum spending. Though i can say that the more banking history and relationship you have with Chase the easier it is to get the cards.

For example I started at chase with just a college checking for 2 years then got a slate for $500 (when i had crappy credit) and 6 months later got approved for both the Freedom and CSP though i had to call RECON.

Also the bankers have really no say in helping you get the card if you're not approved. You would still have to call the RECON line if you are not approved in branch since the bankers usually wont do that for you. But i would still suggest applying in branch if you have the opportunity since the minimum for the bonus is $1000 lower and simply call RECON if you're not approved.

Since you have a Freedom if you have been either PIF or making decent payments and low UTI then i'm pretty sure you have a good chance (seeing as your credit is decent, clear of major delinquency, and your income is OK). Thats the reason i like chase though cause they look at things other than your credit.

GOOD LUCK! 

Experian - 749 Equifax - 765 Transunion - 756 [ FAKO EnhancedITP Pulled 06/07/2014 ]
Cards:
Chase [Sapphire Preferred - $5000] :: [Freedom - $ 2000] :: [Slate - $500] :: [Amazon Visa - $1000]
Barclays [Arrival + - $900]
In the Garden for a long time now that I've gotten the cards i want.
Message 7 of 9
C24Webb
Regular Contributor

Thank you all... One last thing: is the application in branch done with the banker (on a computer) or do they give you a paper application? Or do you have a choice between the two?

Message 8 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

@C24Webb wrote:

Thank you all... One last thing: is the application in branch done with the banker (on a computer) or do they give you a paper application? Or do you have a choice between the two?

I applied for a biz card in the branch and they had me sit down with the rep and she entered the app into the computer. I only had a Freedom card at the time and no accounts there. She basically told me I had to wait to get the results in the mail. I ended up calling recon and they denied me at the time for not having enough revolver history. Bottom line was that going into the branch did not help me at all and I would have obtained the same results with an online app. Also the offer in the branch was the same as online for that particular card. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.