Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP increase too soon??

tag
bobvette
Regular Contributor

Re: CSP increase too soon??

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:
first, bobvette: it is NEVER a good idea to include the phrase "you people" in an internet post. second, the csp has an interest rate of 15.24%. it is therefore. poor choice for carrying a balance. if you got 12 months no interest, then it doesn't apply to you for those 12 months. but you are the first person I have ever heard of getting an interest free period on the csp. the op didn't. neither did I. my point was about economic value, not some paranoia about how credit issuers "think". carrying a balance on a high interest rewards card negates the value of the rewards, thus negating the purpose of the card. maybe next time just respond to what is written instead of making assumptions. deal?

So, are you saying you are not one of “those people” who preach the value of low utilization?  I would be willing to bet that if we looked at your previous posts you have referenced it more than once. Secondly, I did not see where the OP listed any of his rates on any of his cards. Therefore your position of the CSP being a bad card to carry a balance on for economic reasons was also very assumptive.  How do you know that his other cards aren’t at 25-30%???  The point being, just because you stated your opinion that the CSP is NOT a card to carry a balance on doesn’t make it true.  Deal?

BOA Cash Rewards $95,000, AMEX Delta Reserve $65,000 AMEX BCP $30,600 CSP $32,000 Pen Fed Plat Rewards $25,000 Citi Thank You Preferred $28,500 Chase Freedom $21,000
Delta CU $10,000 Cap 1 X 2 $7,500 Discover $18,000
HSN $1,700 Kohls $4,000 BBRZ $700

Starting Score: EQ-592 TU-606
Current Score: EQ-838 TU-845
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 51 of 59
n777ua
Established Contributor

@bobvette wrote:

You people with your balance and utilization phobia's need to relax a little. 

If you don't like us then why are you here ? This is a great site b/c everyone comes together to share their experiences and opinions with credit cards.  If it stresses you out to read our stuff, move along please.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 52 of 59
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Ok, we are getting a little off topic. The Op wanted to know about the possibility of an increase for the purpose of lowering his util- he didn't mention an int rate, BT or carrying a balance.

Message 53 of 59
bobvette
Regular Contributor

@n777ua wrote:

@bobvette wrote:

You people with your balance and utilization phobia's need to relax a little. 

If you don't like us then why are you here ? This is a great site b/c everyone comes together to share their experiences and opinions with credit cards.  If it stresses you out to read our stuff, move along please.

Ease up killer, my point is that it is incredibly arrogant to tell someone that a specific card is NOT a good card to carry a balance on when the poster has no idea what the Op’s other interest rates are.  Secondly, there are post after posts on here that tell everyone that they should be less than 5% utilization before asking for a CLI or applying for a new card.  I just want others to realize that low utilization isn’t required to get new cards or CLI’s.  If you have good scores and a reasonable income you can get approved;  5% or 35% it’s a case by case basis.

BOA Cash Rewards $95,000, AMEX Delta Reserve $65,000 AMEX BCP $30,600 CSP $32,000 Pen Fed Plat Rewards $25,000 Citi Thank You Preferred $28,500 Chase Freedom $21,000
Delta CU $10,000 Cap 1 X 2 $7,500 Discover $18,000
HSN $1,700 Kohls $4,000 BBRZ $700

Starting Score: EQ-592 TU-606
Current Score: EQ-838 TU-845
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 54 of 59
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

So bobvette, there is an easy search function here. You just click on my name and you can view everything I've ever posted. Of course, that would defeat your thesis, since i do not routinely post about or obsess about utilization. The argument that you shouldn't use rewards cards to carry balances is something recommended by many experts in many forums. I'm an advocate of carrying balances when it makes economic sense (again, you would know that if you bothered to read my posts), but if you want to carry balances, you should focus on getting a card or cards that are designed for that purpose, not increase the credit limit of your rewards cards. The annoying thing is that I agree with you, I think utilization is only really a big deal when you are actively searching for a mortgage and even then it is overstated as a factor for most people. I just wish you would have posted that comment instead of totally misrepresenting mine and then miss characterizing the 500+ searchable posts I've made on this forum.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 55 of 59
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, let's take a deep breath here and go back to the OP's question. And whatever information or opinions we decide to share, let's remember to maintain a respectful tone throughout and avoid making things personal. Thank you for your cooperation.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 56 of 59
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@tinuviel

Maybe they will listen to you...they certainly didn't listen to me. - SIGH-
Message 57 of 59
enharu
Super Contributor

It is never a good idea to carry any balance on any credit card. You need to carry a balance, you get a personal loan. It's not that hard.

Back to OP: chase is iffy with CLI. It costs u 1 HP for customer initiated CLI. Best way like others said is to sign up for other chase cards, enjoy the sign up benefits, and transfer CL over to your CSP. If you find it troublesome, it's just 1 HP anyways. From my experience chase was very generous with my CLI. Well worth the HP.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 58 of 59
kibarrow
Established Member

I've had to use this method... The abandon hope, find another (seek out another in the provider family) and then move over some of the limit. I found there is a limit....ie Citi is 10k max. Your recommendation works.
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/2760iB9166C1A493A3CBC/
Message 59 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.