Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP or Chase Southwst?

tag
Juss11
Frequent Contributor

CSP or Chase Southwst?

My sister is looking for a good travel card. Right now she has a chase freedom. Not sure of her credit score, but I know its in the high 700s. So out of those two cards which is the best? You have to spend 3k for the CSP and only 2k with the Southwest card. Also if there are any better cards like the Ame Delta etc, id like to hear about those also. I have the CSP and Delta. Would 45k points in the CSP be about same value as the Southwest 50k points that card offers? Since there both Chase cards can you transfer points from one card to the other?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Shock
Established Contributor

Re: CSP or Chase Southwst?

I got the Southwest over CSP. Will probably cancel in a year, thn go for Chase United, then CSP (end goal). All 2x back on travel but with the branded cards it has to be Southwest/Airtran/rental car partners/hotel partners or United.

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 2 of 9
Juss11
Frequent Contributor

With the chase southwest, looks like you get enough points for two flights compred too one with the CSP. Not only reason to get card, just seems like a good deal.

Message 3 of 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Just so you know if you have freedom and CSP, you can trasnfer your freedom UR points to CSP UR points also you get an bonus if you have freedom and CSP i think its 7% i forget the exact numbers. If you have CSP , Freedom, and Chase checking account i think bonus is 10% just something to keep in mind. Also CSP can transfer to rapid rewards, if you are looking at post signup bonus

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 9
Juss11
Frequent Contributor

I do have the chase checking,Freedom & CSP. If I were to get the southwest card later, can I trasnfer the points to the CSP? Does it work like that? Or I could transfer them to the Rapid rewads card you say?

Message 5 of 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

You can do an 1:1 from your CSP UR account to southwest rapid rewards account. I think it has to be 1000 UR points for 1000 SW rapid reward points. Now transferring from Southwest to CSP i don't think you can and I don't think you would want to. You probably would want to get signup bonus for both imo. You get 50k RR points for sw chase and 40k UR points for CSP. 

You can't transfer sw rr points to csp ur points if i am understanding what you are asking. You could transfer CSP ur to rapid reward, but once its in rapid rewards account you can't trasnfer it from there, its there for good.

Message 6 of 9
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Southwest for the sign-up bonus but CSP for the long run. CSP earns the same amounts as SW and the UR points transfer 1:1 to Rapid Rewards points. 

Message 7 of 9
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

Just so you know if you have freedom and CSP, you can trasnfer your freedom UR points to CSP UR points also you get an bonus if you have freedom and CSP i think its 7% i forget the exact numbers. If you have CSP , Freedom, and Chase checking account i think bonus is 10% just something to keep in mind. Also CSP can transfer to rapid rewards, if you are looking at post signup bonus

Just to clarify - the CSP gives you a 7% annual dividend - so basically you earn 2.14 UR/$ for restaurants and travel and 1.07 UR/$ for everything else - whether you have the Freedom or not.  The Freedom with a Chase checking account has the yearly 10% bonus - so it earns 5.5 UR/$ for bonus categories up to $1,500 per quarter and 1.1UR/$ for everything else.

This is why if you have all 3 it is always better to use the Freedom instead of the CSP except for travel and restaurants when they aren't a bonus category on the Freedom.

I personally would go with the CSP for long term because you can also transfer your miles to United or to hotel partners like Hyatt.  The flexibility of use of your points is what makes the CSP really valuable.

Message 8 of 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@nachoslibres wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Just to clarify - the CSP gives you a 7% annual dividend - so basically you earn 2.14 UR/$ for restaurants and travel and 1.07 UR/$ for everything else - whether you have the Freedom or not.  The Freedom with a Chase checking account has the yearly 10% bonus - so it earns 5.5 UR/$ for bonus categories up to $1,500 per quarter and 1.1UR/$ for everything else.

This is why if you have all 3 it is always better to use the Freedom instead of the CSP except for travel and restaurants when they aren't a bonus category on the Freedom.

I personally would go with the CSP for long term because you can also transfer your miles to United or to hotel partners like Hyatt.  The flexibility of use of your points is what makes the CSP really valuable.

+1 well said an lot more clear than what i was trying to say.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.