Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP vs CSR, both or one?

tag
Irisa
Senior Contributor

Re: CSP vs CSR, both or one?

@Anonymous wrote:
At this point, is it even worthwhile to have a CSP along with a CSR? It looks like CSR is better in every single category, minus the slightly higher annual fee (95 vs 150). What do you guys think? For those with CSP applying for the CSR, what are you planning to do with your CSP?

I am considering a CSR app. If I do apply, I will try to PC my CSP to Freedom Unlimited. That would leave me with Freedom, FU, and CSR. I don't see the point of having both CSP and CSR. I would benefit more from moving my current QS spending to Freedom Unlimited. 

Message 11 of 18
RaiseMyScoreASAP
Regular Contributor

That is the perfect advice. Max those UR points!

Question--Will your FU become your default card? It offers 1.5% or 1.5. points per dollar spent rather than the base of 1. Yes, of course you would use your Freedom for the bonus categories, and travel on CSR etc. to maximize points.

Message 12 of 18
noobody
Established Contributor

I have CSP since Dec 12.

Will apply CSR early next week.

For score purpose, which one is better?

#1: Get CSR, close CSP right way.

Easy and trouble free.

#2: Get CSR next week, PC CSP to CS when AF is due. Before 2nd AF is due on CSR, close it. Then
PC CS back to CSR/CSP whichever I feel fits me better.

Have to jump through a lot hoops to use the 2nd option, but it will preserve my 4 years old history of CSP. Thus 10 years from now I will loose 10 year account age instead of 14

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 13 of 18
mjb59463
Regular Contributor

I'm in this same boat, but the AF is what has me hung up. 

Based on reward earnings, CSR > CSP. 

But I currently have 2 Cards with a 450 annual fee. I dont want to add a third. I may stick with the CSP just based on that. 

Scores: 790 TU (Barclay), 780 EX (Fico8), 790 EQ

Chase Freedom Unlimited (6k), CSP (20k), Amex Delta Platinum (13.5k), Amex Marriott Bonvoy (16k), Barclay Apple (12.5k), USBank Flexperks Travel Rewards (12k), Wells Fargo Visa Signature (10k), Citi Double Cash (8k), Amex Gold, Amex Platinum, Amex BBP (15k) Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (15k)
Message 14 of 18
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
At this point, is it even worthwhile to have a CSP along with a CSR? It looks like CSR is better in every single category, minus the slightly higher annual fee (95 vs 150). What do you guys think? For those with CSP applying for the CSR, what are you planning to do with your CSP?

You've done the analysis which is what you need to do.  Don't just poll others and follow the herd.

That said, the CSP would be redundant with the CSR IMO.  I plan on keeping the CSP around until my final verdict on whether or not to keep the CSR for the long run.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I signed up for my CSP back in May, got the 50k bonus after the 2nd month hitting the $4k spends, and now this gem of a card in the CSR comes out. Had it been available back then it would've been a much easier choice to go with the CSR (especially for the 100k bonus).

Now that I have the CSP and the 50k bonus, would there be any issues if I PC'd it to a CSR? I know I wouldn't get the signup bonus, but I love the fact that it's 3x now for dining/travel and I would definitely use the $300 travel credit no problem. What are your guys' thoughts? I might also just keep the CSP and wait until my 1 year anniversary and then PC to the CSR...

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I already have the trifecta with freedom, FU, and CSP. I just got approved for the CSR. CSP is no longer useful to me. I can't PC it because I got it in June, unfortunately. Since I do have the AF waived, I don't mind keeping it until one year, and get something else. I can forgo the freedom bonus and get another freedom quarter bonus card (which I've read that you can get 2x of). I can benefit from the quarterly twice, use my FU for general purposes, and use CSR for my travel and dining related needs.

What do you guys think? 2x freedom a good thing? My CSP is pretty much a freedom since I'm getting 1% back and all.
Message 17 of 18
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

I am debating what to do with the CSR also.  If I do end up applying for it (rather than keeping the CSP or PCing) I would PC my CSP into a FU and probably ditch the QS.  I personally don't see what use the CSP would serve along side the CSR, but have the FU in addition to the CSR would really provide some awesome URs.  

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.