Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP vs. TYPremier

tag
rkinnahan
New Contributor

CSP vs. TYPremier

My girlfriend and I are weighing the pros and cons of these two cards.  Thinking ahead, we probably are going to consolidate our cc portfolio: she has a CSP, I have a TYPremier.  Which one of these is a better option for the long haul?

CSP: AF $95; 2x restaurants/travel; 1x everything else; 7% annual bonus; 20% UR bonus for travel booked through Chase

TYPremier: AF $125; 1.2x groceries/gas; 1x everything else; 1% annual bonus each year up to 7% (increased by 1 each year); 1 free domestic companion flight; 33% TY bonus for travel booked through Citi

I think most people would say that CSP is the best card out there, but I'm thinking of coupling my TY Premier with a Citi Forward to harvest on TY points from Amazon and restaurants.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts!

Chase Sapphire Preferred $12k | Chase Freedom $7k | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer $15k | Chase Hyatt Visa $11.8k | Chase Amazon Visa $3k | Citi TY Premier $8.5k | Amex SPG $13.5k | Amex HHonors $5k | Discover IT $9k | BofA Cash Rewards $6k | BofA BB Rewards $2.7k | Banana Republic Visa $3k
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CSP vs. TYPremier

@rkinnahan wrote:

My girlfriend and I are weighing the pros and cons of these two cards.  Thinking ahead, we probably are going to consolidate our cc portfolio: she has a CSP, I have a TYPremier.  Which one of these is a better option for the long haul?

CSP: AF $95; 2x restaurants/travel; 1x everything else; 7% annual bonus; 20% UR bonus for travel booked through Chase

TYPremier: AF $125; 1.2x groceries/gas; 1x everything else; 1% annual bonus each year up to 7% (increased by 1 each year); 1 free domestic companion flight; 33% TY bonus for travel booked through Citi

I think most people would say that CSP is the best card out there, but I'm thinking of coupling my TY Premier with a Citi Forward to harvest on TY points from Amazon and restaurants.

It really depends on which rewards program you value more.

My hubby and I do this, we use PRG, he is an ACM... all of our daily spending goes on this card, plus my work expenses...  we are able to amass a large # of MR points in this way

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@rkinnahan wrote:

Shamelessly copying views from Flyertalk:  Almost cards for two different purposes.  TYP is good if you spend and fly (so that the flight miles can be redeemed to TYP) and most of your travel is in coach.  For this, combined with the Forward (and the 5x TY Pref if you had it) allow you to get lots of points, get a better redemption ratio, get flight miles, get 15% off without miles, and the one free companion trip a year.

If your goals are more premium cabin and nice hotels, and you can make those flights on airlines/partners supported by the UR program, then CSP is the way to go of the two (and consider the various Amex programs in this case).  Premium cabin flights to international destinations are too expensive to buy even at 1.33 cents a mile, transfer to a partner is much more effective.

There are also reports that the Premier is going to go to 3x on travel after July, and get rid of the anniversary bonus....

Message 3 of 13
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@rkinnahan wrote:

Shamelessly copying views from Flyertalk:  Almost cards for two different purposes.  TYP is good if you spend and fly (so that the flight miles can be redeemed to TYP) and most of your travel is in coach.  For this, combined with the Forward (and the 5x TY Pref if you had it) allow you to get lots of points, get a better redemption ratio, get flight miles, get 15% off without miles, and the one free companion trip a year.

If your goals are more premium cabin and nice hotels, and you can make those flights on airlines/partners supported by the UR program, then CSP is the way to go of the two (and consider the various Amex programs in this case).  Premium cabin flights to international destinations are too expensive to buy even at 1.33 cents a mile, transfer to a partner is much more effective.

There are also reports that the Premier is going to go to 3x on travel after July, and get rid of the anniversary bonus....

Flyertalk coming to the rescue as always. As a current Forward holder, I am tempted not to drink the Freedom/CSP/Ink Kool Aid and get the Premier instead. Most of my travel is domestic and I like that flights purchases with points still count towards status. Part of me is a little scared that the Forward will go the way of the 5x Preferred and Forward for non-students though and I'll be left with the $125 AF and limited TY points earning opportunities...

EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 4 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Should have added that if you can handle the spend (and the HP) you can get both, since they are free the first year, and the CSP has a huge bonus ($400 cash, TYP $250).  Then, as time comes for the annual fee, drop whichever one you don't want.

Message 5 of 13
rkinnahan
New Contributor

Thanks for all of the opinions so far!  All very helpful.  I didn't know about the potential change to the TY rewards structure this summer.  Is there a post somewhere that discuss these in more detail?  We actually both already have the cards, but she was discussing dropping her CSP since it has the annual fee and I said I wanted to keep my TY Premier.  I could just as easily PC my Premier to a preferred to avoid the fee.  This turned into more of a conversation of which card was better and figured we'd get the answers from the forum!

Chase Sapphire Preferred $12k | Chase Freedom $7k | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer $15k | Chase Hyatt Visa $11.8k | Chase Amazon Visa $3k | Citi TY Premier $8.5k | Amex SPG $13.5k | Amex HHonors $5k | Discover IT $9k | BofA Cash Rewards $6k | BofA BB Rewards $2.7k | Banana Republic Visa $3k
Message 6 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

From post 9 in:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Citi-Thank-You-Preferred-upgraded-to-World-Elite-MC/td-...

Starting July 28th the TY Preferred cards get 2X points on dining and entertainment as well.

The Premier gets a even bigger bonus. 3X dining and Entertainment and 2X travel on top of its current bonuses, if I am not wrong.

Enharu was told this by a Citi Rep.

Message 7 of 13
Radek7752
Contributor

Both the CSP and TYPref/Premier truly shine when used with the Freedom and Forward, respectively. That being said, the Freedom/CSP combination provides me with the greatest return on my points. If the proposed changes to the TY cards come to fruition, they will make the TY program much more competitive. I enjoy the best of both worlds with the Freedom/CSP and Forward/TYPref, which requires only an annual fee for the CSP.

BoA: Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard
Chase: Sapphire Preferred (WMC)/Freedom/Amazon/Auto Loan (41k)
Citi: Thank You Preferred/Forward/Simplicity
AmEx: Zync/Blue Cash/Starwood Preferred
Discover: IT
GE: JCP/Walmart Discover
Message 8 of 13
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

From post 9 in:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Citi-Thank-You-Preferred-upgraded-to-World-Elite-MC/td-...

Starting July 28th the TY Preferred cards get 2X points on dining and entertainment as well.

The Premier gets a even bigger bonus. 3X dining and Entertainment and 2X travel on top of its current bonuses, if I am not wrong.

Enharu was told this by a Citi Rep.

A rep told me that about Premier but take it with a grain of salt. The rep seemed unsure if it was 100% happening and also mentioned the $50 AF for AU would be removed. Tentative until we get notice, that's why I hesitated to post to avoid confusion lol

Message 9 of 13
rkinnahan
New Contributor

A change in that direction would definitely make Citi more competitive.  I liked the Premier just for the companion flight and points for fly miles.  I don't even travel all that much.  I don't have the Citi Forward (currently in the midst of a recon) so if I can't get approved for one, I may bag the Premier, scale back to the preferred and we can go with the CSP in the future.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.