Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP with EMV

tag
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

Re: CSP with EMV

I am curious to see what that card looks like with the chip.

Message 21 of 101
MACFRME
Frequent Contributor

I agree with many of the other posters: I am waiting to see what it looks like, since EMV is only marginally helpful when traveling. I am going to Europe in May. My partner and I are bringing his USAA chip and PIN platinum card, in case of emergencies. I have an EMV BofA Cash Rewards for my personal expenses. I will be calling to get the EMV chip added to my Green Charge card as soon as I receive the new one in the mail. We also have a Chase Marriott with EMV, which should be helpful as well. We are bringing my grandmother along, and I am not sure what advice to give her about money. I told her taking it out at the ATM, and maybe traveller's cheques would be the best choice for someone with no EMV cards. As far as I know, she has these cards: local CU credit and debit, Macy's AmEx, Discover More, BofA BankAmericard, and maybe a Chase AARP Visa Siggy. Maybe I should tell her to see if the BofA card can be PC'd to travel rewards with EMV? Maybe there's a good travel prepaid card with Chip and PIN that won't cost too much?
Cards I Carry
$7.5K $23K $5k $300(SEC) $500 $300 $1,500 $800 $800
Total Available Credit: $39.7k | FICOS: EX 659 | EQ 661 | TU 673
Message 22 of 101
tray
Valued Contributor

@tray wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

FYI cards are out, no idea on changes physically... mine should be here tomorrow afternoon and I will let everyone know if they have changed the actual card at all

Thanks for the tip, I just sent a secure message to Chase I will post what happens, I hope all the reps are on the same page that the emv chip and signature is out, just read the last thread on this topic and I hope I am able to get a replacement card, I may have to place a call if the secure message outcome turns out bad...

@tray wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

FYI cards are out, no idea on changes physically... mine should be here tomorrow afternoon and I will let everyone know if they have changed the actual card at all

Thanks for the tip, I just sent a secure message to Chase I will post what happens, I hope all the reps are on the same page that the emv chip and signature is out, just read the last thread on this topic and I hope I am able to get a replacement card, I may have to place a call if the secure message outcome turns out bad...

Update Success will recieve the card in 3-5 days....

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 23 of 101
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@MACFRME wrote:
I agree with many of the other posters: I am waiting to see what it looks like, since EMV is only marginally helpful when traveling. I am going to Europe in May. My partner and I are bringing his USAA chip and PIN platinum card, in case of emergencies. I have an EMV BofA Cash Rewards for my personal expenses. I will be calling to get the EMV chip added to my Green Charge card as soon as I receive the new one in the mail. We also have a Chase Marriott with EMV, which should be helpful as well. We are bringing my grandmother along, and I am not sure what advice to give her about money. I told her taking it out at the ATM, and maybe traveller's cheques would be the best choice for someone with no EMV cards. As far as I know, she has these cards: local CU credit and debit, Macy's AmEx, Discover More, BofA BankAmericard, and maybe a Chase AARP Visa Siggy. Maybe I should tell her to see if the BofA card can be PC'd to travel rewards with EMV? Maybe there's a good travel prepaid card with Chip and PIN that won't cost too much?

I would worry less about that EMV chip than the foreign transaction fee. (this quickly adds up on your bills) Smiley Sad  While my cards with only magnetic stripes could even get processed at unmanned terminals with the ATM pin the chip and signature cards all get rejected now. For such transaction it requires chip and pin cards which are in use for 10+ years in Europe.  As a traveller you should not find it too difficult to use the regular magnetic stripe cards. I only encountered troubles for services that do usually not deal with visitors but residents only such as home delivery with mobile card processing devices. You should be fine even without the EMV chip during your visit in Europe.

Message 24 of 101
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@MACFRME wrote:

I would definitly leave some cards with Mag stripe only, I left my AMEX Platinum mag stripe only and use it at places that won't take chip and signature cards.

I'm hoping my regular CSP without EMV will remain active so I can use it at places that won't take chip+sig cards as well.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 25 of 101
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

I caved and requested it, 3-5 business days lol.  They said I could continue using my current card even after I recieve the new one, so that's kool.

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 26 of 101
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

On the way...Smiley Wink
Message 27 of 101
dilettante
Established Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

@MACFRME wrote:

I would definitly leave some cards with Mag stripe only, I left my AMEX Platinum mag stripe only and use it at places that won't take chip and signature cards.

I'm hoping my regular CSP without EMV will remain active so I can use it at places that won't take chip+sig cards as well.

Interesting info. Can you give some examples of places/situations where you've come across that problem? My main use cards have chip and sig, so I'm interested in finding out where and when to be prepared with cards without chip.

Message 28 of 101
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

Overlaid my EMV BCP on the CSP and it looks like at the very least the text "Preferred" will have to move.

@Radek7752 wrote:

Just got off the phone with Chase and thought I would share. Chase was unable to send me a card with EMV because my CSP is a World Mastercard.

Strange.  My CSP is a WMC and there were no issues with my request.

Message 29 of 101
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@MACFRME wrote:
Maybe there's a good travel prepaid card with Chip and PIN that won't cost too much?

Travelex has a Chip&Pin multi-currency card.  By all accounts, it isn't cheap in that the exchange rate is bad, but at least you can know that when you load the card rather than have currency flutuations when you use a credit card.  As they also advertize, being prepaid it isn't linked to your bank account in any way, so the risk caused by loss/theft is smaller.   Not at all recommending it one way or another, but as a product to consider!

http://www.travelex.com/US/Products/Cash-Passport/

Edit:  Looking at the fee structure, this card has way too many fees.  So not worth it unless you have no alternatives!

Message 30 of 101
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.