Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSR/Chase Freedom/Chase Freedom Unlimited Combo

tag
noobody
Established Contributor

Re: CSR/Chase Freedom/Chase Freedom Unlimited Combo

I have CSR and two freedom (double the CAP)

All my non Category spending goes to SPG, so I have no spending left for FU.

When I got CSR, I PC CSP to slate and move all but 1k credit line to CSR. Only benefit I want from Slate is free EX Fico.
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 11 of 19
kristin93
Established Member

Can someone explain why having this tri-fecta is so great as opposed to any other cluster of cards? I have two chase cards (Original Freedom and Slate) and wanted to do a PC at some point early next year, so everyones insight would really help

MY WALLET: Discover - $2500 | Victoria's Secret Angel Forever - $6000 | Express Next A-List - $3400 | CareCredit - $12000 | Chase Freedom - $3500 | Chase Freedom Unlimited - $1500 | Amazon Store Card - $5000 | Target RedCard MasterCard - $3500 | Paypal Credit (BML) - $3500 | Barclaycard Arrival + World Elite - $6500 | American Express Everyday - $10000 | American Express Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL | Citi Diamond Preferred - $3530
Message 12 of 19
Fleuriste
Regular Contributor

The trifecta is good if you are trying to maximize ultimate rewards points. A CSP or CSR will give you extra points on restaurants and travel (plus no foreign transaction fees, car rental insurance,etc.). The Ink cash will give you 5x points at office supply stores- so you can purchase gift cards to the places that don't get extra points earned. Then the Freedom gives you 5% in rotating categories or the Freedom Unlimited gives you 1.5% on all purchases. Earn bonuses for minimum spending when you sign up and then combine all of your points. You are maximizing your points potential on purchases and then have lots of flexibility in how you use the points because of the many travel partners that Chase works with.

Starting FICO 8's (7/2016) EQ 715|| TU 743 || EX 762
Current FICO 8's (10/2022) EQ 838|| TU 828|| EX 826
Goal FICO 8's: 780 across the board - Goal met 9/2018;
Next Goal FICO 8's: 800 across the board - Goal met 10/2022
Message 13 of 19
android01
Valued Contributor

I also have the combo of C$R and FU.  I product changed my CSP to the FU when I got the C$R.  As far as the Combo goes, I think having the Freedom Unlimited works out better for me because it has 1.5 points on everything all the time with no caps.  I hate chasing categories like I would have to with the Freedom.  IMO, point accumulation would happen faster combining the Freedom Unlimited with the C$R.  

I also product changed my old JP Morgan Select card to the new JP Morgan Reserve.  It's redundant for the most part with the C$R as far as benefits goes, but it can add to the overall point count quickly.  Plus, it's a hidden trade line like the old JP Morgan Select was.  I like hidden trade lines. Smiley Happy

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 14 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Fleuriste wrote:

The trifecta is good if you are trying to maximize ultimate rewards points. A CSP or CSR will give you extra points on restaurants and travel (plus no foreign transaction fees, car rental insurance,etc.). The Ink cash will give you 5x points at office supply stores- so you can purchase gift cards to the places that don't get extra points earned. Then the Freedom gives you 5% in rotating categories or the Freedom Unlimited gives you 1.5% on all purchases. Earn bonuses for minimum spending when you sign up and then combine all of your points. You are maximizing your points potential on purchases and then have lots of flexibility in how you use the points because of the many travel partners that Chase works with.

Right.     Some people will put all their spend on UR cards, just because they value the points enough.   Others might put some spend on high cashback (e.g. 5%+ on groceries) vs 1.5UR on FU, but even then if you need lots of URs for a particular reward, using the FU anyway may be the smart thing to do.

Message 15 of 19
redpat
Senior Contributor

You can get the superfecta, CSR, Ink+, FU and Freedom or the "Pick five" by adding the Ink Preferred now.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 16 of 19
Fleuriste
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Fleuriste wrote:

Right.     Some people will put all their spend on UR cards, just because they value the points enough.   Others might put some spend on high cashback (e.g. 5%+ on groceries) vs 1.5UR on FU, but even then if you need lots of URs for a particular reward, using the FU anyway may be the smart thing to do.

If you can get an Ink card, you really can maximize your cash back rewards.  I'm still waiting to apply for one, since I was declined a year ago.  With an Ink card, you could funnell practically all of your ordinary spend through Ink by purchasing gift cards. You do have the option of coverting UR points to cash, but they are much more valuable when transferred to Chase partners. I'm using Chase UR so that I can take my family on a trip to Europe.  

My next holy grail for points after I do that is the Southwest Companion Pass.  My plan is to apply for the Chase Southwest Cards in one year so that I can use the companion pass to take my kids on college visits.

Message 17 of 19
Fleuriste
Regular Contributor

The Ink+ is only available now through referral codes. They stopped offering it on Monday when the ChIP launched.

Message 18 of 19
Fleuriste
Regular Contributor

@android01 wrote:

I also have the combo of C$R and FU.  I product changed my CSP to the FU when I got the C$R.  As far as the Combo goes, I think having the Freedom Unlimited works out better for me because it has 1.5 points on everything all the time with no caps.  I hate chasing categories like I would have to with the Freedom.  IMO, point accumulation would happen faster combining the Freedom Unlimited with the C$R.  

I also product changed my old JP Morgan Select card to the new JP Morgan Reserve.  It's redundant for the most part with the C$R as far as benefits goes, but it can add to the overall point count quickly.  Plus, it's a hidden trade line like the old JP Morgan Select was.  I like hidden trade lines. Smiley Happy

I hear you about the FU.  I just PC'd my CSP to the Freedom this month.  I was really hoping that the Freedom was going to announce the Amazon 10% cash back for December again.  It doesn't look like it is going to happen.  On the other hand, I've been purchasing cash cards at Costco so that I can earn 5% cash back on Costco gas.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.