Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSR Fraud Block Error Might Have Jeopardized Welcome Bonus

tag
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

CSR Fraud Block Error Might Have Jeopardized Welcome Bonus

Had a bit of an itchy trigger finger for CSR.  Was thinking of applyin once I knew how much of my kitchen remodel I could charge (which would get me over the $4k spending for the welcome bonus) but decided to apply last week and use the card for my brother's wedding rehearsal dinner (my dad was concerned about the amount versus his credit limit).

I went to use the card (which arrived the night before) for a $2,600 dinner tab, only to have it declined.  Figuring the amount spooked Chase, I went outside and called (there was no signal in the basement banquet area).  I went through text verification and was told the fraud freeze was removed.  I went back inside to retry the card, only to have it decline.  By that point, the process had gone on long enough for my dad to just use his card.  Meanwhile, I went back out and called Chase, again being transferred to the fraud department.  It turned out the block had never been removed like the first rep said, and the second rep wasn't sure why it was there.

The point is my spending (with focusing spend on the best card based on category) will probably not reach $4,000 in 3 months without a major purchase unless I really stretch it.  I am hoping my kitchen contractor lets me pick material providers (or that they take credit cards) since I didn't have the luxury of asking first before applying.  I explained this to Chase via Twitter and didn't get much other than an apology.  I called the EO and they are looking into it.

Doubt they'll lower the bonus spend, even though their error prevented me from knocking out more than half of it at once, but they should do something more than just apologize, especially for the $450 AF I am paying.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CSR Fraud Block Error Might Have Jeopardized Welcome Bonus

Whenever I make large purchases I always call ahead to let them know it's me, where I will be, etc.  Of course I haven't had a high limit CC on my own credit in years but I've been an AU on large limit cards and never had an issue, even charging huge amounts when traveling internationally.

It's an unfortunate lesson but it's a wise habit to make.

Do you have any referral credits with Plastiq?  If so use those to pay your mortgage and get the minimum spend.

Message 2 of 11
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Whenever I make large purchases I always call ahead to let them know it's me, where I will be, etc.  Of course I haven't had a high limit CC on my own credit in years but I've been an AU on large limit cards and never had an issue, even charging huge amounts when traveling internationally.

Do you have any referral credits with Plastiq?  If so use those to pay your mortgage and get the minimum spend.

I haven't used Plastiq, though I read on DoC that Visa cards aren't working anymore.  Plus, the mortgage is also with Chase, so that might look weird.

I asked my Dad to direct any major purchases to me as a last resort.

Message 3 of 11
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Don't focus on category spend on other cards. It's unlikely that your category spend on other cards will be more than your spend bonus.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 4 of 11
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@MASTERNC wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I haven't used Plastiq, though I read on DoC that Visa cards aren't working anymore.  Plus, the mortgage is also with Chase, so that might look weird.

Visa cards are working just fine on Plastiq. What everyone is up in arms about is that they're not getting 3x points on the transactions (which was a fluke to begin with), which easily cancels out the 2.5% fee. 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@MASTERNC wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Visa cards are working just fine on Plastiq. What everyone is up in arms about is that they're not getting 3x points on the transactions (which was a fluke to begin with), which easily cancels out the 2.5% fee. 

OP may be right, I just seen the article on DoC and it stated Pladtiq is no longer accepting VISA for mortgage payments.

And to OP, that is definitely frustrating but  you jsut got the card, im sure there could be more opporunities before the 3 months is over to meet the bonus spend....stay positive!

Message 6 of 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

OP, so sorry this happened. I seriously doubt the EO will do anything. I received my Citi card ~5 weeks after approval and I called to ask if they would extend the spend date by 4-5 weeks. Although, CSR didn't say "no way, Jose," this is what I heard when she responded "sorry, no." I think you should just look at it as a lesson-learned. It could have been worse and embarrassing. Suppose your father's card had been declined too? However, I do hope your outcome will be better than mine. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 11
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

I do have one last resort, though it wasn't what I planned. I was going to use my Costco card to buy my appliances (given it adds 2 years to a warranty, even if I buy an extended warranty), but I can forego one of those two extra years and use CSR. I assume it will add the year onto the end of the extended warranty.
Message 8 of 11
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@MASTERNC wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

OP may be right, I just seen the article on DoC and it stated Pladtiq is no longer accepting VISA for mortgage payments.

And to OP, that is definitely frustrating but  you jsut got the card, im sure there could be more opporunities before the 3 months is over to meet the bonus spend....stay positive!

My bad, I just saw that article this evening. 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since you were going to put it on your card anyway, does your dad have any upcoming purchases you could charge for him that would help you reach the spend? If it was money he was already planning to spend, you would essentially be transferring the dinner balance back to your card.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.