Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSR to 50k sign-up 1/12/17

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CSR to 50k sign-up 1/12/17

I am glad that I didnt take it easy after the 5/24 thing.  Would have missed out on quite a bit of action!  To those that did, my condolences.

Message 31 of 158
iced
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

This really sucks.. Chase continues to make life rough for alot of people..  People hoping to be under 5x24 to get the 100k UR's.. It is still a good card for many and still considering to PC my CSP to the CSR and just ignore the bonus and earn UR's at a higher rate which makes it a 150 AF card after travel expenses.   Probably will PC it in a few months.

Feel bad for those that were trying to get under 5x24..  Kinda like Chase is pushing away customers as alot will say screw it and start to apply for other cards such as Merrill with $500 cash or $1000 airfare credit and other cards that have decent sign-up bonuses with NO annual fees.

If you have a decent amount of spend eating out and traveling then this card certainly is still a good card, just losing out on $500...

Chase didn't make anyone's life difficult. The 5/24 policy was around long before the CSR came out and people over 5/24 still have 5+ new cards with associated bonuses to enjoy. If getting a Chase card is important to someone, they'll be at or under 4/24 at all times.

The 5/24 policy exists for a reason: Chase sees high account creation rates as a risk the person will get the card, milk the bonuses, and ditch it come AF renewal. So in that sense, yes, they're pushing some people away but they've decided they don't want those people in the first place. I don't think they're suddenly going to lose sleep because some of those people who snuck through the cracks leave them to go profit off sign-ups from another bank.

No injustice was done here, and nobody can blame anyone but themselves for missing this opportunity. I get that it sucks for those who miss out on opportunities like this, but them's the rules of the game. 

Message 32 of 158
Anonymous
Not applicable

^ Agreed. Chase isn't playing games, it's a business and it's been well noted that they are going to take a bit to recoup the bonus money they've put out. If you don't want this well run business's extremely popular and useful cards, then don't get them. No reason to cold app online anyway. Should always go into branch if you live close enough to try and get a prequal to break 5/24. Far too many people claim they can't be bothered to go in to a branch because they're too busy. If you were 5/17 when this card came out, and didn't stop apping to get under by march, this is realistically your own doing. Just had to have that marvel card and blispays amazing 2% back.... 

Message 33 of 158
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@Look on the bright side guys/gals.. there's some rumors floating around that Amex will overhaul the Plat card.. if it makes it much more competitive with the CSR, that might be the next hot card here @ the $450 AF tier.

Or...Amex may take the CSR bonus reduction as a sign that Platinum improvements aren't so urgent after all.

I'm not saying Platinum changes aren't possible...just that this CSR change probably doesn't help.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 34 of 158
driftless
Valued Contributor

It is silly to blame Chase for 5/24 when it is a perfectly reasonable approach to limit churners and those whose excessive app'ng makes them a perceived risky cardholder.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 35 of 158
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

No one is blaming Chase for 5x24.. Just putting in my opinion it is a stupid/silly rule; although Chase sees it differently which is fine and dandy.. I don't think it makes the lender / borrower more risky as some as you stated, but yes they certainly could lose money from "churning" the said people that apply beyond the 5x24 rule.  Happy for you all the have under 5 cards in the last 24 months.  The majority of the forum isn't in this scenario though as alot of them were/are rebuilders.  Part of rebuilding is getting cards as your credit improves pruning the not so good cards and getting better cards.  Chase UW isn't tough what-so-ever.  You can get the CSR with 660-680(many DP's for this) Fico's as long as you make say 35-40k+(just pulling a number out of the air) and are under the 5x24 rule.  Chase is childs play UW compared to Citi or other lenders.

Message 36 of 158
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@iced wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

This really sucks.. Chase continues to make life rough for alot of people..  People hoping to be under 5x24 to get the 100k UR's.. It is still a good card for many and still considering to PC my CSP to the CSR and just ignore the bonus and earn UR's at a higher rate which makes it a 150 AF card after travel expenses.   Probably will PC it in a few months.

Feel bad for those that were trying to get under 5x24..  Kinda like Chase is pushing away customers as alot will say screw it and start to apply for other cards such as Merrill with $500 cash or $1000 airfare credit and other cards that have decent sign-up bonuses with NO annual fees.

If you have a decent amount of spend eating out and traveling then this card certainly is still a good card, just losing out on $500...

Chase didn't make anyone's life difficult. The 5/24 policy was around long before the CSR came out and people over 5/24 still have 5+ new cards with associated bonuses to enjoy. If getting a Chase card is important to someone, they'll be at or under 4/24 at all times.

The 5/24 policy exists for a reason: Chase sees high account creation rates as a risk the person will get the card, milk the bonuses, and ditch it come AF renewal. So in that sense, yes, they're pushing some people away but they've decided they don't want those people in the first place. I don't think they're suddenly going to lose sleep because some of those people who snuck through the cracks leave them to go profit off sign-ups from another bank.

No injustice was done here, and nobody can blame anyone but themselves for missing this opportunity. I get that it sucks for those who miss out on opportunities like this, but them's the rules of the game. 

Totally agree here. I get being disappointed, but I doubt 5/24 is really hurting Chase significantly. Most people above 5/24 aren't going to keep the card in the long run and/or spend much on it beyond the bonus threshold, so those aren't the customers they want. Yes it screws over a few legitimate customers, but it is what it is.

Message 37 of 158
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I don't recall other instances of an issuer telling (on the website) when an intro offer is going away.   Has that happened before?

Message 38 of 158
myjourney
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I don't recall other instances of an issuer telling (on the website) when an intro offer is going away.   Has that happened before?

Yes Chase has been known to often 

Citi every now and again 

Amex nope can change during lunch break 

Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 39 of 158
UncleB
Credit Mentor

While I'm not in the target demographic for any of Chase's UR cards I do think their "5/24" rule is like doing surgery with a chainsaw.  I also think it's very fair for somebody who has set a goal to be annoyed when the bar is moved; I can personally empathize with this.

Nobody is saying that Chase doesn't have the "right" to change up their promos/offerings/etc. - of course they do.  But people also have the "right" to think their somewhat arbitrary rules are obnoxious. 

I understand not everybody feels this way, but just as they are entitled to their opinions I'm entitled to mine.  Smiley Happy

Message 40 of 158
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.