Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CU Credit Card....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CU Credit Card....

Are credit union credit cards easier to get then say WAMU, CAP1 and others?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: CU Credit Card....

Often, yes, especially local credit unions. They aren't part of huge bank chains, so they have more flexibility in determining eligibility. Some of the big national ones, like Penfed, can be tougher. Also, CU's often give out higher CL's, even for starters and starting-overs.

If you're interested in a CU, or even a local non-chain bank, if such a thing exists any more, I would pull a fresh FICO EQ, print out the entire score and score report, and take it with you while you visit local institutions. Ask to speak to a loan officer, tell them that you're not yet authorizing a hard inq and that you know that this would be unofficial, but ask if they would take a look at your EQ report and give their opinion as to what you might be eligible for. Once you find a place you like, you can go ahead and do a formal app.

The CU's in my area have banded together to provide free ATM service at any participating CU, which is handy for pulling out some cash when you need it without having half of it taken away by fees. My own local CU also participates in some sort of national rewards points clearinghouse. (I don't have a CC from them, only banking, so I don't know the details.)

note: the majority of CU's use EQ. Patelco on the West Coast uses EX, though.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 5
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

Yes and no. It depends on the CU.

Some,, like NFCU, actually give their members who have no credit history ,but are employed with a decent income, unsecured cards.

But from what I have observed and seen posted, they are as easy to obtain with if you pick the right one. Some have instant online approval ,others you have to wait.

I saw you posted your TU score. Very few use this unless they pull all three CR's. Check your EQ or post it. That would give a better view on where you stand. Most use only EQ and a few use only EX.

What CU do you have in mind ???

Jax
App free for 16 days since 3rd NASA denial.
Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

i was thinking about "Golden 1 Credit Union" been with them for a year and a half now.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

CU's are great.I joined Altura Credit Union in CA 20 years ago and a few years ago got a CC at 8.9%.They gave me I believe 2500 to start,increasing it to 7000 on asking a couple years ago.A few months ago I got a letter saying they were increasing my limit to...25000!!!!!Without asking,wow.Now while it was my lowest rate card awhile back Ive got a Wells card at 6.9 now(till Nov when they just informed me of a rate jack to 7.65...grrr)so for now I will be paying it off very soon but to raise it that much just solidified my loyalty to them.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.