Reply
Established Contributor
Posts: 710
Registered: ‎06-01-2012
0

CU Credit Cards

I get so confused. Im doing my research now for a couple of applications I'll be doing in a few months. I see CUs are typically going to be a good place to look for a decent card with a decent limit and decent scores. Ive visited a couple sites that others have mentioned, but Im not eligible. I know nothing of CUs.

 

So could anyone suggest any CUs that might be good for me here in Clarkston, MI. I see a couple advertised in the area, but I dont know if they are decent places to go or not. Just looking for a good card with an OK limit.

 

Whatcha think?

In my wallet: GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL, Charter One Platinum Rewards 500 CL, Chase Freedom 800 CL, Wal Mart Discover Card 6300 CL, Kay Jewelers 3000 CL
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 470
Registered: ‎08-14-2012
0

Re: CU Credit Cards


jcstarkey8826 wrote:

I get so confused. Im doing my research now for a couple of applications I'll be doing in a few months. I see CUs are typically going to be a good place to look for a decent card with a decent limit and decent scores. Ive visited a couple sites that others have mentioned, but Im not eligible. I know nothing of CUs.

 

So could anyone suggest any CUs that might be good for me here in Clarkston, MI. I see a couple advertised in the area, but I dont know if they are decent places to go or not. Just looking for a good card with an OK limit.

 

Whatcha think?


In order to join a Credit Union, typically you have to be affiliated in some way with an organization, job, etc. Use http://www.ncua.gov/NCUAMapping/Pages/NCUAGOVMapping.aspx to find a credit union. Then, based on your results, look up the memership criteria for each and see if you qualify (or can qualify by joining an organization). Good luck!

In my wallet: Amex PRG & Zync, Amex BCE (19.2k), Chase Freedom (5k), PSECU Visa/PSL (20k)
Current Scores: Equifax: 738 (Fako) TransUnion: 721 (Fico) Experian: 717 (Fico)
Disclaimer: I am by no means a financial advisor. My posts are based on opinion, experience, and/or knowledge.
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 7,225
Registered: ‎09-16-2011
0

Re: CU Credit Cards

This thread talks about a member who is a member of a credit union who actually reissued him the credit card after he paid what was owed (defaulted and charged off).

 

Forgiveness like that is hard to find.  I think he mentioned that it served Michigan, Wisconsin, and Illinois.

 

Its called First Community Credit Union.  Might be worth checking them out.  

 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Credit-union-visa-in-michigan-illinois-Wiscons...


Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!



Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
Posts: 710
Registered: ‎06-01-2012
0

Re: CU Credit Cards


webhopper wrote:

This thread talks about a member who is a member of a credit union who actually reissued him the credit card after he paid what was owed (defaulted and charged off).

 

Forgiveness like that is hard to find.  I think he mentioned that it served Michigan, Wisconsin, and Illinois.

 

Its called First Community Credit Union.  Might be worth checking them out.  

 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Credit-union-visa-in-michigan-illinois-Wiscons...


Very Nice, thank you!

In my wallet: GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL, Charter One Platinum Rewards 500 CL, Chase Freedom 800 CL, Wal Mart Discover Card 6300 CL, Kay Jewelers 3000 CL
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 7,225
Registered: ‎09-16-2011
0

Re: CU Credit Cards

I just realized Clarkston is not in the appropriate country for the one from that thread...  But Check out

 

http://michiganfirst.com/Personal/Borrow/Credit_Cards/

 

I think this will give you an option. If you live in Oakland County,  You are eligible to join the CU.   Their credit card rates are as low as 7.9% and they have a points reward system.  Not too shabby.


Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!



Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Mega Contributor
Posts: 15,442
Registered: ‎04-09-2011
0

Re: CU Credit Cards


webhopper wrote:

I just realized Clarkston is not in the appropriate country for the one from that thread...  But Check out

 

http://michiganfirst.com/Personal/Borrow/Credit_Cards/

 

I think this will give you an option. If you live in Oakland County,  You are eligible to join the CU.   Their credit card rates are as low as 7.9% and they have a points reward system.  Not too shabby.


That is pretty good!!!

 

:smileyhappy:

 




Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 309
Registered: ‎03-03-2008
0

Re: CU Credit Cards

While this link is for bank / CU accounts and not CC specifically it might be helpful for locating one that you can join.  They screen according to joining requirements whether it's locally available or nationwide.

 

http://www.depositaccounts.com/checking/reward-checking-accounts.html

Scores by lender CLI requests 4/15/14: EQ 760 / TU 755 / EX
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scores by lender 4/25/11: EQ 705 / EX 743 / TU 735
Mortgage closed 5/20/2011!
Valued Contributor
Posts: 3,096
Registered: ‎01-26-2012
0

Re: CU Credit Cards

The key thing about local cu is that you can go into it and talk to decision maker.  Bring your credit report and basically ask if you have a chance.  Cu have various policies and attitude towards rebuilding.  So good to get opinion so you don't waste hard pull.

               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.