Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CU mini app spree with partial success

tag
wmarat
Valued Contributor

CU mini app spree with partial success

Background: 3 y.o. Credit history, no negative entries, total available revolving credit is $177400, new mortgage has not yet hit CR. EQ 731, TU 763, EXP 746.

Reasons for app. 

1. A mortgage company belongs to builder and I am pretty sure that when mortgage hits CR some lenders (Amex, BOA) will CLD my lines.

2. I do believe that due to new law CCC's are going to worsen terms of mine existing cards (AF, APR, CLD etc.). AF and CLD will cause to closure of cards by consumer (myself). At the same time, I believe that CU's won't do that 

http://www.mazuma.org/chairman_letter.htm, so I decided to get a couple of CU CC's before new law kicks in.

I have searched hundreds of CU's and decided to go with Alliant, Addison Avenue, Affinity and local CU's.

Addison Avenue. Large CU, based I think in CA. Open FOM. Just apply for any product(s) and memberchip set up during an application. Extremely nice customer service. Loan/application department does not take phone calls but always calls back within 4 business hours if you leave message. AAFCU pulls EXP for membership/creditproducts (one pull). Savings rates are not attractive, but CC has 5.24% APR (I am a PIFer, but it is nice to have low APR card just in case...), btw, even secured card has only 7.25% APR. Offers BT with no fee at 3.99% for 12 mos. Max CL is 50K. Financial documents required upfront (w2, paystubs etc., better before, than after).

Approved for $20000.

Local CU. Restricted FOM. Offers 5.01% reward checking account. A CC has 6.9% APR. Max CL is 50K. Pulls Chexsystem for memberhip and TU (bonus) for credit card.

Approved for $16000

Alliant. Alliant let me down. I have been member of Alliant FCU for a year, it is my main saving institution. Applied for Visa on-line, asked for max. CL - 50K, talked to LO next day and told that 50K line offered only to people who've been Alliant members for 30 years. Fine with me. Got counteroffer for 5K line, reason given is too new to Alliant (?), of course rejected this offer. Two days latter offered 10K line, reason - too much available credit obtained in short period of time, rejected the offer and told LO that my minimum is CL equal to 50% of mine savings, Alliant refused. Well, as I see it Alliant decided right now that it is the only CU on Earth due to MF/CB/FW effect or maybe LO did not like my accent, anyhow my money on move out of 2% saving to 5.01% checking, my kids savings are being moved out of Alliant too, checking is about to be closed (after I transfer DD to another account). I am keeping there only HSA and $5 on share account.

Affinity FCU. The biggest FCU in my state. Open FOM. Extremely nice CS. Pull Chexsystem for membership and EXP for credit products (agreed to pull TU, EXP is on ice). Does not have any remarkable products, but has plenty of them. Offers Visa and MC. APR is 8.6% for Visa Platinum, 10.6% for Classic and secured card and 12% for rewards card.

Offered Classic card with 1K CL, rejected the offer, reapply when I set up on line access.

Side note. Credit is neither right nor privilege. Credit is a product. In case of Affinity and Alliant I decided that a price is not right for a product offered. Affinity offered 1K line in spite high TU FICO and spotless but short credit. I guess that short is a key word. That's OK I accept it.

Alliant has known me for 12 months, had my money, seen my savings patterns, had my direct deposit and still refuses to extend me  SECURED CREDIT equal to half of my savings and by this to lose me as a customer. I would not call it wise. Alliant is conservative, but in my case this either overkill at best or stupidity at worst.

The biggest surpise. I've had PenFed's Visa CashBack Platinum for 15 mos. Also, I have autoloan with them, no savings at all. Penfed Visa is my daily card. Charge about 1K monthly, always PIF. Hoped to get preapprovals at 6 mos. mark - none, at 12 mos. mark - none. Decided that's because I served in potential enemy's army Smiley Tongue.

Got preapprovals at 15 mos. mark. Long story short, my current CL is $50000. WOW. I am still in shock, I have in my wallet 2 brand new, well equipped cars in form of plastic card. No pull, no documents, nothing.

And PenFed is a father of conservatism.

Fired.

1. Saks World Elite MC HSBC

2. Saks store card HSBC

3. PayPal Buyers Credit GEMB

4. Walmart store card GEMB.

I am very itchy to fire JCP, but DW refuses to authorize this move.

Take a look at those cards.

1.Fort Knox FCU's Visa     http://www.fkfcu.org/visacards.htm

2. Lake Michigan CU's Visa   https://www.lmcu.org/Loans/Credit.aspx#nav1

3. TDECU's Onyx MC https://www.tdecu.org/Loans/Credit-Cards/Onyx-Credit-Card.html

This concludes my 3 year journey into American credit system and goal was a house. Well, we moved a few days ago into new, beautefull house. Mission accomplished. 

I have frozen my and DW's EQ and EXP. Tu is open for future car shopping and because TU is manageable.

I have plenty of credit ($228800) and I am not planning to refinance at least 2 years.

Good Luck 
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: CU mini app spree with partial success

Great summary, and I for one appreciate your posting your reasoning through the process.

Good old PenFed, they do like to surprise you, don't they? Not bad for their favorite former Red Army sergeant.

I hope this doesn't mean that you'll be leaving the forums?? Smiley Surprised
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 33
wmarat
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Great summary, and I for one appreciate your posting your reasoning through the process.Thanks

Good old PenFed, they do like to surprise you, don't they? Not bad for their favorite former Red Army sergeant.

I hope this doesn't mean that you'll be leaving the forums?? Smiley SurprisedH*ll, no.

Message Edited by wmarat on 07-12-2009 08:06 AM
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 3 of 33
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

lol, good. I was afraid that you had graduated! Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 33
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Super job fishing in the ultra deep waters. Congratulations!
Message 5 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats wmarat  Smiley Happy

I just joined Addison Avenue (today online) and they did an EX "soft" pull (twice) for membership/share savings setup....so it appears they don't pull hard for membership.

I am curious exactly which financial docs AAFCU required.  Was it all of the items listed (w2, paystubs, "etc" ) or just one of them?  What was the "etc" and were these submitted with the application or upon request after application?

I also joined PSECU a week ago since I have heard they offer EX FICO to members for free on monthly statements (supposedly on savings/checking - no credit required).  WAMU used to give the TU, which was nice, wish Chase would have continued it.

Message Edited by txjohn on 07-12-2009 08:35 AM
Message 6 of 33
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

txjohn wrote:

...I also joined PSECU a week ago since I have heard they offer EX FICO to members for free on monthly statements (supposedly on savings/checking - no credit required). 

Sweet! How did you qualify, if you don't mind my asking? I keep trying to remember if I ever attended college in Pennsylvania, but other than being accepted at Dickinson College 37 years ago (and not attending), I got nuthin'. Smiley Sad
Message 7 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

...I also joined PSECU a week ago since I have heard they offer EX FICO to members for free on monthly statements (supposedly on savings/checking - no credit required). 

Sweet! How did you qualify, if you don't mind my asking? I keep trying to remember if I ever attended college in Pennsylvania, but other than being accepted at Dickinson College 37 years ago (and not attending), I got nuthin'. Smiley Sad

I qualified through a family member having attended one of the listed colleges.  They did not have to be a PSECU member, just eligible by attendance. 

Got my free checks in the mail yesterday.  Still waiting for my welcome letter with membership number so I can get online with them, they won't give member number to you over the phone or by email.

Message Edited by txjohn on 07-12-2009 09:00 AM
Message 8 of 33
wmarat
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats wmarat  Smiley Happy

I just joined Addison Avenue (today online) and they did an EX "soft" pull (twice) for membership/share savings setup....so it appears they don't pull hard for membership.

I am curious exactly which financial docs AAFCU required.  Was it all of the items listed (w2, paystubs, "etc" ) or just one of them?  What was the "etc" and were these submitted with the application or upon request after application?

I also joined PSECU a week ago since I have heard they offer EX FICO to members for free on monthly statements (supposedly on savings/checking - no credit required).  WAMU used to give the TU, which was nice, wish Chase would have continued it.

Message Edited by txjohn on 07-12-2009 08:35 AM

I was required to provide w2, two paystubs, adress proof, DL and green card after application was submitted. I got email saying that they are about to approve for 20K credit card and if I am satisfied with it I should fax/mail/e-mail above documents.

I was checking PSECU, but did not find FOM on their site. How did you qualify for membership?

Message Edited by wmarat on 07-12-2009 09:03 AM
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 9 of 33
wmarat
Valued Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
Super job fishing in the ultra deep waters. Congratulations!

Thanks.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.