Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CU mini app spree with partial success

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CU mini app spree with partial success

wmarat, be sure to jot a note to the CEO or the board or whomever is in charge at Alliant and let them know how unimpressed you are with their lack of service after you demonstrated over a period of many months that you are a man of some means. Tell them why you are pulling your money out. I could not leave that unsaid, if it were me. I am shocked at their lame excuses to you. I had no relationship with them at all, and only $5 in their acount when they gave me $15k Visa. So, that is bullcrap. Just be sure they know why you are leaving.
Message 21 of 33
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Does it enter into the realm of anyone else's conceivable thought that appy-spreeing for $20K+ unsecured lines of credit is a huge red flag, particularly in the current economic climate and that expecting success in obtaining more than one such TL in a 12 month period is just a little presumptuous? Or is the fact that these thoughts occur to me yet another indicia of my impending dotage?

Just because many of us know how to "game" the system and some of us are quite expert at it doesn't mean that we can have all that we want any time we want it. Building a relationship and patience still count for quite a lot.

Message 22 of 33
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
wmarat, be sure to jot a note to the CEO or the board or whomever is in charge at Alliant and let them know how unimpressed you are with their lack of service after you demonstrated over a period of many months that you are a man of some means. Tell them why you are pulling your money out. I could not leave that unsaid, if it were me. I am shocked at their lame excuses to you. I had no relationship with them at all, and only $5 in their acount when they gave me $15k Visa. So, that is bullcrap. Just be sure they know why you are leaving.

How many $50K unsecured TL's did you have when Alliant gave you your $15K Visa?
Message 23 of 33
wmarat
Valued Contributor

1. You do have a valid point.

2. I am shifting towards CU's partially because they are known not to redflag accounts in good standing.

3. Any lender who implement AA on my lines is fired on the spot (APR is not a factor for me, it can be 215498% as far as I concerned), with an exeption of PenFed and BOA Amex (my oldest line)

4. I strove to have big lines to achieve some degree of freedom. If I lose 5-6 lines because of this spree, it is not going to be reflected on my score nor on my buying power.

5. Building relationship, means that both  sides try to accomodate each other, it is not unilateral process. Besides, I did my part. I've been a member for a year, I DD'ed my second paycheck to Alliant, I showed my savings patterns, I enrolled my kids to Allian, now Alliant should have shown how much it intrested in relationship with me and Alliant decided that it is not intrested. I do not have any hard feelings toward Affinity. They do not know me, they might be suspicious or whatever, I would gladly accept 5-7.5k line and would patiently increase it, as I did with BOA, AMEX, MACY'S, DISCOVER, CITI and PENFED.

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

Does it enter into the realm of anyone else's conceivable thought that appy-spreeing for $20K+ unsecured lines of credit is a huge red flag, particularly in the current economic climate and that expecting success in obtaining more than one such TL in a 12 month period is just a little presumptuous? Or is the fact that these thoughts occur to me yet another indicia of my impending dotage?

Just because many of us know how to "game" the system and some of us are quite expert at it doesn't mean that we can have all that we want any time we want it. Building a relationship and patience still count for quite a lot.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 24 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wmarat wrote:

2. I am shifting towards CU's partially because they are known not to redflag accounts in good standing.

3. Any lender who implement AA on my lines is fired on the spot (APR is not a factor for me, it can be 215498% as far as I concerned), with an exeption of PenFed and BOA Amex (my oldest line)

4. I strove to have big lines to achieve some degree of freedom. If I lose 5-6 lines because of this spree, it is not going to be reflected on my score nor on my buying power.

5. Building relationship, means that both  sides try to accomodate each other, it is not unilateral process. Besides, I did my part. I've been a member for a year, I DD'ed my second paycheck to Alliant, I showed my savings patterns, I enrolled my kids to Allian, now Alliant should have shown how much it intrested in relationship with me and Alliant decided that it is not intrested. I do not have any hard feelings toward Affinity. They do not know me, they might be suspicious or whatever, I would gladly accept 5-7.5k line and would patiently increase it, as I did with BOA, AMEX, MACY'S, DISCOVER, CITI and PENFED.

One benefit might be your PenFed $50k CL.  It should no longer factor into your revolving utilization, as CL's that high are not treated as CC's anymore, from my understanding, just into the debt side of equation.

Message 25 of 33
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@wmarat wrote:

One benefit might be your PenFed $50k CL.  It should no longer factor into your revolving utilization, as CL's that high are not treated as CC's anymore, from my understanding, just into the debt side of equation.

There is some sort of a cutoff I believe and I don't think it is anywhere near that high. $20K sticks in my mind for some reason. It would be nice if some knowing person could chime in here with how that really works. Of course this is strictly for FICO scoring purposes. All issuers have their own formulas, models and methods for granting credit and can treat anything anyway they want to.
Message 26 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a $25,000 CL with NFCU and it's CL and balances still factor into my utilization percentages....so it's gotta be higher than $25k.

Message Edited by txjohn on 07-14-2009 02:08 PM
Message 27 of 33
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

It's my understanding that it's a figure higher than $30K. And I think it's different by bureau.

At one point, I had $30K on a USAA card, and it was included in my util, so I'm guessing above that. (I chickened out and shifted a bit off to the other card, so now it's a $27K MC and a $10K AmEx, both USAA.)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 28 of 33
wmarat
Valued Contributor

I have 3 $25K accounts which are counted in util. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that TU stops counting at 40K.
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 29 of 33
FocusOnFICO
Regular Contributor

Wmarat---thank you for the input re: Addison.  I would not have thought to check with them.

My First Command and Simmons First cards have set the stage to up their rates, and although I don't carry balances, I needed to add a low rate card in case of emergency.

I applied with Addison yesterday and was approved today for their card---thanks again.

This finishes my successful 2009 spree and I plan to sit tight and credit garden for the next two years before home purchase.

I could not have done so well without the great advice here---thanks again.

Starting Score: TU 766 EQ 788
Current Score: TU 788 EQ 811
Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.