cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call Chase Sapphire Preferred Back Door or Let it Lie?

tag
Alberio
Contributor

Call Chase Sapphire Preferred Back Door or Let it Lie?

Hi,

I closed on my house a few weeks ago and went on an app spree two days ago to increase my available credit and therefore lower my util and increase my FICO score in the long run.  The long term goal is to refi the house.  I also really wanted a Chase Southwest card for the sign-up miles since we fly Southwest several times a year.

I have not gotten any new cards in at least a decade, and my AAoA is very long.  My util at the time I made the spree was about 35% with a total credit available of about $48K among four credit cards (Discover, AmEx Blue Cash, Citi Thank You Preferred and the BoA MC).  My largest credit limit is $20,200 on my BoA Mastercard and the rest are at or just under $10K.  My FICO scores are below, but are around 700.

I started by apping the Chase SW card since that is the one I wanted most and was instantly approved for $10K.  I then applied for the Chase Sapphire Preferred and got the message that they would evaluate my account.  They cite 7-10 days, 30 days or 2 weeks for that evaluation depending on its on the auto dial in number, email or the first response I got.

I then applied for the Home Depot CC and got instantly approved for $1701.  I called them right away based on what I have read here and asked for a $20K credit limit.  After a ton of questions and three different agents, they approved me for the full $20K.

I then applied for the Sallie Mae card and got the 7-10 day review message, but the next morning I got an email that I was approved, however.  The credit limit is $12,500 on that one.

So the good news is that so far my total credit line has nearly doubled, so my util % is knocked way down just by virtue of that.  I also got the card that I really wanted with a nice limit too. 

I'm just not very patient about the CSP application.  I've been calling CSP auto application status line once or twice a day for the last few days and it always says they are evaluating and will get back to me, prob in about 2 weeks.

My question is, is it better for me to call the Customer Service backdoor for CSP and press the issue or should I let it lie and see how it plays out?

Thanks!!

Starting Score: 644 (EQ) 646 (EX) 670 (TU) as of 11/2013
Current Score: 732 (EQ myFico) 740 (EX myFico) 740 (TU myFICO) as of 8-25-14
Lender Pulled Scores (3-19-14): 709(EX)/700(TU)/670(EQ)
Goal Score: 710 (Made it!!)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Call Chase Sapphire Preferred Back Door or Let it Lie?

@Alberio wrote:

Hi,

I closed on my house a few weeks ago and went on an app spree two days ago to increase my available credit and therefore lower my util and increase my FICO score in the long run.  The long term goal is to refi the house.  I also really wanted a Chase Southwest card for the sign-up miles since we fly Southwest several times a year.

I have not gotten any new cards in at least a decade, and my AAoA is very long.  My util at the time I made the spree was about 35% with a total credit available of about $48K among four credit cards (Discover, AmEx Blue Cash, Citi Thank You Preferred and the BoA MC).  My largest credit limit is $20,200 on my BoA Mastercard and the rest are at or just under $10K.  My FICO scores are below, but are around 700.

I started by apping the Chase SW card since that is the one I wanted most and was instantly approved for $10K.  I then applied for the Chase Sapphire Preferred and got the message that they would evaluate my account.  They cite 7-10 days, 30 days or 2 weeks for that evaluation depending on its on the auto dial in number, email or the first response I got.

I then applied for the Home Depot CC and got instantly approved for $1701.  I called them right away based on what I have read here and asked for a $20K credit limit.  After a ton of questions and three different agents, they approved me for the full $20K.

I then applied for the Sallie Mae card and got the 7-10 day review message, but the next morning I got an email that I was approved, however.  The credit limit is $12,500 on that one.

So the good news is that so far my total credit line has nearly doubled, so my util % is knocked way down just by virtue of that.  I also got the card that I really wanted with a nice limit too. 

I'm just not very patient about the CSP application.  I've been calling CSP auto application status line once or twice a day for the last few days and it always says they are evaluating and will get back to me, prob in about 2 weeks.

My question is, is it better for me to call the Customer Service backdoor for CSP and press the issue or should I let it lie and see how it plays out?

Thanks!!

I would call the credit analyst number for Chase in the backdoor numbers thread, which is in a sticky called helpful threads.

Message 2 of 9
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

For sure, call the recon/analyst number.
Message 3 of 9
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the spree!  Others have mentioned having trouble getting information on secondary application on the same day with Chase.  Definitely call the credit analyst to find out what has happened.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 4 of 9
Shock
Established Contributor

Not sure if youll get approved. An instant 10k likely means a denial for another card

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 5 of 9
Alberio
Contributor

Thanks everyone!  I called the number in the backdoor thread and was transferred to an analyst who just asked me a bunch of questions.  I gather he was trying to verify that is was really me that applied for the card - lots of questions about other CCs, loans I have, previous addresses, previous employers, and whether I have a mortgage.

In the end - APRROVED for $10,000.

Hooray!!

Thanks again for the good advice!

Starting Score: 644 (EQ) 646 (EX) 670 (TU) as of 11/2013
Current Score: 732 (EQ myFico) 740 (EX myFico) 740 (TU myFICO) as of 8-25-14
Lender Pulled Scores (3-19-14): 709(EX)/700(TU)/670(EQ)
Goal Score: 710 (Made it!!)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 9
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

If all else fails congrats on your new lines! Otherwise I would call Chase!

Message 7 of 9
Shock
Established Contributor

i stand corrected. back to back 10k lines is no joke!

they gave me 12k on southwest btu would not approve my CLI on my freedom lol. weirdos. had to move some line over.

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 8 of 9
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@Alberio wrote:

Thanks everyone!  I called the number in the backdoor thread and was transferred to an analyst who just asked me a bunch of questions.  I gather he was trying to verify that is was really me that applied for the card - lots of questions about other CCs, loans I have, previous addresses, previous employers, and whether I have a mortgage.

In the end - APRROVED for $10,000.

Hooray!!

Thanks again for the good advice!

Congrats on the new card. It's a good one!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.