Did you mean: 

Call cards companies before travel?

tag
vish1
Valued Contributor

Re: Call cards companies before travel?

@Anonymous wrote:

@amp0804 wrote:

Calling is not needed anymore, maybe 8-10 years ago.

Wrong.  I traveled two years ago to Mexico and my card was flagged.

Call.  With identity theft running rampant, let the card company beware so YOU don't end up standing there feeling like a dolt.

+1

It can't hurt to call all companies but amex. Looks like amex had enough of those calls and they have put it on their website (when I log in to my zync) that they dont need to be told about travel.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 11 of 27
craigatcraignet
Valued Member

Good news everyone.Smiley Happy

To all those that have said "Call" I will do just that.

Thanks.

Craig, an IT guy.
The technical difficulty originally scheduled for this time has been postponed - due to technical difficulties.
Message 12 of 27
amp0804
Regular Contributor

Well sorry that happened to you. Im just repeating what many CSR from a vast majority of CC companies have told me.

Message 13 of 27
vish1
Valued Contributor

@amp0804 wrote:

Well sorry that happened to you. Im just repeating what many CSR from a vast majority of CC companies have told me.

I do agree that you are just saying what you hear and am glad that you never had a problem.

On the flip side, we have also heard people getting into problems at times. In addition to that, there is no assurance that the companies won't change their risk management algorithms over time.

I would rather be cautious and call the CCCs if the travel is not frequent and even more if the spending is going to increase in either volume over a period or average transaction size.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 14 of 27
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

In the beginning when I WAS calling Amex, they never cared were I was going, they would just ask how much I thought I would be spending... I usually told them 10-15k and they would tell me I don't see why that would be a problem, have a good trip!

Message 15 of 27
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

In the past it really wasn't necessary to call, but with the rates of fraud now occuring many cards will block usage out of the US unless notified.  Take 5 minutes and give 'em a heads up, it's just a new hassle we now have with the crooks and bums wanting to steal from the CCC's.

Message 16 of 27
ficofox
Regular Contributor

I am kicking myself for missing a prime opportunity for a CLI.  The last time that I called about travel plans, the CSR asked a question along the lines of "do I anticipate out of the ordinary usage" or something and after I hung up, I realized that I could have made a strong case for needing an additional $2K cushion for hotel authorizations (you know, caviar at the Burj al Arab - in my dreams).  anyway, I really think that's a great excuse for a little unschedule bump in the 'ol CL.  It really is valid when you're on travel. But really, call, for heaven sake.  Computers are running these fraud detection algorithms and any strange out of the ordinary-ness will set up a big ol flag.

With FICO, time heals all wounds.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 17 of 27
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

@amp0804 wrote:

Calling is not needed anymore, maybe 8-10 years ago. The reason why you dont need to tell them is because

they only way they consider fraud of any sort is if your on vacation and your making purchases then out of no

where in between the timeline your away you start having charges accross the other side of the country they get

suspicious. Amex, Citi and Chase have all said this to me when I have called over the years to let them know. Now I dont call

anymore and I dont have any problems.

As others have said, sooooooooooo wrong.

Between Citi and Chase, I can't even begin to count the number of times my card's been flagged. Never happens if I'm traveling in the US/Canada though.  Only Europe/Asia.

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 18 of 27
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

I agree with the others. The last thing you need is your card being declined for security reasons.

One thing you have to look out for is the ETF fee and that is charged when you use your credit card outside of the U.S. There are a few cards who don't charge an EF but most of them do. I believe Capital One and the Charles Schwab 2% card don't have ETF fees.

Message 19 of 27
craigatcraignet
Valued Member

Hi again;

Well we won't be in europe or asia.  Nope.  We're going to Branson!  

Face/Palm Smiley Very Happy

Wife's idea for 25th anniversary.

Craig, an IT guy.
The technical difficulty originally scheduled for this time has been postponed - due to technical difficulties.
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.