Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling Amex before purchase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Calling Amex before purchase

I have never used that 'check your spending limit' button. I don't need it. If my card gets declined I will use a different card. I have plenty of credit.

Message 11 of 19
smc733
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have never used that 'check your spending limit' button. I don't need it. If my card gets declined I will use a different card. I have plenty of credit.

I just don't want to be embarrassed at a table with 6 other people...

Anyway, I agree, I have a feeling I probably have a monthly limit ~1k to start.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 12 of 19
brian2220
Regular Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

I just tested it for $500, approved.  Did $200 two days ago no problem there either.  Do you think they weigh the credit lines I have when assigning my soft-limit?

i think that  they did this for me now because my limit 2 weeks ago was 1500 and now its 3000 with my recent approval from us bank

My Cards
BBVA/Compass 2/12 $ 5000 ----- Chase Freedom 12/10 $3000 ---- Cabela's 1/12 $3000 -----US Bank FlexPerks Cash Rewards 6/11 $3000 ----Walmart Discover 10/11 $2814 ------ Discover More 11/11 $2500 ----- Amazon Store Card 2/11 $2100---- Amex Zync 4/11 ---- Citi Dividend Platinum Select 3/11 $1950 ---- BofA Cash Rewards 12/11 $1000
Message 13 of 19
smc733
Valued Contributor

@brian2220 wrote:

@smc733 wrote:

I just tested it for $500, approved.  Did $200 two days ago no problem there either.  Do you think they weigh the credit lines I have when assigning my soft-limit?

i think that  they did this for me now because my limit 2 weeks ago was 1500 and now its 3000 with my recent approval from us bank

Hmm,

Interesting, so I guess that means I'll have $6,000 with a reported income lower ($5,700) (I make ~$18k+ when expanded full year)

That would be hilarious.  PS, Citi is on crack for giving me that limit.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 14 of 19
StillLearning
Valued Member

So I hate to butt in here, but...  if AmEx is iffy for any payment at any time, any place, why does everyone like it so much?  I've never had one, and with all the CLD's that were posted on here a year or two ago I just don't get it???Smiley Indifferent

Message 15 of 19
smc733
Valued Contributor

@StillLearning wrote:

So I hate to butt in here, but...  if AmEx is iffy for any payment at any time, any place, why does everyone like it so much?  I've never had one, and with all the CLD's that were posted on here a year or two ago I just don't get it???Smiley Indifferent

Warranty protection, customer service, web tools, prestige, etc...

A lot of them have their reasons, but I have a feeling most people never have issues, and I just like Amex.

Message 16 of 19
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@StillLearning wrote:

Everyone is likely to have his or her own reasons. For me, I did it strictly because of the backdating. I had an account with them way back in 1987, but it went bad and was closed in 1991. I found out, thanks to this forum, that if Amex issues a new card, they will backdate it to the opening date of the very first account that you had with them. Since I received a preapproved offer, it was too tempting to pass up on adding a card from a prime issuer AND bolstering my AAOA.

Most of my monthly purchases are still going on one of my MCs, though. Admittedly, I don't like feeling as if someone is looking over my shoulder at every purchase, and I do get that feeling when I use my Amex. So far, I've kept my activity to < 400/mo with Amex, just to start getting comfortable with them, and they with me. We'll see how it goes...

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've made two dozen purchases a month from less than $20.00 to over $2,000.00 and I haven't been declined in the thirteen months I've been a member.  But it is alway a good idea to carry s back-up credit card with you just in case IMHO.

Message 18 of 19
smc733
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've made two dozen purchases a month from less than $20.00 to over $2,000.00 and I haven't been declined in the thirteen months I've been a member.  But it is alway a good idea to carry s back-up credit card with you just in case IMHO.

Yep,

I carry my Visa and Amex.  Daily things (a few bucks) go on the Visa, only certain things for the Amex.  Don't see the advantage in spreading usage across more than 2 cards.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.