Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling Creditors for retention bonuses

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Calling Creditors for retention bonuses

Definitely gonna look into this before closing my AF cards that I don't wanna keep.
Message 11 of 15
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

Definitely try AMEX. Have had luck with them last 2 years.

Message 12 of 15
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@heyarrnold wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I see heyarnold suggests the opposite.  I think that's fine if you don't mind possibly losing the card.

Yeah, I haven't come across a situation where a CSR closed the account. They have always asked why and then they offer something or transfer me over to the retention the department. At least that's from my experience. Either way should work for most cards Smiley Happy

When I closed my Amex PRG I called in and asked if there was any retention available and the CSR was like "Nope, so shall I close it? Ok, done."

LOL!

Message 13 of 15
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

Thank you for the tips.

Just got off the phone with Chase and I was able to get a $100 statement credit on my United Explorer card to offset the $95 annual fee. One down 5 more to go.

Very nice..first round is a win (and even better with Chase). Good luck with the others. I guess success depends a lot on spend on the account and if a customer is still profitable without the AF. 😉

Message 14 of 15
12njoy
Super Contributor

I simply call and say "I want to pay off my account and then close it".  This way I'll get the csr to usually say why and then I'll say the AF.  If they offer a bonus to keep account, I'm good.  If they say OK how do you want to make the payment, I say online.  The account stays open and nothing lost.  I've been most successful with Amex.   No luck with Chase.  Will be trying Wells Fargo here in a few months with the Propel card.

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby (1.6M)/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.