Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling Every Jobless Credit Card Holder

tag
dtjones052209
Regular Contributor

Re: Calling Every Jobless Credit Card Holder

+1 sr383

I was leaning towards this thread being a "how to survive the credit crunch while being unemployed. "

I even had my inspirational speech ready to encourage our community family. lol!  I guess I will save that for another thread.

Message 21 of 24
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@vayub4 wrote:

I would learn to learn from others in the same boat as me. I am currently jobless and have 4 credit cards and 3 stores cards.... I am going to list my cards, feel free to do the same. Ask questions and offer advice when you can

BOA AmeriCard******  $500(First CC, was opened mid 2011 as a secured card with $500 limit.. Just got back the deposit about three months ago)

Amazon Chase*******$1500

CapitalOne Journey**$1500

Discover It************$750

Store Cards

JCP******************$1000

Macys****************$1000

Old Navy**************$450

I got the chase, discover and CapOne on the same day which was March last year. I have requested for CLI for both CapOne and Discover and was turned down without inquiries. Chase and BOA insist they would have to run full inquiries. I have 8 inquiries on TransUnion, I am waiting for 3 to fall off before I apply for any more cards.

Welcome to myFICO. Sorry about your job situation. My advice is to use your cards sparingly until you find employment. CLI's without a source of steady income would not be in your best interest. Let your accounts age while unemployed...that's the best thing you can do. The best of luck to you.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 22 of 24
vayub4
Regular Contributor

@dtjones052209 wrote:

+1 sr383

I was leaning towards this thread being a "how to survive the credit crunch while being unemployed. "

I even had my inspirational speech ready to encourage our community family. lol!  I guess I will save that for another thread.

Basically this thread is to offer advice for people like myself. There are probably thousands out there who just come here to read threads as guests. I was one of such people before I decided to register.

I have been without a job for sometime and these cards have been very very useful. II may not carry any balance now but that has not always been the case, there were times where these cards were the only money I could spend. I hae already learned a lot from others and that is why I am just going to hold off on apps for now. 

Before now I wasn't very active with job search but nowI am currently looking for a job hopefully something comes up soon.

Discover IT $25,500 Chase Freedom $14,500 CapOne QuickSilver $10,000 Walmart Mastercard $10,000 PayPal Xtras Mastercard $10,000 JCP $7,500 BOA Cash Rewards $6,900 OldNavy Visa $5,000 BarclayCard $3,700 Macys $3,500 HH Gregg $3,500 BestBuy $2,000 Last APP June/2016(useless rental apartment)Inquiries: Trans/7 Exp/16 Eqi/27
(1 Car Loan @2.74%)
Message 23 of 24
enharu
Super Contributor

@vayub4 wrote:

@dtjones052209 wrote:

+1 sr383

Basically this thread is to offer advice for people like myself. There are probably thousands out there who just come here to read threads as guests. I was one of such people before I decided to register.

I have been without a job for sometime and these cards have been very very useful. II may not carry any balance now but that has not always been the case, there were times where these cards were the only money I could spend. I hae already learned a lot from others and that is why I am just going to hold off on apps for now. 

Before now I wasn't very active with job search but nowI am currently looking for a job hopefully something comes up soon.

credit cards can help you tide over an emergency or unforseen event, but they're just a temporary fix. It isn't a means to an end. Finding employment, regardless of whether you start your own business or work for someone, and therefore having income, is the only permanent solution. Best of luck with your job search. It's pretty tough to find a good job in this economy, but there's no way around it either. 

the other reason why you should hold off is because your income from buying / selling phones is on the low side. As such, you may be declined for cards that has some minimum CL requirement, and you will most likely be getting low CLs for cards that you got approved for as well. But if you were to apply in a few months after you land a job, your chances of getting a higher CL is much higher. This is quite a big difference, especially for lenders who want to do HPs for CLI requests.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.