cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can AMEX increase my FICO greater than other cards?

tag
grc123
Established Member

Can AMEX increase my FICO greater than other cards?

Hello: 

I was wondering if being approved for an AMEX card could improve my FICO, if paid in full each month?  I finally pushed my FICO over 800.  I have three credit cards with zero balances.  I pay them in full each month.  The cards each have over a 17% interest rate.  I applied and was approved for them when my FICO was in the 650 range. If I'm finally approved for an AMEX, I was considering canceling one or two of the other cards.  I'm wondering what your experience and opinion is.  Thank you!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Chaos122
Regular Contributor

Re: Can AMEX increase my FICO greater than other cards?

Paying in full, will always aid your credit by keeping yout utilization low.. But if your asking if youll get a credit bump just because its an amex card, then no.. As far as your credit score is concerned it doesnt matter if its an Amex card or if its a chase or discover.. Its about how you use them.

Starting Score: TU 608, Eq 618
Current Score: TU 797 Eq 792, Ex 805 (psecu)
Goal Score: 840 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@grc123 wrote:

Hello: 

I was wondering if being approved for an AMEX card could improve my FICO, if paid in full each month?  I finally pushed my FICO over 800.  I have three credit cards with zero balances.  I pay them in full each month.  The cards each have over a 17% interest rate.  I applied and was approved for them when my FICO was in the 650 range. If I'm finally approved for an AMEX, I was considering canceling one or two of the other cards.  I'm wondering what your experience and opinion is.  Thank you!

Did you ever buy your true FICO scores from here? Remember that the scores you got from CreditKeeper are worthless. Until you buy at least one FICO score you really don't have any idea what your accurate credit profile is.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 7
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@grc123 wrote:

Hello: 

Not to be off topic but your Fico is 800s and your paying 17% apr? I would call them right now and ask for a DC in apr %. I wouldn't cancel any cards, I would ask for a CLI. That will help your UTIL % - which will improve your Fico score. Less Util % = higher score.

Message 4 of 7
grc123
Established Member

I purchased my Credit Report through MyFico.com and my Equifax score was 808 on May 15th.  I started with an Equifax score of 641 from MYFICO in Sept 2008.  It's been a long tough road!  I was looking at MyCreditKeeper because I thought they were reporting all three scores and comparing the variances from my credit reports.  I cancelled my membership this morning.  Thanks for the advice. 

Message 5 of 7
grc123
Established Member

TnTexas72:  Great advise!  I'll call the banks that issued my cards and request a CLI.  Thank you!

Message 6 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@grc123 wrote:

I purchased my Credit Report through MyFico.com and my Equifax score was 808 on May 15th.  I started with an Equifax score of 641 from MYFICO in Sept 2008.  It's been a long tough road!  I was looking at MyCreditKeeper because I thought they were reporting all three scores and comparing the variances from my credit reports.  I cancelled my membership this morning.  Thanks for the advice. 

That is good to know. Congratulations on the score!

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.