cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Americans get international credit cards from foreign banks?

tag
Jarrodpd
Regular Contributor

Re: Can Americans get international credit cards from foreign banks?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Hmm.

I don't suppose the topic is taboo. So just how does one go about that?

Well, you probably wouldn't want these particular cards, but a number of UK banks offer "offshore" banking, e.g. HSBC's version:

https://www.expat.hsbc.com/1/2/hsbc-expat/products/cards?HBIB_dyn_lnk=hme_nav_t2_col1_lnk_3

offers various sterling-based credit cards.

Looking through all the details makes me happy that the US isnt as stringent on credit cards. To be an account holder with them you need to have £60,000 or equivalent in $/€, that would be almost $95K or €83K. Also from what I gether most of the cards have foriegn transactions of 2.9% except the Amex cards. With the Amex cards you cant get one if you have an U.S. nationality.

USAA Platinum Mastercard: $8000
American Express HHonors no AF: $12000
American Express Premier Rewards Gold: NPSL
American Express Platinum: NPSL
US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig: $5100|Chase Freedom: $7000|Chase Sapphire Reserve: $10000
Total combined CL:$42,100|Exp: 763(788Amex)|Equ: 759|Tu: 769 (04 May 2016)
Message 11 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Jarrodpd wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Hmm.

Well, you probably wouldn't want these particular cards, but a number of UK banks offer "offshore" banking, e.g. HSBC's version:

https://www.expat.hsbc.com/1/2/hsbc-expat/products/cards?HBIB_dyn_lnk=hme_nav_t2_col1_lnk_3

Looking through all the details makes me happy that the US isnt as stringent on credit cards. To be an account holder with them you need to have £60,000 or equivalent in $/€, that would be almost $95K or €83K. Also from what I gether most of the cards have foriegn transactions of 2.9% except the Amex cards. With the Amex cards you cant get one if you have an U.S. nationality.

Right, but that 60K GBP isn't really to get the card, it is to get an offshore account.  Compare it more with the limits needed for  say Chase Private Banking, here (although they are for different purposes)

Message 12 of 30
victor7
Established Member

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Jarrodpd wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Hmm.

Right, but that 60K GBP isn't really to get the card, it is to get an offshore account.  Compare it more with the limits needed for  say Chase Private Banking, here (although they are for different purposes)

Exactly. You only need to qualify for HSBC Premier in one country (presumably your home country), and the requirements vary by country. That allows you to open accounts in other countries, and then get credit there. (You can do it without being HSBC Premier, but there are additional fees, and it's a bit harder.) You do not need to keep a large balance in those other countries. This is really convient for people who live part time outside the US, or who travel extensively.

So, for example, you can be HSBC Premier in the US ($100k on deposit), and then open Premier accounts in other HSBC countries (UK, Hong Kong, wherever). Then that HSBC bank can issue you a local card, local mortgage, etc. I've done this, and while it's a pain to set up (HSBC is a bit bureacratic), it works great once it's in place. To avoid conversion fees, I only use a card for transactions in that card's native currency.

I believe Citibank offeres similar services for their Citigold clients and I think requires less money on deposit. But they don't serve the countries I need, so I've not used them much. Likewise, there may be other banks that provide this service, though it is getting harder for US citizens.

Message 13 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI Victor 7. Thanks for your information. I had 2 questions. 

1. What are some of ther other foreign banks that give credit cards to dual citizens

2. Can you give me a few rules and a general time period to increase the credit score to a igh level. 

Thanks
S

Message 14 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

HI Victor 7. Thanks for your information. I had 2 questions. 

1. What are some of ther other foreign banks that give credit cards to dual citizens

2. Can you give me a few rules and a general time period to increase the credit score to a igh level. 

Thanks
S

The thread is 8 months old!   In general, it's not dual citizenship that matters, you either need some form of residence in one of the countries (to establish say an HSBC account of the right type) or use an offshore arrangement.

There are lots of posts on how to improve credit scores, see the rebuilding section for example.   BUT, your US credit history won't apply if you apply for cards in other countries usually.   Some issuers such as Amex can use history in one country to issue you a card in another, but the history itself won't transfer to credit bureaus in that country.

Message 15 of 30
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@CreditPacMan wrote:

I think you can't .. but anyway we have a ton of options here in the US and others dream of having the great cards we have offered here!

^^^^This. Foreign cards, higher apr's, high income qualifications (verified), lesser rewards.  Check out the cap one Costco card for Canada, no want.  There is more competition here.  Looser bank regs (despite the CFPB).  I sometimes feel for the Brits and EU folks.

Signature needs updating
Message 16 of 30
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Oops, LTL is right, old thread.
Signature needs updating
Message 17 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@CreditPacMan wrote:

I think you can't .. but anyway we have a ton of options here in the US and others dream of having the great cards we have offered here!

^^^^This. Foreign cards, higher apr's, high income qualifications (verified), lesser rewards.  Check out the cap one Costco card for Canada, no want.  There is more competition here.  Looser bank regs (despite the CFPB).  I sometimes feel for the Brits and EU folks.

Depends what you want though:

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/credit-cards/search/results/?goal=CC_ALLCARDS

Several cards with 38 months of 0% BT.

Message 18 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Speaking of foreign issuers, a legit UnionPay card might be kinda neat. I don't think any US bank issues those.

Message 19 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was in Toronto for fun and I was instapproved for Eaton's and Hudson Bay store cards.  Of course, this was years ago so I'm not sure it could happen now.

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.