Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Amex Work For Me?

tag
Boldilocks
Established Contributor

Can Amex Work For Me?

OK, so I plead guilty to being ignorant about Amex cards in general - it's my own fault.

Anyway, today I responded to an offer and was instantly approved for the Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card.  I am not a high flying sort - I don;t travel a lot, stay in hotels a lot, rent cars a lot or wine and dine a lot.

I read (somewhere) that charging small sums of around the same amount every month (like $500 grocery shopping, say) could result not only in the invisible credit limit being very low, but also also it would look on my reports like I was maxing it out.

Can I make this card play nicely?  Should I just sock drawer it and keep it for the age it will add as time goes on?  I need to come up with a game plan - it has been pointed out to me that the damage has already been done in terms of the inquiry, the reduction in my aaoa and in the new credit.

Current scores: EQ 736, TU - 732
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Can Amex Work For Me?

@Boldilocks wrote:

OK, so I plead guilty to being ignorant about Amex cards in general - it's my own fault.

Anyway, today I responded to an offer and was instantly approved for the Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card.  I am not a high flying sort - I don;t travel a lot, stay in hotels a lot, rent cars a lot or wine and dine a lot.

I read (somewhere) that charging small sums of around the same amount every month (like $500 grocery shopping, say) could result not only in the invisible credit limit being very low, but also also it would look on my reports like I was maxing it out.

Can I make this card play nicely?  Should I just sock drawer it and keep it for the age it will add as time goes on?  I need to come up with a game plan - it has been pointed out to me that the damage has already been done in terms of the inquiry, the reduction in my aaoa and in the new credit.

App to SD?  not a good move in this climate especially, you'll for sure want to PC after your 1st year free to a lower fee card like Zync (since you say you won't benefit much from the Gold rewards.)

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 9
Boldilocks
Established Contributor

I think I'll just use it for paying my monthly bills - electric, gas, cable, insurance, groceries, etc., then pay it right back.  Makes paying bills a two step process rather than one, but at least the card will get some use and rack up some points in case I do ever need them for that trip home to ireland!  :-)

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Boldilocks wrote:

I think I'll just use it for paying my monthly bills - electric, gas, cable, insurance, groceries, etc., then pay it right back.  Makes paying bills a two step process rather than one, but at least the card will get some use and rack up some points in case I do ever need them for that trip home to ireland!  :-)

That's what I'm using mine for CONGRATS!

Message 4 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Boldilocks wrote:

I think that the comment that you read sounds like someone worrying out loud. Other than a few times where trips were on my Gold card, it usually got about the same amount of usage every month. And in fact, the balances were usually $0, unless a charge hit right at the cut-off time. (The highest balance during the month does show on reports.)

I wouldn't worry about this. Setting it up for recurring charges is a great way to use your card.

We can easily go crazy wondering what lenders think when they look at our reports. But as far as I can tell, lenders aren't using that "thinking" thing at all. Smiley Tongue

Congrats on your card!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 9
Boldilocks
Established Contributor

LOL, thanks Hauling!  The place where I got that (though I saw it more than once) was here:  http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1973021

I'll try to relax about it and feel may way.  There isn't a lot of damage it can do as long as I pay properly, my scores are pretty high and my reports are completely clean - hopefully it'll be more "tweaking" than anything else.

Never thought I'd be worried about being approved for a new card - I need my heads seen to!  Smiley Very Happy

Incidentally, do you have any idea what your invisible limit is?  Or you mj?

Message 6 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I dropped my Gold right before the AF was due. I'm cheap; what can I say? I never did have the nerve to test the internal limit. I have a Blue now, and it's right there staring at me: $5K.

I'll step aside for mjbfan. Smiley Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on this Approval..I was approved as well a few days ago.Smiley Wink 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

I'll step aside for mjbfan. Smiley Happy

LOL

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.