Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Anyone Get A Credit Union CC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can Anyone Get A Credit Union CC?

I saw on the Suze Orman show that a credit union credit card many be easier to qualify for (besides giving lower interest rates and fees).  Can anyone get a credit card from a credit union?  Or do you have to be an employee of a certain employer/city/state in order to go to the credit union for a credit card?

Belver

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can Anyone Get A Credit Union CC?

@Anonymous wrote:

I saw on the Suze Orman show that a credit union credit card many be easier to qualify for (besides giving lower interest rates and fees).  Can anyone get a credit card from a credit union?  Or do you have to be an employee of a certain employer/city/state in order to go to the credit union for a credit card?

Belver

Every CU has their own membership requirements. If you are interested in any particular ones contact them about what it takes to join.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 6
castlefox
Regular Contributor

I belive most credit union CC requires membership, but I am sure that isnt the case for everyone. 

I got approved for my CC through my credit union last week.

Idk the best place for searching for credit union but I just typed my zip code and 'credit union'  into google and found a couple of options and then picked the CU that would give me the highest interest rate and could offer me a credit card.     I ended up going with Alliant Credit Union.  www.alliantcreditunion.com    I wouldnt say there is a 'best' CU because it depends on what people want out of their credit unions. 

MyFICO score- Equifax - 12.03.11 - 780 Experian 12.03.11 - 763
(FAKO Scores) EXP PLUS Score Dec 2011. 748
Advanced Risk Score 2.0 (NextGen) 793 Dec 2010
Vantage Score (2011) MAR = 771 Jun = 771 Sept= 788 Dec= 773
2012 MAR = 782 JUN=783 Dec = 789
2013 Mar-796 Jun-799 Dec- 797
Message 3 of 6
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

@castlefox wrote:

I belive most credit union CC requires membership, but I am sure that isnt the case for everyone. 

That's how every credit union operates.  CUs are member owned.  You must have a 'share account' to get any product from them, be it CC, loan or interest earning account.

All CUs have different membership requirements.  It used to be that basically all of them were owned by employees of a given company, but now it seems that most of them allow anyone to join or have very loose membership requirements that can be met by anyone that is seriously interested.  Family members of current CU members are almost always eligible, so ask your close family members if they belong to a CU and you are likely eligible.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
LisaPA
Regular Contributor

If you go to the NCUA page they have a link to a searchable database of credit unions (Credit Union Data->Find a Credit Union). You can search by affiliation type (like company or church), location, or name. NCUA is the credit union version of the FDIC.

I don't live anywhere near Chicago, but I joined Alliant CU last spring and I am very happy with them.

Message 5 of 6
bakalao2k
Frequent Contributor

belverbears wrote:

Belver

Are you talking about the episode that aired last Saturday?  Suze told a caller who was having problems after closing their sole credit card to open a secured card with a credit union to build a credit history.  She told the caller that debit card transactions aren't reported to credit bureaus.

TU - 737 - 02/21/09, 769 - 02/06/10, 795 - 09/08/10
EQ - 758 - 02/21/09, 783 - 02/06/10, 805 - 09/08/10
EX (PLUS) - 781 03/23/09, 787 - 02/06/10, 783 - 08/09/10
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.