cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Chase see your itemized receipts?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Can Chase see your itemized receipts?

@vagrants wrote:

A quick question...but I guess it's business CC related...I know Chase & AMEX offer uploaidng an image of receipts. If they already have the itemized information, what's the point?

From what I know, it's only for their business cards.  Amex's Open, and I didn't realize jot offered the option to upload receipts.

Receipts are scanned, then uploaded via our online accounts.  I suppose Amex could see our transactions, but it would be extremely time consuming for them to pull up the image, peruse each one, and have no assurances we even uploaded correct and authentic receipts.

I'd imagine the point would be that with a computerized system, the search would be much more efficient, accurate, and targetted.

Message 11 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@napplegate wrote:

I feel this is another situation, just as with AMEX FR's, where people overthink things.  I routinely buy $2500 worth of vanilla reloads per month on my CSP.  I also purchase another $1000 per month worth of other things where AMEX isn't accepted and through the UR mall.  I have all my banking with Chase and also spend roughly $500 per month on my Freedom (more depending on the categories).  There hasn't been a moment where I've worried if Chase will look at my transactions and possibly close my accounts.  As long as you're not an anomoly ie ONLY purchasing gift cards on your Chase accounts  or purchasing excessive amounts there should be no issues.  

People have said, based on part clampdowns, it makes no difference if you mix "good" spending with "bad".   While i don't know if it's true, it really does make sense, issuer X is mad at you because you have manufactured $YK in rewards, and the fact that you also spent say $2000 on normal purchases, while that does reduce X's loss a little, doesn't reduce X's anger and desire to shut you down!  After all, nornal spend is all they expect  to see, so you don't get brownie points for doing that...

And I think we all agree "excessive amounts" are what gets you into trouble. The problem is determining that threshold.  $2K a month is probably safe (this is 1x spending right?)    But if your point balance is too high from past rewards, Citi for example might decide that this was unacceptable abuse.

Message 12 of 15
EmCredit

To answer the OP, in short, no. I know from personal experience that Chase does not keep itemized receipts on file. In fact, they cannot tell what has been purchased without requesting copies of receipts directly from the merchant. So while they can get this information, they don't have immediate access to it.
Message 13 of 15
USF813
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like an invasion of privacy to me. Let me get in on one of these cards before the class action lawsuit is filed. I already got $8.43 from the Amex FOREX settlement (and I IIB them in BK, haha).

Message 14 of 15
enharu
Super Contributor

No offense, but if you want privacy, wouldn't cash be the best way to go? Or even bitcoins for that matter? There's really little difference in the level of intrusion from having records at where and when you are shopping vs what you are buying. If anything the NSA has a lot more data on you than what the lenders do.

Personally I think them keeping such records is good. Maybe it can help make warranty or purchase protection claims process easier since they already have records on file.

And like longtimelurker said, buying GC on top of legitimate purchases isn't going to make those actions any less guilty. Normal spending is expected. It's just like a rental car company would expect you to use a rental car like a normal person would, rather than to take it to the racetracks for a quick spin on top of "normal" driving. However, there are legitimate gift card purchases. Couple thousand of GC purchases each month shouldn't result in any AA in most cases, so nothing much to worry about. However, if you do care about that account or your relationship with that specific lender, then don't risk it.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.