Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Fingerhut take away my CLI?

tag
jbishop1001
Frequent Contributor

Can Fingerhut take away my CLI?

I've read tons of reviews on Fingerhut and their CLI's. I've had 2 within 6 months (now at $1200) and I haven't used any more credit since they gave it to me. 

I've also read a lot about people receiving CLI's - only to find that after they pay it down Fingerhut decreases their limit.

I have not seen such terms presented to me from Fingerhut. Should I be nervous about losing the higher limit eventually?

Starting Fico 8 Score: 571 EQ - 574 EX 605 TU Current Fico 8: 695 EQ 677 EX 709 TU
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can Fingerhut take away my CLI?

Any company can remove a CLI. -- especially for non-usage. I'm not sure about fingerhut specifically..will let others post on that.
Message 2 of 6
ddemari
Super Contributor

Fingerhut is notoriious for this practice. I closed my Fingerhut account 6 months ago because it was dragging my credit profile down I felt and I had no purpose to keeping it. On top of that, I was really annoyed with them for constantly granting me 3 month credit limit increases if I spent the amount of additional credit they were lending me. Bascically, they wanted me to run up a huge bill in order to keep the credit limit. 

What's also tricky about them is that they grant you the temporay credit limit for about 20-30 days before sending you a letter explaing how this is only temporary and if not used, you wil lose the temp credit limit but be able to keep 200 hundred dollars of it.

They would do this to me all the time. The first few credit limit increases I received with them, they were permanent. You will be able to tell which kind of limit increase you received when they mail you a letter. My first two increases were permanent, then the temp limit increases, especially around a holiday season. They are the worste. 

Message 3 of 6
Scott_S
Regular Contributor

I went from 500 to 900 to 1500 in less than a year.  I only made two purchases, both time combined is less than $150 in merchandise, but I still have the 1500 CL and the only letters or emails I get from them are remiders of my available credit.  But if they decrease my line I won't really care, I'm never going to spend much with them ever and if they closed my account for non-use they'd be doing me a favor.

Message 4 of 6
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Fingerhut is okay if you're trying to rebuild or even build a bit of credit history but once you get better cards, dump them as soon as you can. You'll be amazed by how much better you can do without them.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kenny wrote:
Any company can remove a CLI. -- especially for non-usage. I'm not sure about fingerhut specifically..will let others post on that.

They could close it too. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.