Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I AMEX again?

tag
NY_Beauty
Regular Contributor

Can I AMEX again?

Many moons ago (1994) I had an amex green.  It went into collections and I can't remember if I ultimately paid it off or not. The amount was about $500.  Nevertheless, do you think they would reinstate me if I pay it off?  Would they hard pull? Would they backdate?  I am expecting somewhat of a bump in score after some things show up on my CR in a few weeks so I will wait until I'm closer to 700 but just wanted to see what others may have experienced. Thanks in advance for your input.

Amex Green Amex Gold Delta Rewards Discover IT CU Rewards Visa Closed on my new home 5/2013!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can I AMEX again?

My situation was very similar to yours. I had an Amex Green that went to a CO back in 1992. It was for a few hundred dollars and remained unpaid. In May 2011 I received an offer to apply for an Amex Green. I assumed that I was blacklisted, but some forum members informed me that they check their internal records first to see if you're blacklisted, and if so, they won't pull a credit report; so, no hard pull to risk if blacklisted. I apped and was approved, and have once again become an Amex cardholder, backdated to 1987. Smiley Happy

So, you could try to apply and see what happens. Good luck if you do decide to try.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 2 of 19
NY_Beauty
Regular Contributor

Awesome! Who should I contact? What was your score when you contacted them?

Amex Green Amex Gold Delta Rewards Discover IT CU Rewards Visa Closed on my new home 5/2013!

Message 3 of 19
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@NY_Beauty wrote:

Awesome! Who should I contact? What was your score when you contacted them?

I didn't contact anyone specifically; I simply responded to an invitation to apply that I received in the mail. You can try applying through their website and see what happens. My scores were in the mid-600s at the time.

Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 4 of 19
NY_Beauty
Regular Contributor

I'm afraid of the hard pull if I apply online...

Message 5 of 19
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@NY_Beauty wrote:

I'm afraid of the hard pull if I apply online...

Huh?  Doesn't matter whether you talk to them on the phone or do it online.  When you fill out any app for any creditor you will get a hp.  If you are not blacklisted with AMEX then you will get a hp and at that point you are either approved or denied.  If you want an Amex or any other credit product an hp is required.  Sorry but there is no way around it.  If it is we would all be trying to find it Smiley Very Happy.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 6 of 19
NY_Beauty
Regular Contributor

"Huh"?

I asked the question because I did not know. Isn't that the purpose of these forums? I also posed the question to someone who had gone through the experience.

Message 7 of 19
NY_Beauty
Regular Contributor

FYI - I was sent a message stating if you have a history with them you can work out the payment plan without any pulls at all. It's not a new app...

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NY_Beauty wrote:

Many moons ago (1994) I had an amex green.  It went into collections and I can't remember if I ultimately paid it off or not. The amount was about $500.  Nevertheless, do you think they would reinstate me if I pay it off?  Would they hard pull? Would they backdate?  I am expecting somewhat of a bump in score after some things show up on my CR in a few weeks so I will wait until I'm closer to 700 but just wanted to see what others may have experienced. Thanks in advance for your input.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

But as has been mentioned, you might not even be on their blacklist.  You can either app or call them to find out.  

Message 9 of 19
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@NY_Beauty wrote:

"Huh"?

I asked the question because I did not know. Isn't that the purpose of these forums? I also posed the question to someone who had gone through the experience.

Yes, of course the purpose of the forums is to be able to ask questions; that's how we learn. I think the other poster might has simply been a little confused; I doubt that the intent was to offend.

So, HP or no HP, that is the question? Here's how I understand it:

If you are blacklisted, they will not pull a report at all but will automatically reject, so no HP.

If you are not blacklisted, they will pull a report and make a decision. You will either be approved or rejected. Either way, it will result in a HP.

I hope this helps clear things up. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.