cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I PC my Chase IHG to another no fee Chase card?

tag
jackff
Established Member

Can I PC my Chase IHG to another no fee Chase card?

Chase IHG was a great card for me because of the annual free night with very low annual fee. But for some reason I don't need the card now and I am considering closing the card, or converting it to another Chase credit card if possible. My questions are:

1. Can I PC my Chase IHG to a no fee Chase card? I already have a freedom card, can I PC my IHG to another freedom?

2. If I close or convert my IHG card, Will I lose the IHG points I earned from the card, including the 80k signup bonus?

3. If I close my IHG card, can I move all the CL of my IHG to my freedom card?

4. Is Chase sensitive to account closure? This is my first time considering closing an account, Will there be any side effect for closing my IHG card?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I PC my Chase IHG to another no fee Chase card?

@jackff wrote:

Chase IHG was a great card for me because of the annual free night with very low annual fee. But for some reason I don't need the card now and I am considering closing the card, or converting it to another Chase credit card if possible. My questions are:

1. Can I PC my Chase IHG to a no fee Chase card? I already have a freedom card, can I PC my IHG to another freedom?

2. If I close or convert my IHG card, Will I lose the IHG points I earned from the card, including the 80k signup bonus?

4. Is Chase sensitive to account closure? This is my first time considering closing an account, Will there be any side effect for closing my IHG card?

Thank you!

1. How long have you had it?

2. Have you used the points or unlinked them from the CC?

3. You can move everything but $500

4. Only if you opened the card, acquired the bonus and close it immediately after..

Message 2 of 8
jackff
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@jackff wrote:

Thank you!

4. Only if you opened the card, acquired the bonus and close it immediately after..

Thank you for your reply, Nixon Smiley Happy

1. I have had it for 1.5-2 years if I remember correctly (including the time when it was a Visa card);

2. I used the points once but there are still some points in my IHG account. I used two annual free nights. I haven't unlinked the points from the CC (do I need to?);

3. By "but $500" do you mean I have to pay $500 for the CL move? Or the maximum CL I can move is $500?

4. Is 1.5 years long enough to close the card safely?

Message 3 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@jackff wrote:

1. Can I PC my Chase IHG to a no fee Chase card? No I already have a freedom card, can I PC my IHG to another freedom? No

2. If I close or convert my IHG card, Will I lose the IHG points I earned from the card, including the 80k signup bonus? Best to transfer those points before you close

3. If I close my IHG card, can I move all the CL of my IHG to my freedom card?  You can move all of your limit except $500.  If you have had no activity on your IHG CC for over 30 days (or 1-2 billing statements) then you can move the entire CL.

4. Is Chase sensitive to account closure? Only if you recently opened the card and close it after collecting your sign up bonus.  This is my first time considering closing an account, Will there be any side effect for closing my IHG card?  Not really.

Thank you!

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jackff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jackff wrote:

Thank you!

Thank you for your reply, Nixon Smiley Happy

1. I have had it for 1.5-2 years if I remember correctly (including the time when it was a Visa card);

2. I used the points once but there are still some points in my IHG account. I used two annual free nights. I haven't unlinked the points from the CC (do I need to?);

3. By "but $500" do you mean I have to pay $500 for the CL move? Or the maximum CL I can move is $500?

4. Is 1.5 years long enough to close the card safely?

1. You're clear to cancel it if you want.

2. Use up the rest if you haven't yet. Or transfer it.

3. You can move everything but $500 of the limit to another card. See Finstar's post for more info on that.

4. See # 1

Message 5 of 8
jsucool76
Super Contributor

If the IHG points work similar to other hotel programs, the points don't accrue into your credit card account, they accrue into your IHG rewards club account, so you won't lose them if you close your credit card, you just need to keep your rewards club account open with IHG themselves. 

Message 6 of 8
jackff
Established Member

Thanks @Nixon, @FinStar and @jsucool76. Very helpful comments. I think I will have to put my IHG card into my drawer for a couple of months and end up with closing the card while moving all its CL to my freedom. Hope this won't hurt too much on my credit score though... Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jackff wrote:

@Anonymous @Anonymous, @FinStar and @jsucool76. Very helpful comments. I think I will have to put my IHG card into my drawer for a couple of months and end up with closing the card while moving all its CL to my freedom. Hope this won't hurt too much on my credit score though... Smiley Sad

Doubt it'll hurt.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.