cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Use My Entire DCU Available Visa Credit as a Personal Line-of-Credit?

tag
Girac
Regular Contributor

Can I Use My Entire DCU Available Visa Credit as a Personal Line-of-Credit?

I have $7500 available credit on my DCU card, can I trnasfer the entire line to my checking/savings account?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I Use My Entire DCU Available Visa Credit as a Personal Line-of-Credit?

@Girac wrote:

I have $7500 available credit on my DCU card, can I trnasfer the entire line to my checking/savings account?

I don't have DCU but most, not all, credit unions will allow you to use your entire credit line as a cash advance, not a personal line of credit.  I'd seriously think twice though before utilizing your entire credit line as a cash advance.  Their all all kinds of concerns, such as high interest, credit utilization, credit scores, possible AA that should be considered.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

DCU doesn't have a cash advance fee or a higher rate for cash advances. One of the big perks of being with DCU. It's all over their website.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utilization and scores are still important though. And I would be scared of spooking a lender with that.
Message 4 of 9
Girac
Regular Contributor

it would be short term and hopefully all paid off at the end of the month.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes you can.. I have done it multiple times.. But it's advised to take only 95%. Coz DCU calculates interest rate every day and ur total debt will keep increasing..
Message 6 of 9
taxi818
Super Contributor

Even if you can. why not just take out a signature loan? it only takes 15 mins or so with most credit unions. and interest is fairly low. with no early  pre payment penalty.

Message 7 of 9
TheConductor
Established Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

Even if you can. why not just take out a signature loan? it only takes 15 mins or so with most credit unions. and interest is fairly low. with no early  pre payment penalty.

And if you don't have any recent installment loans on your report, the signature loan could actually improve your credit score significantly.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 8 of 9
Girac
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the tip. Ill check into that if I need to go that route. Always good to have options.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.