Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I apply for Chase Freedom now?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I apply for Chase Freedom now?

Hello fellow credit card enthusiasts!

First of all, thank you so much to everyone who contributes to these forums. This has always been my go-to place for any information regarding credit.

That said, some background - my first credit card was a Discover (1750 limit) that I applied for 10 months ago - so my credit history is still very new. Since then, I have been approved for American Express (10k initial credit limit, recently increased to 25k). And then I took the CapitalOne Quicksilver card (3k initial limit, just upped to 5k). Now, just two days ago, I got approved for my fourth credit card - a Chase Sapphire Preferred with a credit limit of 15k.

I was a student until a month ago; just started my first job. I haven't had a lot of money, and therefore haven't put a lot of spend on any of these cards (average $300-$500 per month combined). Creditkarma displays my scores at 737. I have 7 credit inquiries in my short 1 year credit history.

Given all of this, how likely am I to be approved for a Chase Freedom if I applied soon? The reason I want to apply for Freedom is to produce Ultimate Reward Points faster and to use them in conjunction with my Sapphire Preferred.

Any tips appreciated! Thank you so much Smiley Happy

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I apply for Chase Freedom now?

Congrats on your success with your credit applications.

From what I understand as long as your with in the 5/24 rule you should be fine, but it may be best to wait 3 months before applying for anymore credit since your profile is so thin and as you said you dont really have that much money to spend yet anyway.

If I was you I would wait 90 days from last app then get the freedom then hang out with those for a year before applying for anything else.

Welcome to the forum.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

That sounds like good advice. I have to spend $4k on the Sapphir Preferred within the next 90 days anyway, so no point in getting Freedom right away. I was just itching to apply for another card but I guess I best wait 3 months. Smiley Very Happy

Also, a question about the 5/24 rule - is it that you have 5 or more credit cards, or that you have applied for 5 or more?

Here are the credit card related hard pulls on my profile:
Discover (initial application)

Discover (stupidly asked for a credit limit increase 1 month after applying and failed)

CapitalOne (they asked for documentation, I procrastinated and the 30 day period ended, application rejected)

AmEx (approved)

CapitalOne (applied again, approved)

Chase (Sapphire Preferred application, approved)

I also applied for PNC credit card before Discover and got denied, but that doesn't seem to show up in my credit report.

So I'm just wondering - I have 4 cards now, but 6 card related inquiries. Which one do they see for the 5/24 rule?

And thank you! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have 5 or more added in last 24 months, not applied

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly the convoluted rules and regulation that surround the 5/24 can be mind boggling, however I'm sure you are fine if you apply for nothing else before applying for the freedom.

and your welcome Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

okay hang on though. you got the CSP and your spend is up to $500 a month but you need to spend $4k in three months for the bonus... that's a card geared for people with higher spend than that. i would wait until you determine how the freedom will even benefit you before applying
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

My spend was $300-$500 since I was a student with low income. I applied for the CSP because I'm renting a new apartment now and need to buy furniture, TV, new PC and the Oculus Rift, etc. and I thought putting all that spend on a new credit card for rewards would be a good idea. Smiley Happy I'm hopeful of hitting 4k within 3 months.

But honestly I'm still surprised I got approved for SP. I was pretty sure I'd get denied since it doesnt seem to be an easy-to-get card, but they not only approved me but also gave a fantastic credit limit! My friend who has been on the same boat as me with building credit, except that his credit utilization is fairly high (~50% most times) applied for a Freedom and got approved... for a $500 credit limit. Yes, $500. What a joke. Man is he pissed!

I don't understand the algorithms these people use! Smiley Surprised
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
My spend was $300-$500 since I was a student with low income. I applied for the CSP because I'm renting a new apartment now and need to buy furniture, TV, new PC and the Oculus Rift, etc. and I thought putting all that spend on a new credit card for rewards would be a good idea. Smiley Happy I'm hopeful of hitting 4k within 3 months.

But honestly I'm still surprised I got approved for SP. I was pretty sure I'd get denied since it doesnt seem to be an easy-to-get card, but they not only approved me but also gave a fantastic credit limit! My friend who has been on the same boat as me with building credit, except that his credit utilization is fairly high (~50% most times) applied for a Freedom and got approved... for a $500 credit limit. Yes, $500. What a joke. Man is he pissed!

I don't understand the algorithms these people use! Smiley Surprised

yeah they are a little strange... my buddy applied for CSP last month and was approved with 8400 CL, he has perfect payment history but only had 2 credit cards for the last 18 years or so, and 2 auto loans so his file is quite thin.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

well the minimum approval for the CSP is $5k. i hope you have the money saved for your furniture and paying off the CSP Smiley Happy

i hope you meet your spend without over spending but, again, really evaluate the need for the freedom. you have a discover it with the double cash promo.

what is your monthly spend going to average now that you're out of school?
Message 9 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Do you really need the Freedom? The categories tend to be very similar to Discover's. You do have a CSP, so you can transfer your points for travel, but with only spending a few hundred dollars a month, you aren't going to get far in any rewards program, let alone spreading across many cards.

IMO, focus on what you have, see how the rewards add up, and decide from there. For now, I think you have more than enough for your spending.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.