cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I apply for same cards that were charged off in BK 10 years ago?

tag
tommy999

Can I apply for same cards that were charged off in BK 10 years ago?

This week my 10 year old BK dropped off my CRs!!!  I have 0 inquires from the past year. one $25k car loan and 1 $1500 cap one secured car with a $0 bal.   as well as some good old accounts showing but closed.  everything looks great now and I am just above 750.   My question is I would like to apply for a Chase perfered card and maybe a best buy or citibank card.  All three of these cards were included in my BK though.  None of them are showing on my CR's and the BK is gone aswell.   If I apply do they simply look at my CR's to decide or do they have internal records from over 10 years ago showing I may have defaulted on them previously.   Or if they even do have this could they even forgive me from so long ago.... or am I banned for life from any previous card I had before my BK?

Thanks guys!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Can I apply for same cards that were charged off in BK 10 years ago?

Some lenders do blacklist. Chase has a long memory but some have been successful. The information would be stored internally and if you are blacklisted a cr would not be pulled.

Best way to know for sure is to try.

Although your score -assuming its a FICO is high enough- Chase uses an internal scoring method. If the only cc you show open is the Cap1 a CSP might be a stretch.
Message 2 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

@tommy999 wrote:

This week my 10 year old BK dropped off my CRs!!!  I have 0 inquires from the past year. one $25k car loan and 1 $1500 cap one secured car with a $0 bal.   as well as some good old accounts showing but closed.  everything looks great now and I am just above 750.   My question is I would like to apply for a Chase perfered card and maybe a best buy or citibank card.  All three of these cards were included in my BK though.  None of them are showing on my CR's and the BK is gone aswell.   If I apply do they simply look at my CR's to decide or do they have internal records from over 10 years ago showing I may have defaulted on them previously.   Or if they even do have this could they even forgive me from so long ago.... or am I banned for life from any previous card I had before my BK?

Thanks guys!

Chase and Citi do maintain internal records and blacklists. 

If you defaulted on them previously, chances are you are blacklisted.

It depends on a lot of unknown factors as to how people get off the blacklist. I think it probably has to do with the dollar amount and time since they were burned. The specific factors they use for such considerations are not revealed. Some people were able to get new accounts with them, some were still blacklisted even after 2-3 decades. It just really depends.

Usually a good way to get off the blacklist, is to repay whatever you burned them for. This seems to be the best way, though not guaranteed. 

The best way to know if you are still blacklisted, is to apply. The down side is that they will sometimes still pull inquiries even when it's pretty much a pre-determined denial due to the blacklist. Sometimes people are denied without inquiries even being made. 

YMMV on the whole thing.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 9
mikey78
Frequent Contributor

Bofa Credit analyst said to me that " I understand your concern of your history but you can be sure  if your history gets removed from the CR We will still have all your history "
but will increasing your CLI to 5000 instead of the 500 being transfered make it help?
WHY YES IT DOES BUT I AM NOT SEEKING CLI in Exchange for lost of 10 year history Smiley Sad
BUT BOY THAT DOES EASE IT ALITTLE BIT Smiley Very Happy

Point is that even tho it may not be on your CR after the 10 years or 7 years for baddies
the banks have history no matter the timeline i think

Current score TU 708, EX 686 EQ 715
Status I.T.Garden Till 08/2014
Message 4 of 9
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

As with everything, YMMV.  I burned Chase in a bk in 2007.  I was approved for the Freedom in March with a $5K CL.  I  later tried to get the CSP and was denied.  Called to recon and analyst told me that (1) too many new accounts, which was true, (2) I owe a lot of debt (mortgage is $250K and SL's are $40K), (3) need more time to see how well I do with my current CL with them (4) CHASE WAS INCLUDED IN BK.  Also utilization was only at 8%.

So yea, they have internal records and therfore long memories.  Maybe I just slipped by on the Freedom, but after that response from the analyst I will wait until next year to hit them up for a CLI on my Freedom and if I get that then I will try for the CSP again.  Oh I forgot to add that I was initially denied the Freedom and I called back to recon I beleive 3 different times before they approved it.  But maybe 10 years later it won't be a big deal for you but I would at least try.  The only thing they can say is no.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 5 of 9
shols44
Frequent Contributor

@tommy999 wrote:

Thanks guys!

Just as everyone's said, long memories and definite blacklists. Since you only have one open CC with 1500, perhaps the CSP is a reach. The freedom is apparently easier to get, but as Rhaeny said you might have to recon.

That being said, you should have success with pretty much anyone at this point. I"m sure you could get any Barclays card, discover and possibly AMEX. You've certainly waited a long time to rebuild so your app itch has to be strong. My suggestion? Scratch it!

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 6 of 9
isilon01
Valued Member

I can confirm this about Chase. +1

About 9 years ago I had defaulted my Chase visa (think it was around $1k).  In Dec, 2012, I stopped by a local branch to open a checking acct and I was able to see the computer screen as the banker was helping me to open my account.  The very first thing she did was look for any existing account.  Yep sure enough she found me in their system and I saw a really noticeable indicator (in red, bold font!!) basically saying my account had been written off.  She saw it too but didn't even ask me anything about it.  7 mo later I apped for a Chase visa and got instant approval for $25k (sig).  So while they do seem to have internal records and blacklists, like @enharu said I think it really depends on $$ and time since you were blacklisted.  It would be interesting to start a new thread and ask the members of this forum who has been blacklisted when/$$ and also if/when they were given a 2nd chance by the same creditor.

Chase Sapphire Preferred: 33k | Chase MP Exp: 25k | Barclay WM: 15k | Discover: 14k | Citi TYP: 15k | Cap1 QS: 6k | WellsFargo: 7k | Amex BCE: 20k | Amex Platinum: NPSL

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide
Message 7 of 9
jasonkm1
Regular Contributor

I included Chase in a chapter 7 Bk in 1999 and was able to get their Freedom signature a few months ago. It was the first time I applied with them since the BK. I still haven't got my $100 bonus for spending $500 on the card so they probably know I had a card with them before and therefore not eligble for the bonus.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same thing with me, Ch Bk7 2001 and Chase allowed me a Freedom Card 2013. They took 20 minutes and two hard inquirys from two bureaus and was approved. Note Discover turned me down twice and the third time 2011 allowed me back in. Citi also let me back in 2009 but they all told me they keep records beyond ten years and can use them.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.