Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I apply for the same card twice?

tag
Gh0st
Contributor

Can I apply for the same card twice?

I got approved for a BOA cash back card that gave me $200 if I spent $500. I applied around the first week of July. Today I got mail for the same card, with the same bonus offer. I can spare the credit hit but I was wondering if it was possible to have two of the cards or would I automatically get rejected?

.Believe.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Can I apply for the same card twice?

yes you can. I did this with CapOne.

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 2 of 10
Gh0st
Contributor

I hope thats the case. I'll give it a try once I get the $200 in a week.

I actually recieve another inviation today.   I have two now for the same $200 offer.

.Believe.
Message 3 of 10
mikey78
Frequent Contributor

are you trying to get the reward again for spending 500?
and then Combining the CL to one? ;0

Current score TU 708, EX 686 EQ 715
Status I.T.Garden Till 08/2014
Message 4 of 10
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Most companies don't offer sign up bonuses to preexisting customers. I'd be surprised if they approve you for the exact same card and a bonus/...

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 5 of 10
Mopar_Jones
Contributor

I don't know about now.. but I know I did that with a BoA credit card back around 2007 I believe.. and yes, I got the bonus and had the same card twice.. but if you have a low limit on the first card, don't bother applying for the second.. you probably won't be approved..

Message 6 of 10
Gh0st
Contributor

Orginal card is 5k limit. I wouldnt really care to combine the limits but thats possible bonus. Just would like the $200 since I just need to spend $500.

.Believe.
Message 7 of 10
Luscher
Valued Contributor

why would you want to? I understand the sign up bonus. but theres other cards with equal to or greater bonus's and you get a whole new card/relationship
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 8 of 10
Gh0st
Contributor

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough but I would think $200 bonus for spending $500 is pretty hard to beat.

.Believe.
Message 9 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

@Gh0st wrote:

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough but I would think $200 bonus for spending $500 is pretty hard to beat.

Not too sure about BofA, but Citi allows individuals to have up to 2 of the same exact type of card and will still issue the sign-up bonus.

Chase and Amex will not issue sign-up bonuses if you had that card, closed or open, for the past 12-24months, depending on the offer itself.

So this policy really depends on the bank. Your best bet is to call and ask.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.