Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change a Cap One card? and other q's

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I change a Cap One card? and other q's

Here is my situation, I have two crappy capitolone cards with CL of $750 and $500 (both about a year old, only been a US resident for 18 months). I just paid off all my maxed out cards bringing my balances on everything to zero. My current equifax socre is 600 and according to fico simulator will jump to 700-740, once everything is reported.

Can I call Capitolone and ask them to combine and then convert my card into something better?

Should I take the opportunity of having a much better FICO score to apply for some decent cards(currently have BOA @ 19%, CapOne 19% and 14% and Chase  @ $14% & GEMB paypal buyer credit  @19%)?

I'm new to how credit works in the US (though learned it's not good to apply for a lot) and would appreciate some help.

Message Edited by siangirl34 on 07-26-2008 12:01 PM
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I change a Cap One card? and other q's

siangirl34 wrote:
Here is my situation, I have two crappy capitolone cards with CL of $750 and $500 (both about a year old, only been a US resident for 18 months). I just paid off all my maxed out cards bringing my balances on everything to zero. My current equifax socre is 600 and according to fico simulator will jump to 700-740, once everything is reported.

Can I call Capitolone and ask them to combine and then convert my card into something better?

Should I take the opportunity of having a much better FICO score to apply for some decent cards(currently have BOA @ 19%, CapOne 19% and 14% and Chase  @ $14% & GEMB paypal buyer credit  @19%)?

I'm new to how credit works in the US (though learned it's not good to apply for a lot) and would appreciate some help.

Message Edited by siangirl34 on 07-26-2008 12:01 PM

Hi and Welcome!

Cap 1 will combine cards but I am not sure if they will upgrade them all at the same time. They may ask you to call back if you want to lower the APR , add rewards, or a CLI.

BoA, I would call and ask them about lowering your APR and seeing if eligible for CLI. They are great about giving those!

I am not sure if Chase will pull a hard inquiry if you call them for APR reduction, but I know they usually do for CLI.

Is there some particular rewards card maybe you would like? Cash back or points for travel, etc?

Message 2 of 6
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

I asked Cap1 about this same thing a couple days ago, to decide what I wanted to do with my cards. I wanted to combine and upgrade to a cash back card.

Combining seems to be easy, according to them, so go for it. Upgrades seem to be harder to get per customer request. They suggested to me that I wait for an offer to upgrade from them in the mail, and then jump on it. I'm not sure why that is, but hey, that's cool. They did offer me a CLI, though. The rep was very nice and quite straight forward with me about what's viable and what's available, so I'd say give them a call and go over it with them. YMMV Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 6
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

Oh, and here's the number I called per a rep in an earlier call, to ask about upgrades and/or annual fee waivers (I think it's posted in the number thread): 1-800-889-9939. Hope this helps.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I'll give them a call and go with combining the cards for now.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I called and they combined the accounts. I kept the older one that has a 17% APR (higher than the other, but no AF). They also increased the limit by $200.00 HA!

Message Edited by siang on 07-27-2008 09:48 PM
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.