Regular Contributor
siangirl34

Can I change a Cap One card? and other q's

[ Edited ]
Here is my situation, I have two crappy capitolone cards with CL of $750 and $500 (both about a year old, only been a US resident for 18 months). I just paid off all my maxed out cards bringing my balances on everything to zero. My current equifax socre is 600 and according to fico simulator will jump to 700-740, once everything is reported.

Can I call Capitolone and ask them to combine and then convert my card into something better?

Should I take the opportunity of having a much better FICO score to apply for some decent cards(currently have BOA @ 19%, CapOne 19% and 14% and Chase  @ $14% & GEMB paypal buyer credit  @19%)?

I'm new to how credit works in the US (though learned it's not good to apply for a lot) and would appreciate some help.

Message Edited by siangirl34 on 07-26-2008 12:01 PM
Valued Contributor
stef37

Re: Can I change a Cap One card? and other q's

siangirl34 wrote:
Here is my situation, I have two crappy capitolone cards with CL of $750 and $500 (both about a year old, only been a US resident for 18 months). I just paid off all my maxed out cards bringing my balances on everything to zero. My current equifax socre is 600 and according to fico simulator will jump to 700-740, once everything is reported.

Can I call Capitolone and ask them to combine and then convert my card into something better?

Should I take the opportunity of having a much better FICO score to apply for some decent cards(currently have BOA @ 19%, CapOne 19% and 14% and Chase  @ $14% & GEMB paypal buyer credit  @19%)?

I'm new to how credit works in the US (though learned it's not good to apply for a lot) and would appreciate some help.

Message Edited by siangirl34 on 07-26-2008 12:01 PM

Hi and Welcome!

Cap 1 will combine cards but I am not sure if they will upgrade them all at the same time. They may ask you to call back if you want to lower the APR , add rewards, or a CLI.

BoA, I would call and ask them about lowering your APR and seeing if eligible for CLI. They are great about giving those!

I am not sure if Chase will pull a hard inquiry if you call them for APR reduction, but I know they usually do for CLI.

Is there some particular rewards card maybe you would like? Cash back or points for travel, etc?

Frequent Contributor
TangMeister

I asked Cap1 about this same thing a couple days ago, to decide what I wanted to do with my cards. I wanted to combine and upgrade to a cash back card.

Combining seems to be easy, according to them, so go for it. Upgrades seem to be harder to get per customer request. They suggested to me that I wait for an offer to upgrade from them in the mail, and then jump on it. I'm not sure why that is, but hey, that's cool. They did offer me a CLI, though. The rep was very nice and quite straight forward with me about what's viable and what's available, so I'd say give them a call and go over it with them. YMMV :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
TangMeister

Oh, and here's the number I called per a rep in an earlier call, to ask about upgrades and/or annual fee waivers (I think it's posted in the number thread): 1-800-889-9939. Hope this helps.
siang

Thank you! I'll give them a call and go with combining the cards for now.
siang

[ Edited ]
Ok, I called and they combined the accounts. I kept the older one that has a 17% APR (higher than the other, but no AF). They also increased the limit by $200.00 HA!

Message Edited by siang on 07-27-2008 09:48 PM

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}