cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change my name on Capitalone Credit Cards?

tag
ddemari
Super Contributor

Can I change my name on Capitalone Credit Cards?

I have a goofy situation, I opened up a capitalone credit card with my nick name. Can I contact Capitalone about changing the name on my credit card to my legal name? Or would that raise some redflags and I should just leave it alone. It was a stupid mistake on my part but because of the name, the card is not showing up on my TU credit report. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
d170
Regular Contributor

Re: Can I change my name on Capitalone Credit Cards?

You might have to send in proof of your actual name. Usually, people spell my name wrong. I had to send a copy of my DL for them to  update but your situation is different. Unless you used rob instead of Robert. But the nickname thing  could be explained. 

Time to Garden!!
EQ 703 TU 752 EX 711 as of 07/19/2014. In the garden until 01/19/2015. Baby steps, baby steps!! Trying for 750 ACROSS THE BOARD.
Message 2 of 8
ddemari
Super Contributor

I used my nick name which is not the name on my DL but the address, dob and social securtiy number would match up to the account. I am just afraid they will close my account or something. 

Message 3 of 8
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

I think you should be OK--as you say, you did not try to impersonate someone else. I would just call CS and say you made a mistake.

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 4 of 8
newhis
Valued Contributor

My DW has a complex last name (2 words) and now CK full credit report show that she has 3 different names used in her report. One name with both words, another with just the first and another with just the second.

I read somewhere that this shouldn't affect her history or score. She know which cards are reporting with only 1 word. Should she try to 'fix' that or there is no problem for this.

OP, last name, address, DOB are all the same, maybe you end up with another name used also. How long ago you got the card?

Message 5 of 8
ddemari
Super Contributor

On my Equifax and Experian CR's, it does indicate another named used but not on TU. The cards are about 2 1/2 years old. 

Message 6 of 8
newhis
Valued Contributor

I don't see why it should be a red flag. I hope someone has the right answer for you. If the card is not reported to TU or TU doesn't put that card in your report, that need to be fixed in my opinion.

Message 7 of 8
ddemari
Super Contributor

I dont mind so much that it is my nick name being used on the cc, I just want TU to report it. Should I ask capialone if they can report it to TU, instead of asking for a name change?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.