Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I close secured Capital One card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I close secured Capital One card?

After my arriving to US and receiving SSN I`ve made 6 HP to Discovery/AMEX/Chase/Capital One/BofA/Amazon.

I received Chase Sapphire Preffered ($15000), secured Discover IT ($1000), secured BofA ($5000), Capital One Qucksilver - unsecured ($300) and secured Capital One ($450), Amazon Store Card ($1500), Paypal Credit ($500).

Chase Freedom/Amex Blue Preferred and unsecured Discovery IT declined my applications.

Yes, I was a stupid and at first made the application for secured card and only after its approval - for unsecured Capital one Quicksilver.

My brand-new FICO score after all of these actions became 643 (instead 674).

What must I do with secured Capital One? Can I close it without a damage to my credit score?

I don`t want to use it, because I have other good rewards cards.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Can I close secured Capital One card?

@Anonymous wrote:

After my arriving to US and receiving SSN I`ve made 6 HP to Discovery/AMEX/Chase/Capital One/BofA/Amazon.

I received Chase Sapphire Preffered ($15000), secured Discover IT ($1000), secured BofA ($5000), Capital One Qucksilver - unsecured ($300) and secured Capital One ($450), Amazon Store Card ($1500), Paypal Credit ($500).

Chase Freedom/Amex Blue Preferred and unsecured Discovery IT declined my applications.

Yes, I was a stupid and at first made the application for secured card and only after its approval - for unsecured Capital one Quicksilver.

My brand-new FICO score after all of these actions became 643 (instead 674).

What must I do with secured Capital One? Can I close it without a damage to my credit score?

I don`t want to use it, because I have other good rewards cards.

Why is it stupid to open secured? you have to start someone and secured is the easiest and best way to do it. Of course you can close any card any time. Just like the lenders can. Depending on how much money is in the secured could be worth it to keep it open as no amount of money can pay for age and history. Something to think of. Its not about which limit is which and what is secured or unsecured. Its all about the history. Thats what fico is truly about.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

What must I do with secured Capital One if I don`t need it? What is your advice?

Message 3 of 4
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What must I do with secured Capital One if I don`t need it? What is your advice?

Just call them up and say you want to close your account. They will refund your money within 30 days. I have a capital one secured as well. But it is 2 years old. So i just keep it open and pay the $29 AF. That is the only use. Because it is worth 29 a year for me just for the history. The limit is 1k. But i only have $200 dollars of my own money in it. So i just leave it alone.But if you feel it is useless. It will not hurt your score to close it. unless your limit is so high on it that it will hurt your utilizatin. But based on your limits on your other cards. I doubt it will have any effect at all on your credit score. and if it does. not a big effect.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.