cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get a CC after recent car loan? And if so which would you recommend?

tag
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Can I get a CC after recent car loan? And if so which would you recommend?

@jevoyager wrote:

Ok, thanks for your help Smiley Happy

Let us know the results I'll be pulling for youSmiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 21 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 22 of 23
jevoyager
Established Member

Ok so a brief update, mainly in case anyone else later on is looking for info on the TVA CU card. I went in to apply for it (even had the same customer service person), only for them to change the conditions on me. For one they stated that there essentially was no minimum other than the required 5$ to have in the savings account. Well turns out (after opening a savings account and putting my deposit in) that oh its actually 500$. And she wasn't really sure on the APR either - it was obvious she didn't really know what she was doing, as she kept referring to her manual which didn't apparently give the info I kept asking for (or was too obtuse to read through to figure out, not sure which). I asked if there was someone else I could talk too and she got indignant with me so I said forget it just give me my money back and closed out the savings account. Urgh.

On a whim I checked into Capital One. Straighforwardly asked their customer service person about applying for a card given my situation with them, and he said to apply anyways. After talking to him a bit he suggested going ahead and applying for their platinum card, since he thought I was boderline, then if denied try for the secured card. Well of course I got denied, but now I'm told to wait at least a month before applying to them again, and that I'd have to resubmit an app and they'd hard pull again (even if I didn't wait the month but did it now while they still have my first app info). None of which the first customer service person mentioned, or I'd probably just stuck with the secured app. Smiley Frustrated But at least I know they didn't deny me out right because of defaulting on them before, so I guess that's some info I got out of the process. That and my TU score (which was weird as they referred to things in my EQ report for denying me, but on the back listed my TU score?)

So I guess I'll check into maybe the SDFCU (if I'm recalling my acryonyms right, lol)  Gonna wait for a week or so, since I got a call last week for a potential job offer requiring a big move and will need every penny to get there. (Probalby not happening as I dont' think they're gonna offer enough $ to make it worth moving, but holding off just in case.) If I end up relocating then I may wait & check out the CUs there to see what they offer.  I did find out my current CU while they don't offer a secured card, does offer secured loans; however the person I spoke to didn't recommend it, as it'd report as a secured loan and not boost my score much. Instead she suggested waiting a few months to let my car loan report, and see where I'm at score wise. I may, but I don't think it'd hurt to check into a secured card anyways, to establish another line of credit besides the car loan.

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.