cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get a CC after recent car loan? And if so which would you recommend?

tag
jevoyager
Established Member

Can I get a CC after recent car loan? And if so which would you recommend?

I'm new to all this so please bear with me if I don't give out all the info you need to help or don't understand Smiley Embarassed Working on my credit has been on my 'to-do' list for a long time, and in part I keep putting it off because it seems so overwhelming and intimidating. And the fact that the way things go for me, I tend to finally get back on my feet only to be knocked down again, so admittedly I've been kind of 'why bother' too. But I really want to give this a go, and slowly readings bits and pieces of info, and thinking about trying to start getting a CC or two, to start my long trek into reestablishing my credit.  However before I got around to that, my poor old car (RIP) finally had one repair too many. So I decided what the heck and gave applying for a car loan a shot - and to my pleasant surprise was approved! Its through a local CU for just 4.1% which is loads better than C1 offered (8.99%). Its nothing fancy but its new enough to have a warranty on it so I don't have to worry about breakdowns just getting to work all the time - big load off my mind!

While celebrating that victory, I am wondering now what to do about a CC. I'm in a bit of an unusual position, since I know this car loan will post on my report before long and that will drop my scores, BUT the other thing is that my student loans were all transferred and currently show as closed and paid in full which I figure must have boosted my CR recently (I do appreciate the irony in that probably allowed me to get a car loan). So should I take advantage of this window of opportunity to apply for a card?  I know I could likely score a secure card, and in fact plan to still check out one offered by a local CU (they advertise that whatever is in your savings acct they require you to open, is you balance for your card). But I'm wondering if I could qualify for an unsecured one, or one that will match what I put down?

So here's the deal with my credit. EQ 649, EX 636, TU?  Currently make 40K a year.  Frankly I got into the pickle I did taking care of not just myself but family members, and just got in over my head but at the time didn't know what else to do (how else do you tell your mother no she can't go to the doc because you don't have $?).  So yeah I ended up in a mess, but feel like I did what I had to, to get through tough times.  So I have 2 judgements on my report, that I'm currently paying on and a handful of bad accounts (old ones, that I think all or most have been reported as discharged by the company), and now a handful of inquiries due to the car loan. Like I said the paid off student loan is a plus, and before that the fact I've paid it on time now for several years.  I know that one of the cards suggested a lot is C1, but they are one of the ones that I'm paying off via a judgement, so I doubt I qualify for theirs. I don't trust BoA and would prefer not to apply to them (bad experience many years ago). NFCU I don't qualify for, and having just read a recent thread I might qualify for one through USAA even though I'm a limited member?  Would USAA be a good fit? Or does someone have other recommendations?  Should I try to apply for just one at a time, or a few to see what I get offered if any? 

Thanks millions for your help! The advice and kindness I've seen on these forums amazes me, and has made all this seem less scarry Smiley Happy

Jennifer

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Can I get a CC after recent car loan? And if so which would you recommend?

Welcome to the forum

Bravo for taking care of mom I would do the same and could care less about credit put in that position

That being said I have to think about what cards are good for you and yes now would be a good time to apply but the judgments may play a large part.

So give me some time to think I just wanted to let you know we will help to the best of our ability

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum! I would suggest going through your local CU that gave you the car loan. SDFCU is a good secured cc, low rates and reports to all 3.
Message 3 of 23
myjourney
Super Contributor

How old are the judgments?

Have you applied for any credit in last 6 months?

Do you bank with a CU or bank?

Do you shop at Walmart?

How much is your food and gas per month?

These may seem like crazy questions but I assure you they aren't Lol

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 4 of 23
jevoyager
Established Member

Um, off the top of my head the one is about 3-4 years old, the other about 9-10years.

Have you applied for any credit in last 6 months? No, not until the car loan this past week.

Do you bank with a CU or bank? Yes, but I checked and I don't meet their cut off score for a card.

Do you shop at Walmart? You mean there's people who don't?! Smiley Wink

How much is your food and gas per month? Food and other household stuff 600-800, but that's for two people, pets, and probably other things that don't really fall in that category but buy at the same time/place (eg printer ink at walmart). And I actually spend more than I have to by stocking up on extra items on sale if I can. So if I had to I could cut it (I've lived off less).

I'll add in that most of the 'bad stuff' on my CR is set to fall off at various times next year. So my original plan was to maybe get one secured card then wait to get a car loan or other cards after that, since I didn't think I'd qualify for anything with my scores. But that plan kind went out the window with the car breakdown, so thought if I should take advantage of this window of potential opportunity while I could, I'll do it, then go from there.

Message 5 of 23
myjourney
Super Contributor

@jevoyager wrote:

Um, off the top of my head the one is about 3-4 years old, the other about 9-10years.

Have you applied for any credit in last 6 months? No, not until the car loan this past week.

Do you bank with a CU or bank? Yes, but I checked and I don't meet their cut off score for a card.

Do you shop at Walmart? You mean there's people who don't?! Smiley Wink I like you already Lol

How much is your food and gas per month? Food and other household stuff 600-800, but that's for two people, pets, and probably other things that don't really fall in that category but buy at the same time/place (eg printer ink at walmart). And I actually spend more than I have to by stocking up on extra items on sale if I can. So if I had to I could cut it (I've lived off less).

I'll add in that most of the 'bad stuff' on my CR is set to fall off at various times next year. So my original plan was to maybe get one secured card then wait to get a car loan or other cards after that, since I didn't think I'd qualify for anything with my scores. But that plan kind went out the window with the car breakdown, so thought if I should take advantage of this window of potential opportunity while I could, I'll do it, then go from there.

Alrighty then 

secured card I'm with 09Lexie easy approval

https://www.sdfcu.org/

Walmart

with your scores 60% chance of approval

plus free Fico score 

fast growing and large increase on limits 

discount on gas if you have a walmart gas station

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 23
jevoyager
Established Member

The SDFCU looks like the same type of program as the local CU I was going to check out!

https://www.tvacreditunion.com/pages/loans-creditcards.html

Unfortunatly they don't have much info on their site, so hence why I wanted to visit a local branch and find out stuff like APR, fees, etc.  If they're pretty comparable as far as the fees/APR goes, would you see any advantage to one over the other?  I admit I do like the idea of dealing with a place that has a local branch I can visit if there's any problems, but if SDFCU is a good place to get one through then that's fine with me.

And thanks for the idea to get a Walmart card - the added benefits would be great if I could get one!

Edited to add:

Oh and I just thought of this, should I apply for one before the other? IE should I apply for the Walmart card, before a secured card? I guess in a way doing it in that order would make sense to me, since I don't know when my scores could drop due to the car/student loans reappearing, which would probably nix that.

Message 7 of 23
myjourney
Super Contributor

I would go with the one thats your area first because you can build a relationship with them and that may open doors for more of their products.

As in unsecured card,  personal loans and usually CU''s have lower lending rates on cards and loans

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 8 of 23
myjourney
Super Contributor

Didn't see an AF ....Good 

it has rewards .....Good 

INT 7.99 - 18%.....not bad depend which you get but I have seen higher

No monthly fees....great 

Not a bad deal from what I can see 

Ask about details to be safe when you go into branch as well as who they pull and what score is needed?

Edit typoSmiley Embarassed

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 9 of 23
jevoyager
Established Member

Well I'm guessing the Walmart card is a no go, got the "We'll let you know in 7-10 days" notice which I'm guessing isn't a good sign. Smiley Sad  I saw in other forum posts to call and see if its just an issue of information that needs verification, so I'll do that tomorrow.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.