Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get an old card back?

tag
audia4
Established Contributor

Can I get an old card back?

I originally opened my JC Penney in 1985.  This card remained open up until (according to my credit report) 2012. I believe I actually stopped using it many years before that (I'm honestly not sure but guessing maybe 2002ish). I went through a divorce and I have no idea what actually happened to the card. I believe they closed the account (probably from no use?) Quite honestly, I'm not even sure if I wasn't actually the one that requested to have it closed during my divorce. I honestly don't remember.

However, it has remained on my credit report all of these years and it just said "closed".

Now... all of a sudden it just now dropped off my credit for some reason and it really hurt my scores. I went for a long period of time, totally against having any credit cards or bills, and only paying cash for everything I did. So, I did not open up another credit card until 2013. Now that this card has dropped off my report, my "Credit Age" dropped drastically (after opening my last cc last December, 2015). I now have a credit age of (what use to be 34.5 years) 2 years and 10 months. Smiley Sad

So I'm wondering, is there any way to possibly contact JCP and tell them I was a long time customer (since 85) and explain what happened and possibly get my card back with it still saying a customer since 1985? (Kinda sorta like Amex goes back to the oldest card you have). I was never ever late and never had an issue with them. I would probably be willing, of course, to take a hard pull in order to get that time back.

So what is everyone's thoughts? Anyone ever tried this? Is it possible? Who would I contact?

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

(Also just wanted to say that when I sold my house back then, 2003, that has also just now recently fell off my credit as well and I'm sure that also didn't help). I'm just trying to figure out what I should/can do because we plan on buying another house next year. I just want to get all my ducks in a row. Smiley Wink

TU: 819 EQ: 821 EX 811

**$7500****$30,000*****$13500****$42,200****$10,000***$10,700*****$6000****$11,000*****OPEN****OPEN******$27,000*****11,000

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I get an old card back?

@audia4 wrote:

I originally opened my JC Penney in 1985.  This card remained open up until (according to my credit report) 2012. I believe I actually stopped using it many years before that (I'm honestly not sure but guessing maybe 2002ish). I went through a divorce and I have no idea what actually happened to the card. I believe they closed the account (probably from no use?) Quite honestly, I'm not even sure if I wasn't actually the one that requested to have it closed during my divorce. I honestly don't remember.

However, it has remained on my credit report all of these years and it just said "closed".

Now... all of a sudden it just now dropped off my credit for some reason and it really hurt my scores. I went for a long period of time, totally against having any credit cards or bills, and only paying cash for everything I did. So, I did not open up another credit card until 2013. Now that this card has dropped off my report, my "Credit Age" dropped drastically (after opening my last cc last December, 2015). I now have a credit age of (what use to be 34.5 years) 2 years and 10 months. Smiley Sad

So I'm wondering, is there any way to possibly contact JCP and tell them I was a long time customer (since 85) and explain what happened and possibly get my card back with it still saying a customer since 1985? (Kinda sorta like Amex goes back to the oldest card you have). I was never ever late and never had an issue with them. I would probably be willing, of course, to take a hard pull in order to get that time back.

So what is everyone's thoughts? Anyone ever tried this? Is it possible? Who would I contact?

(Also just wanted to say that when I sold my house back then, 2003, that has also just now recently fell off my credit as well and I'm sure that also didn't help). I'm just trying to figure out what I should/can do because we plan on buying another house next year. I just want to get all my ducks in a row. Smiley Wink

Your lineup and limits look great to me.  Scores, excellent.  Can understand why you would be frustrated. I assume you were at 850 across the board or close to it?

No chance in reopening that card. Its just too old.  6 months, sure, 1 year, maybe if you are lucky.

Do you know anyone that has some really old accounts that you could be added as an AU to?  LIke a 10 year old or more BOA account?  Amex wouldnt work.  Do you have any other types of accounts in your current profile aside from CCs?  If you dont have any other loans, its slightly possible an installment loan might give you a score boost.  But I don't know how much and its not guaranteed.

Message 2 of 8
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@audia4 wrote:

Once an account is closed, it can continue to report for up to 10 years... after that, it generally drops off.  Unfortunately, there's no quick-fix to your problem, but with time your AAoA will increase and the 'ding' for low AAoA will go away.

I'm actually in a similar situation myself... I have three accounts from the 'old days' that are significantly older than my other accounts, and I know that if I close any of those three accounts my AAoA will take a hit once they stop reporting. 

I also have three old PIF installment loans that will age off EQ and TU next spring (they are already off EX for some reason) and I know I'll take a score hit unless I pick up an installment loan somewhere, which is something I'm considering.  Like you, one of these is an old PIF mortgage.  Smiley Sad

Edited to add:  I realize my post isn't extremely helpful, but my point was just to say you're not aloneSmiley Happy

Message 3 of 8
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

Honestly, if those are your current scores, you have nothing to worry about.  I'm sure we are all in some way chasing the elusive 850 but honestly anything around 720 and up should qualify you for the best rates/cards.

I personally had a Discover card that I had opened back in my college years (probably 1999/2000) that I ended up closing in 2009 and it was my only credit card then.  I didn't know all the knowledge I do now, but I knew my credit scores would take a hit, but I did it because it was best for me at the time (we were getting on an actual budget and needed to pay $150k down in student loans and didn't want the temptation of going into credit card debt).  Moral of the story:  I wish I could still have that account open but it's in the past and honestly worked out for the best.  I'll lose that AA when it eventually drops off but that's fine - even if my scores take a hit.  Seems like the same could be applied to you.

Message 4 of 8
audia4
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Your lineup and limits look great to me.  Scores, excellent.  Can understand why you would be frustrated. I assume you were at 850 across the board or close to it?

No chance in reopening that card. Its just too old.  6 months, sure, 1 year, maybe if you are lucky.

Do you know anyone that has some really old accounts that you could be added as an AU to?  LIke a 10 year old or more BOA account?  Amex wouldnt work.  Do you have any other types of accounts in your current profile aside from CCs?  If you dont have any other loans, its slightly possible an installment loan might give you a score boost.  But I don't know how much and its not guaranteed.

My score "was" excellent, until these things dropped off, now it has dropped over 50 points. No, I wasn't at 850 lol  more like 800 ish (in my siggie).

I don't know anyone with older cards to be an AU on. I "am" that person that had all the credit and long history for everyone else to use. I'm no longer that person. This just sucks. I mean I'm 50 years old and only showing a 2 year average history. Credit is stupid the way they do things. Like what do they think I did all those years? (Sorry, ranting out loud).

The only other thing I currently have on my credit is a student loan. We have always paid cash for the last 10+ years for everything, including our cars.

**$7500****$30,000*****$13500****$42,200****$10,000***$10,700*****$6000****$11,000*****OPEN****OPEN******$27,000*****11,000

Message 5 of 8
audia4
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

Once an account is closed, it can continue to report for up to 10 years... after that, it generally drops off.  Unfortunately, there's no quick-fix to your problem, but with time your AAoA will increase and the 'ding' for low AAoA will go away.

I'm actually in a similar situation myself... I have three accounts from the 'old days' that are significantly older than my other accounts, and I know that if I close any of those three accounts my AAoA will take a hit once they stop reporting. 

I also have three old PIF installment loans that will age off EQ and TU next spring (they are already off EX for some reason) and I know I'll take a score hit unless I pick up an installment loan somewhere, which is something I'm considering.  Like you, one of these is an old PIF mortgage.  Smiley Sad

Edited to add:  I realize my post isn't extremely helpful, but my point was just to say you're not aloneSmiley Happy

So I guess that's why the others were still reporting (the 10 years). That really sucks. I now wish I would have bought a house last year or this year since my old house financing would still be on there showing PIF and never late or anything.

Thanks for the "you're not alone" post. I appreciate it.

Exactly what does it take to get the "ding" to go away? What does the AAoA need to be? At least 3 years? 5 years?  Like I said, now that the others feel off, I'm currently at 2 years 10 months.

Message 6 of 8
audia4
Established Contributor

@nachoslibres wrote:

Honestly, if those are your current scores, you have nothing to worry about.  I'm sure we are all in some way chasing the elusive 850 but honestly anything around 720 and up should qualify you for the best rates/cards.

I personally had a Discover card that I had opened back in my college years (probably 1999/2000) that I ended up closing in 2009 and it was my only credit card then.  I didn't know all the knowledge I do now, but I knew my credit scores would take a hit, but I did it because it was best for me at the time (we were getting on an actual budget and needed to pay $150k down in student loans and didn't want the temptation of going into credit card debt).  Moral of the story:  I wish I could still have that account open but it's in the past and honestly worked out for the best.  I'll lose that AA when it eventually drops off but that's fine - even if my scores take a hit.  Seems like the same could be applied to you.

I'm not chasing the 850 score for sure, but I sure liked it at the 800 mark. Those "were" my scores until these things started dropping off and my AAoA went way down. I have dropped drastically. I just want to be closer to the 800 (if not above) when I go to finance a house. The other factor on financing a house is that my husband is self employeed. So, the better our scores are I'm sure the better the chances of getting a loan with excellent rates. I don't know it's been so long since I bought a house (28 years ago and lived there over 20 years) and it all feels new to me again.

Message 7 of 8
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@audia4 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

So I guess that's why the others were still reporting (the 10 years). That really sucks. I now wish I would have bought a house last year or this year since my old house financing would still be on there showing PIF and never late or anything.

Thanks for the "you're not alone" post. I appreciate it.

Exactly what does it take to get the "ding" to go away? What does the AAoA need to be? At least 3 years? 5 years?  Like I said, now that the others feel off, I'm currently at 2 years 10 months.

In my case EQ is generally 20-30 points or so lower than EX and TU, so once my old installment accounts stop reporting to EX and TU in the spring I'm expecting them to drop to more closely match EQ.

My own AAoA is somewhere between three and four years (I just got a new card, so I'm not exactly sure where it stands now).  The algorithm FICO designed is quite complex, so there's no simple answer to your question... it really varies from person to person.

AAoA does seem to have a greater impact on people who have thinner files.  I'll agree with jfriend, though... even if your scores have taken a dip, if you're in the mid 700s you're really not hurting.  Actually, from the mid-700s the lack of active accounts will probably impact you more than a lower AAoA.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.