cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get the same credit card again after closing it?

tag
Varan
New Visitor

Can I get the same credit card again after closing it?

Hi!

I recently applied for a Chase Slate card to transfer a balance to.  The thing I discovered after doing so is that Chase won't transfer from one card to another (which after a couple minutes of Googling is apparently very common).  So... basically, I have this new Slate card that is worthless to me because I only use Chase.  

If I go ahead and close it now, but say in a year or two decide it would be a fantastic thing to have, can I re-apply and get the same card again?  I would just leave it open for possible future use but the 0% APR will run out so then it's not really that appealing to use at all.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Re: Can I get the same credit card again after closing it?

Yeah you can...not sure if the terms will differ the next time though.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 2 of 10
Varan
New Visitor

True.  Thanks, though, that answers my question!  I just didn't want to forever banish myself from the thing.

Message 3 of 10
Varan
New Visitor

Oh, one more question, which is probably a stupid one as I'd hope they'd have safeguards against this... but what if I get a different company card, transfer balance to that, and then transfer THAT balance back over to the Chase Slate?  Probably not worth doing (although Slate has 0 transfer fee), but... out of curiosity, could I?  It seems too easy. >_>

Message 4 of 10
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@Varan wrote:

Oh, one more question, which is probably a stupid one as I'd hope they'd have safeguards against this... but what if I get a different company card, transfer balance to that, and then transfer THAT balance back over to the Chase Slate?  Probably not worth doing (although Slate has 0 transfer fee), but... out of curiosity, could I?  It seems too easy. >_>

Yes you could, but I can't imagine the red flags doing such a thing would send.

Your best bet would be to call Chase and explain why you opened the Slate, and tell them that since you can't transfer the balance, you'd like to shift the credit limit from your Slate card to your other open card. So if you have a Freedom with a 5000 limit, and a Slate with a 5000 limit, you're asking to shift the 5000 from Slate to Freedom, making the Freedom's new limit 10,000.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 5 of 10
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Also, you wouldn't really be doing yourself any favors having two balance transfer cards that have no other real benefits or use besides just the balance transfers themselves.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 6 of 10
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

notfancy wrote:

Yes you could, but I can't imagine the red flags doing such a thing would send.

Your best bet would be to call Chase and explain why you opened the Slate, and tell them that since you can't transfer the balance, you'd like to shift the credit limit from your Slate card to your other open card. So if you have a Freedom with a 5000 limit, and a Slate with a 5000 limit, you're asking to shift the 5000 from Slate to Freedom, making the Freedom's new limit 10,000.

+1

Message 7 of 10
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I just would chalk it up as a lesson learned. You can close the card and move the limit over to your freedom. Just treat it as a credit limit increase on your primary card. 

Message 8 of 10
Varan
New Visitor

Sounds good.  Thanks, everyone!

Message 9 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Varan wrote:

which after a couple minutes of Googling is apparently very common

FYI -- Creditors generally don't allow BT's among their own products but even if you don't know or don't Google, terms are usually posted for you to review.  For the Slate (look under the Pricing & Terms tab):

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/slate.aspx

We will not process any balance transfer requests that are from any other account or loan that we (Chase Bank USA, N.A.) or any of our affiliates issued.

Always make sure you do your due diligence before apping.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.