Reply
New Visitor
24_InchRimzBallinOG
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎08-08-2012

Can I keep Amex & Citi?

It's a long story, but I gotta go to jail for 3-5 years.

I have a green NPSL Amex and Citi ThankYou Preferred card with a 5k limit. Both cards have zero balance and are linked to my bank account with 23k deposited. If being a convicted felon sucks, having my credit history wiped out because there are no transactions will just add icing to the massive pain cake.

I hope the Amex just remain open as a result of the annual fee, even with no charges to post. I know that the Citi card will cancel without any activity. I plan on opening up a mailbox at Mailboxes Etc. and that pay monthly to the Citi card, which is automatically paid by the auto draft from my bank. The lady said if I have a big enough box it will hold 10 years worth of statements. I also need to change my billing address for both cards to that address and the address on file with my bank.

FYI, my money will not be affected. Fines have been paid, and my lawyer has been paid.

Anyone think this is gonna work?

Mega Contributor
LS2982
Posts: 15,434
Registered: ‎04-09-2011

Re: Can I keep Amex & Citi?


24_InchRimzBallinOG wrote:

It's a long story, but I gotta go to jail for 3-5 years.

I have a green NPSL Amex and Citi ThankYou Preferred card with a 5k limit. Both cards have zero balance and are linked to my bank account with 23k deposited. If being a convicted felon sucks, having my credit history wiped out because there are no transactions will just add icing to the massive pain cake.

I hope the Amex just remain open as a result of the annual fee, even with no charges to post. I know that the Citi card will cancel without any activity. I plan on opening up a mailbox at Mailboxes Etc. and that pay monthly to the Citi card, which is automatically paid by the auto draft from my bank. The lady said if I have a big enough box it will hold 10 years worth of statements. I also need to change my billing address for both cards to that address and the address on file with my bank.

FYI, my money will not be affected. Fines have been paid, and my lawyer has been paid.

Anyone think this is gonna work?


Hopefully it does for you, d oyou have anyone you trust with your cards? You could let someone close to you use them and pay them monthly.

 




Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Established Contributor
gettnthere
Posts: 912
Registered: ‎06-14-2012

Re: Can I keep Amex & Citi?


LS2982 wrote:

24_InchRimzBallinOG wrote:

It's a long story, but I gotta go to jail for 3-5 years.

I have a green NPSL Amex and Citi ThankYou Preferred card with a 5k limit. Both cards have zero balance and are linked to my bank account with 23k deposited. If being a convicted felon sucks, having my credit history wiped out because there are no transactions will just add icing to the massive pain cake.

I hope the Amex just remain open as a result of the annual fee, even with no charges to post. I know that the Citi card will cancel without any activity. I plan on opening up a mailbox at Mailboxes Etc. and that pay monthly to the Citi card, which is automatically paid by the auto draft from my bank. The lady said if I have a big enough box it will hold 10 years worth of statements. I also need to change my billing address for both cards to that address and the address on file with my bank.

FYI, my money will not be affected. Fines have been paid, and my lawyer has been paid.

Anyone think this is gonna work?


Hopefully it does for you, d oyou have anyone you trust with your cards? You could let someone close to you use them and pay them monthly.

 


+1, i agree. somone really close and whom you really trust could put a small, occasional charge on the cards and then pay it so that they dont get closed due to inactivity



Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
Cleanmachine
Posts: 384
Registered: ‎04-30-2008

Re: Can I keep Amex & Citi?

I would recommend that you contact the Service Representative of both cards and see if they will suspend the usage of the cards

for whatever time you may need.

 

You do not need to explain the circumstances of your situation.

 

Just informed them it's personal reasons and you would like to keep the accounts active, but suspended for a period of time.

 

Hope this helps.

 

Good luck.

 

 

New Visitor
24_InchRimzBallinOG
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎08-08-2012

Re: Can I keep Amex & Citi?


Hopefully it does for you, d oyou have anyone you trust with your cards? You could let someone close to you use them and pay them monthly.

 


+1, i agree. somone really close and whom you really trust could put a small, occasional charge on the cards and then pay it so that they dont get closed due to inactivity


I am not comfortable with anyone else being able to use them. My moms might be okay, but anyone else in the family is likely to max them out. That would screw me hard. I was just going to hide the cards somewhere, at an undisclosed location.

 

Am I going to get automatically canceled because of my new criminal record?

 

Regular Contributor
HenryJumbo
Posts: 135
Registered: ‎07-21-2012

Re: Can I keep Amex & Citi?

Bad advice. You can't trust anyone for 3-5 years not to overcharge your CC. Also I'm pretty sure it's illegal and you and the person can probably get in trouble. I think the plan of getting a P.O. Box with automatic bill and payment is good. However it might be pretty expensive.

Starting Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 757 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Current Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Goal Score:     EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
In my wallet:  $12,500  $2,400
Established Contributor
gettnthere
Posts: 912
Registered: ‎06-14-2012

Re: Can I keep Amex & Citi?

i would guess that CCC dont have access to your criminal records nor are they interested in something like that. just your credit



Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 :smileywink:
Mega Contributor
LS2982
Posts: 15,434
Registered: ‎04-09-2011

Re: Can I keep Amex & Citi?


24_InchRimzBallinOG wrote:

Hopefully it does for you, d oyou have anyone you trust with your cards? You could let someone close to you use them and pay them monthly.

 


+1, i agree. somone really close and whom you really trust could put a small, occasional charge on the cards and then pay it so that they dont get closed due to inactivity


I am not comfortable with anyone else being able to use them. My moms might be okay, but anyone else in the family is likely to max them out. That would screw me hard. I was just going to hide the cards somewhere, at an undisclosed location.

 

Am I going to get automatically canceled because of my new criminal record?

 


Creditors to my knowledge do not check criminal records. I would let your mom handle them for you if your serious about keeping your accounts.

 




Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Mega Contributor
LS2982
Posts: 15,434
Registered: ‎04-09-2011

Re: Can I keep Amex & Citi?


HenryJumbo wrote:

Bad advice. You can't trust anyone for 3-5 years not to overcharge your CC. Also I'm pretty sure it's illegal and you and the person can probably get in trouble. I think the plan of getting a P.O. Box with automatic bill and payment is good. However it might be pretty expensive.


If an online transaction is made that should be sufficient. It's your mom of all people.....:smileyindifferent:

 




Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Regular Contributor
Dishpro
Posts: 116
Registered: ‎06-10-2012

Re: Can I keep Amex & Citi?

Set up autopay with the cards, that will guaranty monthly usage and set up payment from your bank account to pay the monthly card payments.
 

Starting Score:
585
Current Score: FICO TU 725 FICO EQ 735 EX 754
Goal Score: 850


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+