Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I pay my mother credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I pay my mother credit card?

The "please pay by" date for her American Express is in two days, and she only have a checking account with PenFed. Unfortunately, her account is "blocked" since 4 days now (We have no clue why, there is more than $10k in cash on it), the issue maybe come because she had to pay $10k for a rental (first month and 3 months deposit) and i thought we can use the "bill pay" to send a check to the owner. All whent good, she had to call penfed for security reason and they said all was ok. (status of the "check" was "paid") and now account blocked and need to contact someone, but it looks like he don't work much because everyday he is not available. (if you know what we can do on that it would help!). But the issue is her amex card, she don't want to be late on the payment, so not sure how we can pay it. If I can write my checking number on the amex website and pay the bill or if there is an other way. Thanks for your help! Alex
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Can I pay my mother credit card?

They dont give a flying fig who pays it as long as it gets paid. You can input your checking info and pay it
Message 2 of 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I would think you could add your checking account info on the Amex website and schedule a payment. Alternatively, you could push a payment from your bank's end using their bill pay system and putting the Amex cc info.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the answers, the worry line I don't like on the amex website is: "You must be an authorized signer on the bank account provided." And she is not an user on my checking account.
Message 4 of 10
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Don't know about Amex but you could just push payment from your bank or be old school and send a money order (not ideal but better than not paying).

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This isn't really your question, but I do want you to know you don't need to freak out.

The "Please Pay By" date is Amex's rather heavyhanded suggestion. It will not be considered late until approximately 2 weeks after that date.

The "Please Pay By" date is typically 14 days after the statement cuts, and you technically have 30 days (or the day before the next statement cuts) from the statement cut date to make your payment and avoid being late.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the answers, the worry line I don't like on the amex website is: "You must be an authorized signer on the bank account provided." And she is not an user on my checking account.

You could go add her as a user on your checking account today if your worried about it, then add your checking account info into the website and pay from your checking account. That would be the quickest way that I know of since she doesn't want to be late.

Message 7 of 10
Atonswife
Contributor

Honestly, I pay all my mother's bills...credit cards and others with no problem. I add my checking account online as the payment account and that's it. I don't think these companies care where the money comes from as long as they get paid.
As of 11/02/15:
EX-679, TU-707, EQ-690 (FICO 08),7/31/15 691 (FICO 04)
CAP ONE QS-$4,250, CAP ONE QS-$2K, CAP ONE VISA SIG-$7K, JETBLUE AMEX-$5K, DCU PLATINUM VISA-$6.5K, AMAZON STORE-$5k, BANANA REPUBLIC-$5k

AU ACCTS: CAP ONE QS-$1.5K, CAP ONE CLASSIC-3K, BLOOMINGDALES-$3K, NORDSTROMS-$1K
Message 8 of 10
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You could go add her as a user on your checking account today if your worried about it, then add your checking account info into the website and pay from your checking account. That would be the quickest way that I know of since she doesn't want to be late.

This is the best option I think.

Credit Card companies need to be sure that the owner of the checking account has explicitly given the consent to remove money from the account. 

Otherwise I could somehow get your checking account number and add that as the payment source on my credit card. Getting the routing number is easy anyway. There's no longer any signature validation required. The name (and the address as well) acts as the linkage.

Message 9 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

You can pay the account through your own bank's bill pay (probably the simplest way) or you can enter your checking details into the Amex website and let them initiate the ACH pull. 

Amex doesn't care either way; they add language about "being a signer on the account" to protect the cardholder (your mom) from the payment being reversed by the owner of the checking account (you). 

I also agree with the others on the "please pay by date"; on the Amex charge cards, the only date to really be concerned with is the closing date.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.