Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I pay off my 65% utilization before AMEX statement cutoff

tag
joestay
Frequent Contributor

Re: Can I pay off my 65% utilization before AMEX statement cutoff

Okay, so I just check my fico score from equifax and because of the high utilization, my score dropped to 704.  That's a 22 point drop with they took into account my overall utilization of 40% from all credit account.  Man, this is not good.  I'll check again in a month after they update my new credit limit and new % utilization, which is under 5% now.

Message 11 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

For people without bad derogs on their reports, revolving util can easily be the biggest drivers of their scores, triggering wild swings. The good news is that it's the element over which a consumer has the most control. Assuming that the consumer has money available to pay down the balances, that is... Smiley Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 18
larinoriani
Regular Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

For people without bad derogs on their reports, revolving util can easily be the biggest drivers of their scores, triggering wild swings. The good news is that it's the element over which a consumer has the most control. Assuming that the consumer has money available to pay down the balances, that is... Smiley Happy

100% true. My scores went up 40 points in one month when I paid almost 90% of my balances!

Starting Score: EQ 737--TU 742
Nov/2010: EQ 737--TU 742
Nov/2011: TU 753
Goal Score: EQ 800--TU 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 18
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

@joestay wrote:

Okay, so I just check my fico score from equifax and because of the high utilization, my score dropped to 704.  That's a 22 point drop with they took into account my overall utilization of 40% from all credit account.  Man, this is not good.  I'll check again in a month after they update my new credit limit and new % utilization, which is under 5% now.

You know, you can just call them and request they update with the CRAs now, rather than after the next stmt cut.  Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 18
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@TangMeister wrote:

@joestay wrote:

You know, you can just call them and request they update with the CRAs now, rather than after the next stmt cut.  Smiley Happy

True, but unless the OP is going to apply for credit before they next update it it really doesn't serve any purpose.  Just let it update next month and make a note in the future to keep your balances down when the CC's report.  Micromanaging your score might be a fine activity, but it can be overworked.

Message 15 of 18
joestay
Frequent Contributor

Thanks everyone.  I will be looking for a house at the end of december and want to get the best rate possible.  That's why I need to keep my score as high up as possible.  Do you think it'll be a problem with the longest account being about 3 years old?

Message 16 of 18
joestay
Frequent Contributor

Okay, so I just check my EQ score again today and I'm back up to 740 now.  My new 5k CL has reported and my utilization on revolving is less than 1%.  I went from 704 to 740 just because of that.  This is a huge difference.

@joestay wrote:

Message 17 of 18
larinoriani
Regular Contributor

@joestay wrote:

Okay, so I just check my EQ score again today and I'm back up to 740 now.  My new 5k CL has reported and my utilization on revolving is less than 1%.  I went from 704 to 740 just because of that.  This is a huge difference.

@joestay wrote:

That's great!

Starting Score: EQ 737--TU 742
Nov/2010: EQ 737--TU 742
Nov/2011: TU 753
Goal Score: EQ 800--TU 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.