Did you mean: 

Can I purchase a gift card?

tag
orestrus
Frequent Contributor

Re: Can I purchase a gift card?

I think walmart will let you buy their own GC ON THEIR CC
BofA 5k, Cap 1 Journey 300, Cap 1 QS1 300, Walmart 6k,
Amex BCE 2000, Amex PRG, Amex Delta Gold 2k, Macy's 5k, Bloomies 6k, Amazon 6k, JCP 5k Macy's Amex 1.5k,
Message 31 of 33
taxi818
Super Contributor

@orestrus wrote:
I think walmart will let you buy their own GC ON THEIR CC

Yes. i think they will do that. I could be wrong if they would let you buy mastercard visa with the store card. but maybe op has a walmart mc. we don't really know. but it appears someone else said they could buy a pre paid gift card. arent all give cards pre paid?

Message 32 of 33
IWOL
Established Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

A few different things can happen:

1) The chain may have a policy forbidding this, which might be hardcoded into the registers or just strictly enforced by staff.

2) An individual store may not allow this.    This happens for example with CVS, where although corporate policy allows it, if a store manager believes the area has a high rate of fraud, they can disallow it.

3) An individual clerk might not allow you, either because that IS policy, or because they think it is policy.  (Or they just don't like the look of you!).  Going at a different time to a different clerk might work

4) Fraud alerts from your credit card issuer.    Unusual high charges (e.g. buying a $500 card) may produce a fraud alert.   If in addition the charge is in a bonus category, the cc issuer may pay greater attention and ask what you are buying

Or you can be successful!

Have you ever actually had a creditor ask you exactly what you bought? Ive never had a creditor ask what I purchased as that is none of their business and you have no obligation to disclose the details of your purchases to them.

Message 33 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.