Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I qualify for an AMEX Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I qualify for an AMEX Card?

Hey folks.

Im just wondering if I can qualify for an AMEX card. Im not to picky on which one i can get but i'm wondering which is the easiest one to get with an EQ score of 685 last time I checked. I have about 9 accounts. 8 of them are current and one of them is an auto loan with one late back in 2004. I have a couple of unpaid collections and no public records. All this info is from my EQ report that I pulled about a month ago.

Should I try and apply or should I just wait? We just moved into a new home a little over a week ago and we need stuff around the house.Smiley Tongue

Thanks
Greg
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I qualify for an AMEX Card?

Amex will pull EX, so your EQ score is not important.  Do you know your EX score?

How old are the collections?

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

EX = 644. I have alot of lates on 12 or so accounts on that one though. Most of the accounts are old, 2003 is probably the lastest. No Public Records. A few old collections.

Im just trying to see what card I can get with my scores with a low percentage rate.

Thanks
G

Message Edited by theshadow12345 on 07-08-2008 11:30 AM
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for a Costco Amex with a fair score of around 660.
I've read on this board that you will have a better chance if your scores are higher.

Good luck!
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex doesn't like any baddies less than two years old, and that's for their lower-end cards like the Green and the Gold Delta SkyMiles.

Your EX score should be fine for one of those cards, but might be a little low for any others.  YMMV, as always.

Message 5 of 11
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Amex will decline quickly for high util. How are your balances on other cards?
Here we go again...
Message 6 of 11
jaybird201
Established Contributor

644 is pushing it a bit, though it really depends which card you're applying for. AmEx usually extends credit to those with 'good' (650-750) to 'excellent' (750-850) credit scores. If you don't really care which card you get, I'd stick with either the Clear or, if you have a Costco membership, the True Earnings. Those two cards are for the 'good' credit range.

The True Earnings card actually takes into consideration your purchase history at Costco so that may help you or hurt based on how long you've been a member, if you are one. You may even consider signing up for a Costco membership and apply for the card when you sign up -- you mentioned needing to buy stuff for around the house and Costco has great prices on all sorts of household stuff.
Also, if you have had or already do have an account with AmEx and your record is relatively good it'll improve your chances of being approved. It might be worth it to wait a couple of months before applying though.
Message 7 of 11
jaybird201
Established Contributor

Forgot to mention, good luck! AmEx is amazing
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

How is AMEX with a bk?   Must be at least 2 years old, or no go if on the report at all?
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Boscoe wrote:
How is AMEX with a bk?   Must be at least 2 years old, or no go if on the report at all?

No go at all, no matter how old.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.