Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I qualify for an AMEX

tag
breakdown1987
Valued Member

Can I qualify for an AMEX

Just wondering if I qualify for an AMEX since my score just jumped.

States:

Salary: 60-65k

AAoA: 2 Years

5 Accounts (All Positive)

Current Scores: 751 Equifax / 740 TU.

Cards:

Local CU Student Card- 1k limit

BoA Secured - $400.00 limit (graduates in August)

Utilization is below 5%. My only revolving credit is my student card. I would like to add 2 more cards to use for rewards. Any advice on approaching AMEX?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Can I qualify for an AMEX

Yes, you might qualify for Zync/ Green.

Ron.
Message 2 of 8
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

@breakdown1987 wrote:

States:

Cards:

Utilization is below 5%. My only revolving credit is my student card. I would like to add 2 more cards to use for rewards. Any advice on approaching AMEX?

Yes I believe that you would even qualify for a revolver with a low starting CL with Amex, which can be increased 61 days after opening.. Go give it a shot, I doubt you will be disappointed.. If denied try again in 30 dys for a charge card.. 

Its good to start sooner than later with Amex. 

Let us know your results. 

GL!

Message 3 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@nada9188 wrote:

@breakdown1987 wrote:

States:

Cards:

Yes I believe that you would even qualify for a revolver with a low starting CL with Amex, which can be increased 61 days after opening.. Go give it a shot, I doubt you will be disappointed.. If denied try again in 30 dys for a charge card.. 

Its good to start sooner than later with Amex. 

Let us know your results. 

GL!

You should be fine for a charge card, I would go for PR Gold.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 8
FrugalRican
Blogger

If you are 24 and don't plan on making any major purchases within the next year or two, burn the INQ's and see if you can get approved for a revolver like BCE or a charge card like Zync (to get your foot in the door).

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 5 of 8
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I applied in January for the Blue Cash Everyday with these

Salary:35

Average Age of Accounts:not sure but less than two

2 cards: Macys, 1000 limit and Amazon with 2380 limit, perfect payment history

Experian score from them was 730 or something around that I think, that is who they usually use by the way.

I got the your application needs further processing but a few minutes later looked at the status and saw approved. I rang them up and found that I was approved for 10,000. I think you would have no problem getting the same limit.

Message 6 of 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

You should be fine...   I would app for a charge card and a revolving account.... they should be able to open both with one HP although YMMV.  Amex is a great company to use at this phase in your life, you'll have the benefit of having a good "Member since..." date.  App for the charge card first.

Check out the rewards and see what you think will be most beneficial.  I'm going for the Blue or BCE in January to round out my Amex portfolio.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 8
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with the other posters. Your stats and scores are good, so you should be able to get either a charge card or perhaps a revolver with a low limit. The charge cards are easier to get than the revolvers and I'd say that you have a good shot.

At your age, it would be beneficial to get a foot in the door with Amex. You'll really appreciate the benefits of backdating as you get older and your credit file matures; if down the road you decide to apply for a higher end card,  you'd be able to apply with the knowledge that if approved, you'd get a boost to your AAoA instead of a ding. Go for it!

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.