Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I see an I.D

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I see an I.D

I put C.I.D. on the back of all my cards, even with that. I can probably count on one hand in my two years of banking how many times I been asked for ID... Most people are not trained to match signatures properly. Lots look similar, mind always changes (I am right handed and broke that hand really bad a year ago).

Message 31 of 51
danisgods
Regular Contributor

i write "see ID " in the back of my card and they still NEVER ask..... i live in Boston-MA

only once a girl in the mall in New Jersey when i bought some water, and once here where i live at a brazilian store.

it pisses me off big time.

Starting Score: TU 715 EQ 704
Current Score: TU 715 EQ 704
Goal Score: 760-780

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 32 of 51
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Per the agreement the merchants have with Visa and MC (don't know about the others), they're not supposed to ask for ID. They're supposed to compare signatures.

When asked, I show them ID, but I tell them (with a smile) that they're not supposed to. Confuses the heck out of them. But I'm not going to hold up a line at checkout by refusing to show ID.

Out of all the millions of times I've stood in lines, listening to the cashier ask to check ID, I've never heard anyone say, Sorry, your ID doesn't match and call the manager. Not once.

eta: lol, see below. They can't require ID as a condtion of sale, but they can ask for ID.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 33 of 51
laz98
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Per the agreement the merchants have with Visa and MC (don't know about the others), they're not supposed to ask for ID. They're supposed to compare signatures.

When asked, I show them ID, but I tell them (with a smile) that they're not supposed to. Confuses the heck out of them. But I'm not going to hold up a line at checkout by refusing to show ID.

Out of all the millions of times I've stood in lines, listening to the cashier ask to check ID, I've never heard anyone say, Sorry, your ID doesn't match and call the manager. Not once.

my gf & i use our cards interchangeably.  haven't had anyone try to arrest us yet Smiley Very Happy

Message 34 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@laz98 wrote:

my gf & i use our cards interchangeably.  haven't had anyone try to arrest us yet Smiley Very Happy

I think those places that do ask for ID only do it for the scare factor and not because they really check.

Message 35 of 51
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@laz98 wrote:

I think those places that do ask for ID only do it for the scare factor and not because they really check.

that's probably true.  most don't look at them very long.  i think they just match names.  not much they could do about me using my mom's cards, i guess, since we have the same name!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 36 of 51
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

thats funny. I work at a grocery store part time as a cashier while im going to school and i refuse at least 3 people a day cuz of kids using their parents cards. I dont care if its your parents or any relative. I will refuse the sale and my manager even tells them the same thing and they get all aggravated but they shouldnt even be using it in the first place

amazon
Message 37 of 51
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

I guess I understood things differently.  I thought they're allowed to ask for ID, but they cannot require the presentation of ID as a condition of sale.  That is, they can ask, you can refuse, and they have to ring you up anyway.

Off to see if I can find the reference somewhere.....

Message 38 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lel wrote:

I guess I understood things differently.  I thought they're allowed to ask for ID, but they cannot require the presentation of ID as a condition of sale.  That is, they can ask, you can refuse, and they have to ring you up anyway.

Off to see if I can find the reference somewhere.....

From what I remember after reading the Visa and MasterCard Merchant's Guide, you're right.  Still, Visa and MasterCard will send a warning letter to merchants who simply just ask for ID.

Message 39 of 51
stizzlerizzle
Established Member

I work in retail.  Very rarely do we even handle the cards anymore.  Most stores just have you slide it through their machine on your own.  The only time i check ID is if someone hands me their card and it says see ID, expensive purchases, or if something seems out of the ordinary.  We have declined people using relatives/friends cards before.  There are also times that people will tell us their ID is in the car never to come back again.   The only time we would call a manager is if the person gets irate, otherwise we'll just ask for another form of payment.

The real scary part is they no longer require signatures for certain purchases.  The store I work at does not require signatures for any purchase under $50 (and it keeps going up).  So someone could take your card and continue to ring up bills of $49.99 and we would be none the wiser. All in order to cut down on the extra 2 seconds it takes for someone to sign a paper on on the screens.

Starting Score: TU: 655 EQ: 701 (12/2010)
Current Score:TU: 673 EQ: 701 EX: 675 (2/2011)
Goal Score: TU: 720 EQ: 750 EX:720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 40 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.